changing tyre(s) soon

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
so, my rear tyre is nearly due for change.
27.5 inch and 2.25 wide.
should i go wider (upto 2.5 or even more if it would fit)?
i try to ride as many singletracks as possible with sand/mud/hardpack as surface, no loose gravel locally.
currently ride stock Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution (57-584) ,rim says : 584 x 21C 6061
i haven't encountered lack of grip but while i'll need to swap them out, might aswell concider other options.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Having just acquired a bike with 2.6 inch Rocket Rons, but no experience of riding it yet, I have already realised there are some issues. For example, it is difficult to find a simple floor stand that will take them. (So I will be making my own...) And I have my doubts about several local bike racks being able to accept them.

Not show stoppers, but made me wonder whether I will find further issues.

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
just read a small review on those rocket rons (you have the 2nd version or 1st?) they were not very puncture resistant... as Schwalbe said so honest.
i really need puncture resistance since my tyre sees quite some thorns in the dunes... but thanks for your reply :)

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
i was just looking at the fat alberts from schwalbe... they seem a good replacement for the nobby nic.
not that i plan on staying with this brand, but other recommendations are most welcome :)
the current nobby nics rear is allmost worn at less then 1000km :-/

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
just read a small review on those rocket rons (you have the 2nd version or 1st?) they were not very puncture resistant... as Schwalbe said so honest.
i really need puncture resistance since my tyre sees quite some thorns in the dunes... but thanks for your reply :)
Go tubeless or slime inner tubes.
Use to get puncture every other ride, went tubeless with orange seal, not had a puncture since.
Rocket rons more of a summer tyre. Nobby Nics ok , Maxxis rekon on brothers bike seem good

Reactions: hannesd

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
outside of my rims are only 26.5mm so can't go too wide on the tyre.
nobby nics are 2.25" wide (tyre maesures 55mm wide) and i only have 6mm to spare on the side.

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
what slime do you recommend for inner tubes, latex or regular rubber inner tubes?
and is this high roller allso suited for the front?

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don't know! What is on the tyre to identify the version?

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
what slime do you recommend for inner tubes, latex or regular rubber inner tubes?
and is this high roller allso suited for the front?
Halfords do pre slimed tubes or you can add your own sealant. Currently using orange seal, works well.
High roller good front and rear

Reactions: hannesd

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
so, my rear tyre is nearly due for change.
27.5 inch and 2.25 wide.
should i go wider (upto 2.5 or even more if it would fit)?
i try to ride as many singletracks as possible with sand/mud/hardpack as surface, no loose gravel locally.
currently ride stock Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution (57-584) ,rim says : 584 x 21C 6061
i haven't encountered lack of grip but while i'll need to swap them out, might aswell concider other options.
Your rim may limit you to 2.35. Schwable addix compound offer a range compounds from soft to hard. For winter riding I'd go Nobby Nic or Hans Dumpf with harder compound and supergravity carcass. Magic Mary for front with softer compound.

Don't limit your self to Schwable, there are plenty of other brands with excellent tyres.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
im also looking at tires, running the stock rocket rons on my giant full e. plenty of life left but as i ride a fair distance on road to any off road trail i dont think they will last very long. nearest play area is 3-4 miles on the road and the better place is 11ish miles. how well do these cope on tarmac? are there better all round compromise tires that will serve me better when the time comes to replace them? asking now in case any sale items come up and can grab them ahead of time.

Reactions: oyster

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Couldn't give any advice. I avoid roads like the plague. If the trail starts three miles away, the bikes go in the back of the van plus that's an extra six miles of play time :)

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Couldn't give any advice. I avoid roads like the plague. If the trail starts three miles away, the bikes go in the back of the van plus that's an extra six miles of play time :)
im not driving at the moment due to a back injury so cant avoid the road riding. its made me more aware of unneeded car/van journeys

Related Articles

Advertisers