Chain and Sprockets

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm always pointing out that chain-wear is not a serious problem and my chain is working fine after 4000 miles; however, recently my gears started slipping, so, rather than mess about, I decided to eat a bit of humble pie and replace the chain and the cassette (free-wheel gears).

Here's the cassette:

old sprocket.jpg
Some will notice that some of the teeth look like shark's teeth instead of sprocket teeth, but when I show you a new one, you'll see that they're the same.

New 8 spd.jpg

So, I put a new chain on along with the new cassette, but the slipping was worse. I couldn't figure out why. The gears worked perfectly on the stand, but as soon as I put pressure on the pedals, the chain slipped. Then, ding ding ding, the penny dropped. I was looking at the wrong thing:

Old chainwheel.jpg

I bought the crank-set as a used one from Ebay when I built the bike three years ago. The chain-wheel is only aluminium, and I've no idea how many miles it had done before I bought it. Anyway, I got a new one from Ebay for £8. It's a Chinese replica of the original Shimano one. It would have saved me a lot of work if my guilt from boasting about chain and cassette wear hadn't got the better of me. At least I know that I can look forward to another 4000 miles without any problems:

new chainwheel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Funnily enough the guy I commute with went through exactly the same discovery today.... totally forgot about the chainring. Finally forced into action after a few heart stopping moments trying to navigate rush hour traffic, slipping everytime he put the power down.

John

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
I've done the same, changed the chain and then drove 50 miles to go mountain biking, only to find the bike unrideable when I got there. I knew better than go out without testing the bike before, a moments laziness cost me a couple of hours wasted time, 3 gallons of petrol and an afternoon of riding new trails.

What a pillock!

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Always worth changing front and rear as well as chain at the same time or the worn sprocket will wear the chain much faster than a new one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id change the pulley wheels as well ;)

Reactions: tisme

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I'm always pointing out that chain-wear is not a serious problem and my chain is working fine after 4000 miles; however, recently my gears started slipping, so, rather than mess about, I decided to eat a bit of humble pie and replace the chain and the cassette (free-wheel gears).

Here's the cassette:

View attachment 18887
Some will notice that some of the teeth look like shark's teeth instead of sprocket teeth, but when I show you a new one, you'll see that they're the same.

View attachment 18888

So, I put a new chain on along with the new cassette, but the slipping was worse. I couldn't figure out why. The gears worked perfectly on the stand, but as soon as I put pressure on the pedals, the chain slipped. Then, ding ding ding, the penny dropped. I was looking at the wrong thing:

View attachment 18889

I bought the crank-set as a used one from Ebay when I built the bike three years ago. The chain-wheel is only aluminium, and I've no idea how many miles it had done before I bought it. Anyway, I got a new one from Ebay for £8. It's a Chinese replica of the original Shimano one. It would have saved me a lot of work if my guilt from boasting about chain and cassette wear hadn't got the better of me. At least I know that I can look forward to another 4000 miles without any problems:

View attachment 18890
To the proud, daring sinners he says, Boast not of your power and reliability, persist not in contempt. All the present hopes and future happiness of the human race spring from the reliability of d8veh's bike.

Reactions: Woosh
D

Deleted member 4366

How much longer was the old chain than the new one?
That's a bit of a sore point. I counted the links and found that they both had the same number, but actually, the new chain was quite a bit longer, as I found out the first time I switched to the middle chain-ring, so I took two complete links out (4 links if you know what I mean), and I still can't use the small chain-ring. Either it's stretching at an extraordinary rate, or somebody needs to go back to school. I should have laid the chains together side by side, but to save getting my hands dirty, I always use the old chain to pull the new one through.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex