Charging laptop battery to 80%?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Both my new computers are typical of the new breed of wafer thin devices.. no room for any optical drives.. like going back in time.....
lol you want power then you got plenty of room ;)
But Can It Run Crysis!!!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I believe that computers are slowed down a little with each Windows update, well it seems that way to me.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I believe that computers are slowed down a little with each Windows update, well it seems that way to me.
It's a feature! And linux faster, they must be doing something wrong... :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yet win 10 pro does not offer support for more than 2 cpus ffs lol ;) you want 16-24gb of ram on a win 10 os

D

Deleted member 4366

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That's what I need. I knew you would come good one day. Thanks

Internet is very fast. 50Mb last I heard, but it might be more now.

I found this one: 3TB and £25 less.

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/wd-recertified/my-cloud.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-ezKBRCGwqyK0rHzmvkBEiQAu-_-LMEH-x86gsPZFPjwzD5KriX6RSH4V3e89MPBoeZJUxcaAu-x8P8HAQ#RWDBCTL0030HWT-EESN
Will something like this guard against ransomware? I update my business spreadsheets daily and save to Dropbox so I can access from anywhere but I expect that wouldn't save me!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I keep a log of my biking on iPads spreadsheet. One of my odd ways, but have discovered the last four months have been lost on the Delite page, and over a years on the Haibike. All saved on the cloud.

It's nothing disastrous but could have been important stuff, dents the faith in computers a bit.

So definitely my PC will not be replaced with a Mac.

D

Deleted member 4366

Will something like this guard against ransomware? I update my business spreadsheets daily and save to Dropbox so I can access from anywhere but I expect that wouldn't save me!
Yes, it should do, but I'm not sure if it can get infected too. Those last ones scrambled every drive on the computer and spread to all the computers on the network. It depends whether the computers are allowed to access the part of the network drive's hard disk remotely that's needed to to scramble it.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When I start my pc's I get a pop up showing a Dropbox sync update with any file changes before I physically log on. I tended to think that if you dont access anything dodgy you won't get hacked but the latest nhs hacking suggests otherwise. I now have a separate external HD that is disconnected and I backup periodically..

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Despite having protection to the crypto virus i thought but I got infected. It could have been anytime and having a delay before activating.
The cheek of it was wanting payment in bitcoin for the release.

Luckily for me, I had swapped the spinning hard drive for a SSD, so could replace the old one and clean off the SSD swap back again and retrieve from one of my backups. One is permanently coupled, one I plug in every three days so this time I was OK.

I have noted on another thread my loss of some stuff saved to the cloud.
Belt and braces are needed, the old adage of everything in triplicate still applies.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Having had the windows 10 sort of forced/tricked upon me, I tried to reset to the original windows 7 but it was no longer an option and like all this stuff it didn't come with a disc. It did have a partitioned bit with the OS on but that had vanished as well.System Restore gave me the option of a fresh windows 10 but having installed it it refused to boot up. Auto repair kicked in but that couldn't fix it either, so having spent some hours messing with it, tethered to the mains like a pre Gtech Vacuum because of the dud battery, I decided that enough is enough and retired it to the loft. If I can get it working it will do for my BKool in the winter.
So bought a shiny new HP laptop that doubles as a tablet when you turn it inside out.. (I like shiny new things which is why I dont have much money)
.. I also like shiny new things so I understand

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I was intrigued to see what was inside my old battery. It is a 2-POWER battery, same as my new one, and they state that Japanese and Korean cells are used.

Laptop Battery.jpg

Well, they are true to their word with Samsung 18650-22F inside the casing. Also, what looks like the world's tiniest BMS in there too.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was intrigued to see what was inside my old battery. It is a 2-POWER battery, same as my new one, and they state that Japanese and Korean cells are used.

View attachment 20128

Well, they are true to their word with Samsung 18650-22F inside the casing. Also, what looks like the world's tiniest BMS in there too.
.. don't assume that that is a BMS. It could just be a battery identification circuit. The BMS could well be elsewhere, as code in the BIOS of the computer.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In my Sony Vaio battery it was a BMS that looked very similar. Without it in the clone I bought to replace the original the software bit couldn't predict run time, the simpler BMS just controlling charging and LVC.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Advertisers