Charging Battery

phillh

Just Joined
May 22, 2018
Hi,

I have just bough a Cube Acid hybrid with the Bosch motor and battery. The shop I bought it from was rather vague so I thought I would consult you guys and girls.

My question is, the battery indicator has max 5 bars . If for example I got it down to 2 bars and planned a long ride the following day, is it ok to charge it up then or should I wait till its nearly run out before charging it to conserve long term battery life?

Many thanks................................Phillh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
By and large, use it and charge it seems to be the best approach. Lithium ion batteries do not display the 'memory effect' of older Ni-cad batteries. Partial charging does no harm. Deep cycling (full charge to empty) can stress the battery and shorten it's life. Drawing full power consistantly can also stress the cells, so ride in a lower setting keeping the higher ones for Alp Duez or the last mile home when you're knackered.
I f storing for an extended period, charge it then go out for 8-10 miles to knock the edge off, store in the house in a cool room.

• Agree
Reactions: VictoryV and phillh

phillh

Just Joined
May 22, 2018
By and large, use it and charge it seems to be the best approach. Lithium ion batteries do not display the 'memory effect' of older Ni-cad batteries. Partial charging does no harm. Deep cycling (full charge to empty) can stress the battery and shorten it's life. Drawing full power consistantly can also stress the cells, so ride in a lower setting keeping the higher ones for Alp Duez or the last mile home when you're knackered.
I f storing for an extended period, charge it then go out for 8-10 miles to knock the edge off, store in the house in a cool room.