Carrera Crossfire E v Oxygen S-Cross MTB.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxygen can be derestricted and the Crossfire can't - if that's important for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Dog George

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have extensively reviewed my Oxygen eMate MTB on the review board. In essence, I love it - although I accept that it isn't the same model as the S-Cross.

Battery life is great, the motor pulls like a train, even in Eco mode, and the componentry is very good for the price level. I can't comment on the Carrera, other than to say I have one of their MTBs and it's very good. But I don't think you can go wrong with the Oxygen, if my experience is anything to go by.

• Informative

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Does the S-Cross have a torque sensor?

I do enjoy riding the Crossfire-e - the ride is quite "natural" feeling compared to some other bikes I tried in the sub-£1000 price range.

The one thing you can guarantee is that Halfords will have a sale where you can get at least 10% off the price of the Crossfire-e. Combine this with 10% off with British Cycling Membership and another 10% using the "voucher trick" (buying gift vouchers at a 10% discount if you can - there are several routes to doing this). The price is then substantially cheaper than the S-Cross.

Crossfire-e does seem to suffer from battery cutouts occasionally (although mine hasn't cut out for 200km now) - I still haven't got to the bottom of if this is due to the way the bike is ridden (cutting out with too much current when stomping on the pedels at low speeds in too high a gear) or a manufacturing defect (hardware).

I suspect you would be happy with either, but would advise you to try both before making a decision.

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Love my Crossfire-e. Aproaching 1000 miles since August, my daily commuter. Get the odd cutout (havent had one for a while though), just press the battery button and continue.
The bike is well specced, solid build, and handles nicely. Brakes are great, smooth gear change, single chainring on front (which is all you need), nice saddle, good acceleration, and as mentioned, smooth power and natural feel.
Easy to achieve range of 55-60 miles (I have done 50 miles with 15% remaining including some hills)
I was lucky enough to stack all the discounts (as mentioned above plus halfords 20% off all bikes)) in August so it came in at about £640, so a no-brainer at that price.
Still a great deal for about £900 with above discount tricks (or wait for a flash sale to drop further), and as mentioned, significant saving on the S-Cross
The only regret I have was not buying the missus one as well at that price in Aug

• Informative