Carrera

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
So basically it looks like the Crossfire-e, but with an MTB frame / wheels.

I got a refund for my Crossfire-e in the end - the HESC system is great when it works, but the electrics would cut out on a regular basis.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
Limited to the 250W on the vast majority of UK off road, my personal opinion is go mid drive over hub all day long.
That said, this is being delivered on a budget and will satisfy some for a while, and give more access to catch the eMTB bug.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Yep I agree with what you say, the bike is not for me, I have a mate that wants a bike and his budget is about £1500 and I don't think there are a lot of crank drive bikes about at this money.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Reckon it'll sell, especially when they do their 10% off everything flash sales, add british cycling membership discount on top, so looking at £800 ish. I have the crossfire-e and would happily buy a MTB version. Can put up with the odd cut-out issue, no biggy

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I think you are right, it will sell well at the £800 mark, what is the cut out issue with the bike?
It would appear some crossfire-e users get occasional cut-out of the power, normally resolved by removing the battery for a few seconds, I've had it about a dozen times in 1600 miles, hasn't put me off the bike one bit, great bit of kit for the money

• Informative

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
It would appear some crossfire-e users get occasional cut-out of the power, normally resolved by removing the battery for a few seconds, I've had it about a dozen times in 1600 miles, hasn't put me off the bike one bit, great bit of kit for the money
I had the cutout 9 times in about 600 miles - not too bad, but I thought it was unacceptable in what was my primary mode of transport to get to work.

Shame as it really is a fantastic bike to ride - I really hope the MTB version doesn't have similar issues.

• Agree

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
local Halfords Watford have the Vulcan mtb, this I was told superceeds the previous Carrera ebike.

nice looking bike has front suspension with lockout, 11,4 ah Panasonic cells
50nm rear hub hydrolic disks 23,5kg seems to have single front chainring,

the lcd display can be removed (it slides out)

think £1000 is fair , if the battery was 13ah I would be very interested but have 3 ebikes and no room.

do not know how many assist levels or if it can be deristricted.

if they do a special offer easter? might still be tempted

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
And up to another 15% off if you have access to a corporate gift card scheme.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hope they keep the crossfire-e bike, it's quite different, more hybrid than this one, plus there's no step through frame style (ladies) in this new bike.
However, this is a great looking bike, and if Halfords do the 20% off all bike promo they did last summer, plus the BC discount, it's a lotta bike for £700 ish

• Agree

PingCrosby

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2017
UK
Hi all, just bought myself the carrera vulcan ebike on the 6th of April and loving it, can confirm it has the cutout problem though, I've done 100 miles and it's happened twice, first time it happened I hadn't even got out of the Halfords car park after buying it lol. Told them about the problem and they said to bring it back in if it persists (which I think it will), it's not putting me off the bike though and I sort of was expecting it to happen from all the reviews I'd read about the crossfire. Cracking bike though and hopefully suntour will sort this minor glitch out. Just waiting for my Marathon Plus MTB's to arrive as I commute to work a lot and have done some trails up eston hills near where I live and this thing eats up hills....love it

• Informative