Chain guard/bash board upgrade modification

slevin27

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2016
leeds
Like many people already I found that the OE chain guard was clogging up with mud and causing problems, so I purchased the upgrade rings already on the market. I have only had the bike for 8 weeks and I've gone through 2 already (I swear they are made out of cheese) Then came the decision to change the chainring from 17T - 16T; which then would not allow me to tighten the upgrade locking ring to its required tightness. (picture attached to show the clearance issue and the OE lock ring)
IMG_0123.JPGIMG_0124.JPG

So I have taken matters into my own hands and turned down the OE locking ring on the lathe. I'm very happy with the modification, not only is it helping the mud and crud escape that area but it's certainly easier to torque up than the upgrade rings in my opinion.

IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0141.JPG

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Like many people already I found that the OE chain guard was clogging up with mud and causing problems, so I purchased the upgrade rings already on the market. I have only had the bike for 8 weeks and I've gone through 2 already (I swear they are made out of cheese) Then came the decision to change the chainring from 17T - 16T; which then would not allow me to tighten the upgrade locking ring to its required tightness. (picture attached to show the clearance issue and the OE lock ring)
View attachment 17691View attachment 17692

So I have taken matters into my own hands and turned down the OE locking ring on the lathe. I'm very happy with the modification, not only is it helping the mud and crud escape that area but it's certainly easier to torque up than the upgrade rings in my opinion.

View attachment 17693 View attachment 17694
Great idea if you have the skills andcequipent which ibdont unfortunately but have had my little silver one on and off a few times and am wondering how yours got broken....

slevin27

Dec 20, 2016
leeds
The silver rings aren't broken, but in this weather I am taking them on/off every weekend during the clean process and to get the required torque the material is not strong enough in my opinion.

slevin27

Dec 20, 2016
leeds
Yeah it's a Scott Egenius. I run a modified Scott espark chainstay protector over the bearing but it was not put back on after the clean down in this picture

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yeah it's a Scott Egenius. I run a modified Scott espark chainstay protector over the bearing but it was not put back on after the clean down in this picture
I find this odd as its different to mine..
I have had 2 Scott E-Genius e-bikes from different sources and both came with the same front sprocket arrangement which is 17T Sprocket, o-ring on shaft and lock-nut /bash-ring, unlike yours which has the inner chain guard. The OM lock-nut has been swapped for the OM supplied silver one and all seems well.
I noticed when last it was off for cleaning that the chain runs very close to the motor housing and in the lowest gear it almost touches.. Almost but not quite!! i remember thinking this is odd, but not a worry until In looking for a smaller cog I find this..
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/bosch-drive-unit-sprocket
Apart from the price this, like yours is very different to mine with its inner chain guard, and the advert states..

Please Note: This sprocket will not work with Scott E-Genius models as the inner plate has a 8mm offset. Please contact your dealer for these OEM specific parts.

So mine looked like this.. Clearly no inner guard.. and previous e genius was the same..
2016-10-19 16.02.39.jpg

slevin27

Dec 20, 2016
leeds
Just to confirm, yes both my 16T and 17T have the inner lip to protect against the motor casing, but I'm confused....who has said after every 500miles they need a new sprocket?

slevin27

Dec 20, 2016
leeds
Ah ok. Well the 17T had done 300m when I replaced it for the 16T and it was in good condition. It is worth pointing out that when I contacted Miranda they gave me a good discount ordering directly from them which came in a good £20 cheaper than ebike shop. (That's with the postage included)

slevin27

Dec 20, 2016
leeds
That wear is outrageous! Can't believe there is so much variation in soil etc on the same small island! I'll not moan about Yorkshire mud anymore.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly a lot of the terrain here is like this when dry.

And like this when wet. Look at the corrosion after leaving the bike for just a couple of hours.

Get on the South Downs when wet, and things can be even worse, when the chalk and clay mix together. :(

On the plus side of things, now that I have the private woodland to ride on, I can all but eliminate the above as no one else is around to spoil things by riding horses.

slevin27

Dec 20, 2016
leeds
So if I had bought the 29er egenius I was looking at I could have used the cheaper sprockets? Damn! Although I think I'm having much more fun on the plus than I would have on the 29er.

Related Articles

Advertisers