Green phase to red battery
yellow phase to red battery
blue phase to black battery
etc.

Wildswimmer Pete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2011
Runcorn
No that was not what I said... The IR component is not in the same league as the NCE component. Were you to rip open the plastic packaging.. say crushing it in a vize , the chip for the nce component would probably be 4 times larger in area.
What's happening with the juddering is that current is going to the coils via the MOSFETs, but either one set of MOSFETs is not getting instructions to switch off and on, so the sequence is disturbed... Whether it is a controller or mosfet problem I don't know....
Please don't attempt to break open any power mosfets or similar power transistors. Many of them contain beryllium oxide which is extremely toxic. Speaking as a retired industrial electronics engineer.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Please don't attempt to break open any power mosfets or similar power transistors. Many of them contain beryllium oxide which is extremely toxic. Speaking as a retired industrial electronics engineer.
That is true about beryllium oxide, but I don't think it is used in the TO220 or similar plastic packaging. The die is directly bonded to the rear heatsink and the plastic is moulded to keep everything in place. I think it as more widely used in the full metal can packages like the TO3

Wildswimmer Pete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2011
Runcorn
That is true about beryllium oxide, but I don't think it is used in the TO220 or similar plastic packaging. The die is directly bonded to the rear heatsink and the plastic is moulded to keep everything in place. I think it as more widely used in the full metal can packages like the TO3
Some TO220 devices do use BeO2, I've come across them when servicing industrial equipment but to be fair that is in kit using high voltage/current transistors. RF devices are notorious for using BeO2. It's best to err on the safe side though.