Cheap electric folder. Help me choose x

Kate197

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2018
Cardiff
Hello all,

Please help me choose a bike. I have a shocking inability to make a decision about anything so trying to find a bike is impossible.

My circumstances are as follows.

I'm a girl (Don't sigh fellas)
I'm 5 foot 2
I weigh 130 pounds
My commute is 2.1 miles (should probably learn to run properly)
Mainly flat with one smallish hill

I normally drive to work but cardiff council has now made all my usual spaces permit only and I can't be doing with hours of driving round which causes me stress (I'm tough but it literally reduces me to tears) and then parking so far away I might as well have walked.

Now I would ideally like a folder so I can store it indoors or in the boot as my hubby has converted our shed in to a pigeon loft!! We have a lean too which would keep the rain off but not moisture due to humidity.

I can also get a bus so I will probably only be a fairweather cyclist and due to car running costs my budget is only around £600-£1000.

I've gathered a 36v is preferable but would that be essential? Would a 24v suit my smaller size?

I'd love a step through becase cocking these short legs is not a pretty sight, although the ones I have seen (juicy and wisper) are a little bit expensive for me.

I like the woosh gale and the byocycle Chameleon LS. Any thoughts please on those??

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Kate

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Any e-bike will be ok for that short distance commute Kate, so either one of those two you mention would be fine. The Woosh Gale is less expensive of course but the Byocycle Chameleon still within your budget and you can get that from your local Halfords.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you Flecc the Byocycle is £699 on ebikes direct at the moment.
Then unless something about one appeals more, seems like a spin of a coin Kate since they'll both do the job ok.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you. I think i like the byocycle best.
It's a long way off Kate, but since you say you'll mainly be a fair weather cyclist you might need to pay special attention to the battery next winter.

If you decide not to ride for months then it's important to top up the battery charge once every two months to keep it in good condition. If left uncharged for three months or more they can die and they are expensive to replace.

• Informative
Reactions: Sanjuro and Kate197
D

Deleted member 4366

Before you rush off and get something, there's a couple of important considerations. Firstly, do you have somewhere secure and sheltered to store it at work. If not, you have to think about how to stop it getting nicked and rained on. Secondly, all bikes need adjustments from time to time and electric bikes sometimes need electrical things fixed. If you don't have the skills yourself, nor anybody close by, it's going to be a problem for you.

The Pendleton from Halfords isn't bad, and it solves the problem about getting things fixed because there's nearly always a Halfords nearby. It's £750 at the moment, but the chances are that there will be a discount over Easter weekend. You can join British Cycling to get another 10% discount and cashback schemes, like Quidco, give you another 3% or so. You can use all the discounts together, which reduces the price substantially. That would bring the price down to about £59o or even less.

Folding bikes are not that convenient. You'll soon get fed up folding one up everyday to put it in a car boot. Most people would just drop down the handlebars, fold the pedals and stick it in a hall-way somewhere. Even a full-size bike can be made to take up much less room if you fit folding pedals, then, wherever you want to park it, you can turn the handlebars 90 deg so that they're in the same direction as the wheel. You only need a small allen key to do that and it takes about 10 to 20 seconds. With the bars like that and the pedals folded, the bike will be very flat against a wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36v offers 50%, more power /range & speed over 24v, the voltage makes no difference to bike size.
Ideal World now and then have offers on their folding ebike when there is a T.V offer on, so another possibility at the lower end of your budget.

The Pendleton is a good shout but if you lack the space to keep and store it at home and work then not a good solution.

Kate197

Mar 8, 2018
Cardiff
Thanks so much for the replies.

Flecc I had heard that about batteries but thank you for the reminder. I think I looked at a bike, maybe a viking vision that had a deep sleep mode. But yes I'd recharge when necessary to preserve it's life.

D8veh we have a bike cage at work which is secure but would not keep it dry. If I did get a folder I could take it inside. Re repairs my hubby is pretty handy and he knows lots of electricians at work.

I will pop to Halfords tomorrow and look at the Pendleton and certainly will hold fire on any purchase then and as you said wait for the Easter sales.

Health I think I've seen the ideal world bike, are they the elife bikes? Also been looking at the viking bikes. The Arriba is a step through which I quite like.

Again thanks for the replies.

Kate

Kate197

Mar 8, 2018
Cardiff
Nealth I know the voltage doesn't relate to actual bike size I was just thinking if a smaller lighter person would require the same power as a taller heavier person.

I've been looking at the coyote connect and it's not the low step i'd like but is a consideration due to price. It's only 24v though which is putting me off a bit.

Kate

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For a flat 2 mile ride may I be so bold as to suggest a non electric bike?? Especially as its a fair weather only ride. (Grabs coat)
I almost suggested walking since I'd consider that to for 2 miles, but didn't since I know not all enjoy walking as much as I do.

• Agree
Reactions: BornAgainCyclist

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm 5 foot 2
I weigh 130 pounds
My commute is 2.1 miles (should probably learn to run properly)
Mainly flat with one smallish hill
Hello Kate,

Please check the Woosh Gallego out. It is lightweight, easy to fold, easy to park under a desk, has a range about 25 miles. It also has a throttle in case you don't want to pedal.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego

Reactions: flecc

Kate197

Mar 8, 2018
Cardiff
Lol crockers there is a "bit of a hill", more than my little legs want to manage.

And yes I can walk to work - in 40 mins but I'm just too lazy.

Tbh I am looking at non electrics too. But pedelecs look fun and I'm an early adopter.

Woosh thank you for the link but I don't like the style I'm afraid. Your gale and petite are pretty but the Gallego isn't for me, at least not aesthetically.

I went and had a look at the Pendleton. The non electric version. Somersby I think was called? It was nice but huge. Their smallest size was 17 inch with 700 wheels and I'd like a 16 with 26 wheels.

I'm sounding picky now and I'm getting on my own nerves

Thanks again for the replies.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh thank you for the link but I don't like the style I'm afraid. Your gale and petite are pretty but the Gallego isn't for me, at least not aesthetically.
thank you for looking.
My recommendation was based on your specific requirement of a folding bike. Folding electric bikes are surprisingly heavier than non-electric folding bike, typically double the weight. The extra weight, extra bulk of the motor and battery make them difficult to move after being folded or to lift up and put in a car. The Gallego is rather more functional, lighter and more compact than most e-folders out there.
We have 4 folding electric bikes to suit different requirements. The Zephyr B is a full sized high specced bike for big riders, the zephyr C and Gale (low step) are for the average 5ft6-5ft8 riders and the Gallego for the smaller people.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kate197

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Kate, it’s a new Wisper 806se model. A few miles on the clock a few small scuffs. We can let you have the bike for £949 including delivery.

All the best, David

Kate197

Mar 8, 2018
Cardiff
The offer is great David, but my hubby spat out his coffee when he heard what I was planning to spend and my budget is now significantly lower :)

Thanks anyway.

I think I'll wait for now and see what's around Easter time in the sales.

Kate