Cheap Brompton Conversion Kit?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Btw I also did what Dave suggested. Everything is boxed and mounted on the stem apart From the battery. I only need to unplug the battery connector to the controller when charging. It is a lot easier

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Took my new rig out for a spin and it runs perfectly. Fells like 15mphs which is perfectly fine especially for my size. I may have to swap the chain set since I have a climbing set-up.

Question for everybody...

What kind of preventative maintenance is there for this type of hub. Judging by the size I assume it's a geared hub.

Reactions: LeighPing

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Make sure the screws on the hub is tight and sealed especially the disc rotor screws. The water can get it and corrode the motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

No maintenance is necessary unless you plan on doing 30,000 miles or more with it.

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Sometimes, they don't put the PCB in its slot properly, which allows the PCB to touch the case. I've seen that a few times, luckily before they were powered up.

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
New controller should be arriving this week but I am concerned about splicing the correct wires together. Power is not problem, it's the Phase, Hall Sensors, and Cadence wires that I'm concerned about.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
It should be straight forward as they are colour coded. Phase wires are a lot thank than hall wires so you won't them mix up

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
At a certain point this "Cheap Brompton Conversion Kit" is no longer Cheap.

Purchased the wrong controller to replace the one I fried.

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Here's an update on my build...

Hub motor failure. I think one of the internal gears is grinding away. I can hear something rattling around in the housing.

New Black Q100 motor

New controller and working on a centralized mount similar to the Nano2 Kit.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
That is what I am using and I am really happy with it. Very quiet running at 36v 328rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Nice

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
You are using the bigger controller box. Maybe you can switch to smaller one that makes it flimsy. Mine is smaller one and it fits all the connectors in.

Also, how about mount it on the front stem tube? It works on mine and looks neater

Bernard Manansala

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
You are using the bigger controller box. Maybe you can switch to smaller one that makes it flimsy. Mine is smaller one and it fits all the connectors in.

Also, how about mount it on the front stem tube? It works on mine and looks neater

I would like to use a smaller case but it's all the excess cable that I had to deal with.