Cheap Brompton Conversion Kit?

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Connected the Battery

Decided to config the kit without the throttle and brake inhibitors, fewer cables to manage. Also the throttle grip had this crap ignition key thingie built into it.

Almost finished...

D

Deleted member 4366

The ones I had cut were 13 gauge. I could make it work but I run the risk of pulling the spoke through the flange
I only use 14g now because they give fewer problems regarding tension and breaking. I doubt that they'll pull through your motor. If there's a risk, you can use spoke washers.

12g spokes wouldn't have worked, so you were lucky to get 13g.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Where did you get the spokes? Maybe it is fine either 14g or 13g

D

Deleted member 4366

What batteries are you guys using?
Insatinternational will make you a custom cell-pack with a BMS. They made a 8aAh 30 cell pack for me, which is obviously 3/4 the weight of a normal 40 cell one. If you don't want much range and light weight is a priority, 20 cells is possible. You have to make your own enclosure.

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Insatinternational will make you a custom cell-pack with a BMS. They made a 8aAh 30 cell pack for me, which is obviously 3/4 the weight of a normal 40 cell one. If you don't want much range and light weight is a priority, 20 cells is possible. You have to make your own enclosure.
How many volts?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am guessing 36 V. 10 cells in series by two in parallel. From 5.2 Ah up to 6.4 Ah is possible with today's cells.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I am using Mac allister battery 36.v 4.0ah

D

Deleted member 4366

Bernard, I've been thinking since I did my last Brompton conversion. If I do another, I'd mount the controller in a permanently fixed box or pod where the front reflector is. That means tht you can leave everything other than the battery permanently connected, and gives the option to have a removable battery that can be fixed to a bottle-type carrier or, like you have in a bag.

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Bernard, I've been thinking since I did my last Brompton conversion. If I do another, I'd mount the controller in a permanently fixed box or pod where the front reflector is. That means tht you can leave everything other than the battery permanently connected, and gives the option to have a removable battery that can be fixed to a bottle-type carrier or, like you have in a bag.
Actually trying to figure out something similar. Goggle-ing around for a simple wire harness. Do you have any leads on a 8 conductor harness?

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
I love building wheels, it's very meditative.

I originally thought I measured for a radial spoke pattern but the single cross came out just fine.