Carrera E replacement.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
So do I have to bin this wheel and get a double walled one, as there is no point ordering spokes if this rim is not suitable?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can use single wall though spokes length will need to be perfect to prevent punctures, use a good rim tape and all should still be fine with double wall there is little to worry.

The link was a source of a cheaper rim option, have to admit sellers info was sparce so really needed a few more questions asked of him. When I see a lisitng I always ask question about the item before committing to buy esp if info is sparce.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
You can use single wall though spokes length will need to be perfect to prevent punctures, use a good rim tape and all should still be fine with double wall there is little to worry.

The link was a source of a cheaper rim option, have to admit sellers info was sparce so really needed a few more questions asked of him. When I see a lisitng I always ask question about the item before committing to buy esp if info is sparce.
Yes I should have asked, but didn't know what a double rim was until now. I have sent it back as it was very flimsy and not good quality. I wouldn't even have used it on a non elec hybrid bike.
As I am spending a lot on the kit, want a decent rim. Will search for a better one.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes I should have asked, but didn't know what a double rim was until now. I have sent it back as it was very flimsy and not good quality. I wouldn't even have used it on a non elec hybrid bike.
As I am spending a lot on the kit, want a decent rim. Will search for a better one.
No need to search. I already gave you a link in post #13, but you chose to ignore it! Are you superstitious then?

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
No need to search. I already gave you a link in post #13, but you chose to ignore it! Are you superstitious then?
No. Thanks for the link, but I was put off by the 'touring' description as I was looking for Hybrid as I thought it may be stronger.

D

Deleted member 4366

While I think about it, rims with eyelets don't work so well with 13g spokes because the nipples are too tight in the eyelet - so that's another reason to use plain 14g spokes and a one-cross pattern.

D

Deleted member 4366

No. Thanks for the link, but I was put off by the 'touring' description as I was looking for Hybrid as I thought it may be stronger.
Touring is hybrid! It means not ultra-light road bike. I doubt that you'll find rims significantly stronger.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Touring is hybrid! It means not ultra-light road bike. I doubt that you'll find rims significantly stronger.
Ok thanks for that. Is it worth going for with the eyelets issue that you mentioned above? If so I'll order it.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Thanks, looks favourite but just don’t like Presta valves.
Good old car valves for me every time!
Guess I’ll have to make do with a valve adapter..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Valve size is not a problem. If it's drilled for Presta and you want Schrader, you run a drll through the hole. If it's drilled for Schrader and you want Presta, you use a plastic insert.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Valve size is not a problem. If it's drilled for Presta and you want Schrader, you run a drll through the hole. If it's drilled for Schrader and you want Presta, you use a plastic insert.
Thanks Dave. What do you think to the 'deep dish' one above as it is nearby for collection? Do either seem better to you?

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The difference is the dimpled spoke holes with an angle on them. That probably means that you can go to 2-cross if you want.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Thanks. As the Q128C is not a large motor, I don't suppose that matters too much. Do you know the approx delivery times on the PSW power and the BMS orders?

D

Deleted member 4366

2 to 4 weeks. Be careful, we're approaching Chinese new year when everything stops.