Carrera Crosscity opinions?

Gubro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2017
London
Hi there.

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me.
I am new to the electric bikes, in fact I don't own a bike, so I thought, an e-bike would get me started (also from a fitness point of view).
My aim is to start commuting with an e-bike instead of using the car.
I am an office worker, and we have no shower facilities, so arriving to work without being sweaty would be important.
The commute is 5.5 miles each way, with some smaller slopes including.
My company does the cycle to work scheme. As I understand, it works with Halfords only.
I checked online and thought the above folder would be good, could keep it under my desk at work and takes up small space at home as I only have a communal bike shed and not keen to keep it there.

Do you think the Carrera Crosscity would be the right option for me?

Thanks and apologies if this was discussed already.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think the idea of putting it under you desk is going to work. These things are heavy, cumbersome and quite big. Go and ask them to demonstrate folding it and then have a go yourself. You'll see what I mean then. The easiest thing you can do is fold the handlebars down and the pedals up, which makes it fairly flat against a wall to keep it out the way.

• Informative
Reactions: Gubro and LeighPing

Gubro

Aug 29, 2017
London
I don't think the idea of putting it under you desk is going to work. These things are heavy, cumbersome and quite big. Go and ask them to demonstrate folding it and then have a go yourself. You'll see what I mean then. The easiest thing you can do is fold the handlebars down and the pedals up, which makes it fairly flat against a wall to keep it out the way.
Thanks for that, I will do as you say, hoping, that I still can hide it under my desk at work.
Apart from that, do you think this bike is a good starter e-bike?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Thanks for that, I will do as you say, hoping, that I still can hide it under my desk at work.
I can't seem to find any pics of it folded up. Which, as a unique selling point, is pretty weird.

Will it do the job of getting you to work reliably?

Read the reviews of those that have one. Ride it and decide if it's for you. :)

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-electric-bike

Reactions: Gubro
D

Deleted member 4366

As an e-bike, it'll be fine for what you want. It's the bit about folding it and sticking it under your desk that I think you'll have a problem with unless you have a massive desk. If you could fit it under a normal desk, there wouldn't be room for your legs. Also, you'll be off with a bad back before the week is out.

If you do go ahead with this plan, get a velcro strap to hold it together after folding so that you can carry it, otherwise it'll fall all over the place.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: Gubro and LeighPing

Gubro

Aug 29, 2017
London
Thanks, I bought it and seems to be a decent one. My desk is about 1.8m long, so it will fit easily.
Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: LeighPing