Chain Noise Grrrrr

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it might be the motor drive side bearing making a noise?

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Bearings fine. Noise still there. think i'm going to change chain first see how i get on. Hope i don't have to change cassette/sprocket.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My biggest moan I have with my Haibike is the silly little jokey wheel that is proudly patented by Haibike.

As you say, after about thirty miles or so the noise stars in the lower gears.

To prevent rust forming after getting caught in the rain I gave the chain a quick squirt of GT85 but did miss a bit.

Next ride I noticed the change when the oiled parts rode over the small wheel, that was a clue. So I now give the inside of the chain a squirt every second or third ride.

I have tried many types of lubricant, none are any more effective.

Keep the chain clean but apply a thin coat of your preferred lube on the inside.

Apart from that it's not a bad bike.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I used to enjoy seeing the Strava tracks from your long rides is there any chance of them returning?
Yes,not done many this year as we have had strong winds almost all spring and when it has been ok I have had other things to do.
Going on my hols now for 2 weeks but when I get back I will be out as much as possible as I have 3 stone to get rid of!!
On the positive side we now have 92 Strava club members.....

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Bearings fine. Noise still there. think i'm going to change chain first see how i get on. Hope i don't have to change cassette/sprocket.
I would personally change the whole lot and work from there then you do know that you have got a good foundation to work from to get the problem sorted out and finished with.

I have found the best lubricant to use for chains is finishing line it works well and when you apply it on the chain it makes the drive chain very smooth in the past i have notice the drive train is louder then using finishing line from now on i wont use nothing else

The only downside i would say is that the chain does get dirty quicker
But it does run smoother for longer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I have had this on two of my Haibikes, including my latest within the first twenty miles. I have found various sources including derailleur jockey wheels (best to remove them to clean them), dirt buildup on the inside of the SRS pulley, incorrect positioning of the chain wheel, it can be adjusted to sit a couple of mm each way. i have also now got most of my noise from the motor or its bearings. On changing the transmission for the EX 8 speed the sound continued, even with no chain. I have had the bearing replaced but it made no difference. I think a new motor is required.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Still working on noise, I'm not expecting silence, but I'm convinced it's a chain type noise rubbing on metal issue. When I was riding last night trying to pin point noise (not easy), it's definitely louder when assist kicks in, but this could just be more tension on chain etc, unless there are issues with motor. Lucky for me my bike is still not 2 years old yet, but before I look at motor I'm changing all, bit by bit starting with chain. I put bike on wall rack last night and the srs pulley was nosey so that will be next.
Still convinced this drive chain is not the best system and requires more maintenance than normal grrr.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think all you can do is keep it all clean and lubed up b4 every ride as on mine after 20ish miles it makes a noise again but more lube makes it go away for a bit but soon comes back again when the lube runs off the chain.

• Useful
Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I know, but it's crazy really to have to do this kind of maintenance. Anyway, I'm going through process of elimination and e-bike shop said my bike was bought in April 2016 (not the 1st). So plenty of time to look at motor. They can do a bearing upgrade for £60 if required. They said to post motor and then will turn around in a few days, but that's last resort.

I update as and when. Funny enough I asked about what kind of noise from the motor if failing from their experience and they said it would either make a rumble sound which you can feel through pedals or it just wouldn't work, so I'm thinking it's not the motor. hmmmm

Petersabo

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2017
Brighton
I had a very noises chain, check it and it had stretched a lot.. so decided to change cassette, front cog and chain (KMC triple hardened) now I can't hear any noise, even the motor seems quieter

D

Deleted member 4366

When i using other lubes my drivetrain was louder since using finishing line wet lube it has been running smooth

i would suggest getting a paint brush and cd marker mark where you start and lube every link and jockey wheels and see how you get on i am sure it would be better for you it was for me

Be careful of finishing line wet lube makes the chain look very dirty quickly i would decrease every 100 miles to get all the gunk off the chain

just use a chain scrubber tool like park tool to clean the chain to keep it in good order then re lube your chain will be running smooth then
Jeez, do you ever get a chance to ride your bike?

My chain lasted 4000 miles and three years. In that whole time, I think it got a squirt of Three-in-one spray about three times. The new chain has been on for three months, and the poor thing has had nothing yet.

All that lube and everything you buy must cost more than the chain. it reminds me of my sister's guinea pig. I told her that she should take it to the vets to get its toe nails cut. She said, "No thanks, it's cheaper to buy a new guinea pig."

• :D
Reactions: Fat Rat and Old1Eye

Mayonaise

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2016
Aberdeen
That noise the SES makes drives me mad. Its the only downside to the Haibike full suss Bosch bikes. Copious amounts of wet lube seems the only way to keep the noise down. Steep climbs are the worst in the low gears because of the greater offset of the chain line. Tried making a small chain guard for the SES out of an inner tube rubber to see if it contained the noise. It didn’t work. Would be interested if anyone has found a solution to this. If they made the sprocket out of hard rubber rather than aluminium it may be quieter but probably would wear out quicker.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to replace the ses wheel bearing as they dont last long anyway but i have also made the ses guard wider so it does not strip the chain of lube and cover it in crap.

DSC_0721.JPGDSC_0720_01.JPG

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Reading this thread makes me glad I have a hard tail.
Reading this thread just cements what I already know and the reason I would never buy a haibike
That stupid so called ingenious jockey wheel
Funny how no one else has this imaginary problem it’s meant too cure bloody lazy after thought if you ask me and just even less drive on an already small Bosch cog
Not good :(

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Related Articles

Advertisers