changing tyre(s) soon

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
take 1 of these to the mud and you're screwed
Totally agree, but put a good mud tyre on tarmac and your screwed, it's a comprise.
How much off road do you do compared to road.
Is grip more important than longevity?
They were offered as a trekking option for road with moderate off road use.
If you want total off road and don't mind wearing them out plenty of sale tyres out there. Picked up nobby nics @£36

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Not enough tooth for anything more than damp.
Planning on putting the Ron's on for summer where soft small teeth will be better suited to rock and dust

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Not enough tooth for anything more than damp.
Planning on putting the Ron's on for summer where soft small teeth will be better suited to rock and dust
aahhh ok, what width nics did you go with? will 3.0 fit or are they too wide?
you've got the +1 havent you, how do you find the giant dropper?

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
2.6 any bigger and might as well get a fat bike.
They suit the extra weight of the ebike without being too floaty and taking the pop out of the bike.
The dropper is OK, could do with a bit more drop length, at 100 mm is a bit short for steep trails. But looks easy to service and the workings are just an actuated damper which you just replace, no seals and fiddly bits, but you can strip and lube shaft and guides

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
2.6 any bigger and might as well get a fat bike.
They suit the extra weight of the ebike without being too floaty and taking the pop out of the bike.
The dropper is OK, could do with a bit more drop length, at 100 mm is a bit short for steep trails. But looks easy to service and the workings are just an actuated damper which you just replace, no seals and fiddly bits, but you can strip and lube shaft and guides
any idea where the sizes are on the tires? looking at my rons and no size markings on them anywhere

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've found Hans Dumpf have given good life on back, about 2000kms to half worn. That ia about 50% road 50% offroad. The new addix compounds should give better life. They roll surprisely well, I can ride above assist on road no problem ( flat &no wind) Wouldn't recommend these as front tyre, especially in winter.

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
maybe nics are my best option. they are a little harder than rons aint they. might weather the road a bit better
i have the nobby nics standard on my bike, front is pretty good allround, too bad the rear wears too fast because i do quite a bit of tarmac to get to my trails...

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I’ve got 2.8” Nobby Nics on my Powerfly. First ride yesterday and I had two falls due to the front washing out in the gloopy conditions in the FoD.
They’d be bloody terrible on tarmac, wear out in no time.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hannesd, take a look at Hutchinson tyres. I have run them for a number of years in a narrow section size, and can't speak highly enough of the them. Toro's are a superb compromise. Equally though, if you are happy with the existing tyre choice, just stick with that.

At the moment, I run one of my analogue hardtails with a Rocket Ron on the rear and a Racing Ralph on the front. 26psi rear and 18psi front.
This combination is brilliant fun, especially when conditions are as grim as they currently are. I get a weird satisfaction from having them skid/wash out, as it helps to greatly improve my riding technique.

The second analogue hardtail runs a Nobby Nic on the rear and a Magic Mary on the front. Both in 2.8 size. 18psi rear, 16psi front.

The third hardtail (eMTB) runs a Nobby Nic back and front in 2.8 size. 16psi rear, 14psi front. The tyre pressure is lower than that of the analogue mtb, but the compound is different, and this is the sweat spot for them.

In a kind of Ali Clarkson themed idea, I have also run it with 8psi front, just to see how horrid that things can be. I wouldn't recommend it, but it certainly gave good credit to quality of tyre seal and rim on the KTM.

I have yet to find anything that either of these bikes can't cope with, especially running the Magic Mary on the front. I wait and brace myself for the front to slide and it just doesn't happen.

What many seem to fail to do, is to use the correct tyre pressures for their requirements, and that is why they have so many issues. Combine that with poor suspension set up, and things are doomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

hannesd

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2017
belgium
Hannesd, take a look at Hutchinson tyres. I have run them for a number of years in a narrow section size, and can't speak highly enough of the them. Toro's are a superb compromise. Equally though, if you are happy with the existing tyre choice, just stick with that.

At the moment, I run one of my analogue hardtails with a Rocket Ron on the rear and a Racing Ralph on the front. 26psi rear and 18psi front.
This combination is brilliant fun, especially when conditions are as grim as they currently are. I get a weird satisfaction from having them skid/wash out, as it helps to greatly improve my riding technique.

The second analogue hardtail runs a Nobby Nic on the rear and a Magic Mary on the front. Both in 2.8 size. 18psi rear, 16psi front.

The third hardtail (eMTB) runs a Nobby Nic back and front in 2.8 size. 16psi rear, 14psi front. The tyre pressure is lower than that of the analogue mtb, but the compound is different, and this is the sweat spot for them.

In a kind of Ali Clarkson themed idea, I have also run it with 8psi front, just to see how horrid that things can be. I wouldn't recommend it, but it certainly gave good credit to quality of tyre seal and rim on the KTM.

I have yet to find anything that either of these bikes can't cope with, especially running the Magic Mary on the front. I wait and brace myself for the front to slide and it just doesn't happen.

What many seem to fail to do, is to use the correct tyre pressures for their requirements, and that is why they have so many issues. Combine that with poor suspension set up, and things are doomed.
WOW, you got me excited to do some research on the tyre suggestions and even more so, to experiment with MUCH lower tyre pressures then i could imagine!
i can't go to the wide tyre because i have a narrow rim, 2.25 tyre mounted as standard.
can def go to 2.35 ,not sure if i can go even wider. need to take in to account rim width and if i go too wide on the tyre, it might become too rounded
i assume you ride tubeless? what sealant fluid would you recommend?
thank you for the very formative post !

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've played around with several differing makes of sealant over the years, but keep coming back to two makes.

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/caffelatex-sealant/
The product has served me very well, and has consistently prevented failure by puncture. I also really rate their valve stems and tape. Buying the complete kit is usually the cheapest method of purchase.

Orange Seal is another that I have no complaints about, but as far as I am aware, it hasn't actually ever had to prevent any punctures. It stays in liquid form within the tyre for a nice long length of time, which is good to see.

Stand rime tape and valve are very good, but my experience of using the product, and always been very negative. From failing to prevent punctures from sealing, to balling up as hard rubberised mess. Clearly that is just my experience of the product, and others I'm sure would have had better experience.

• Informative
Reactions: argoose

Related Articles

Advertisers