www.whatonlondon.co.uk

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Don't get idea here really cwah

From memory the issues you have are

1. You overvolt and otherwise take kit to or beyond limits

2. You leave your bikes outside so water ingress is a massive issue

So I also did 1. Plenty of times. And burned a few controllers and some nylon motor gears etc

Why not just buy suitable kit for your needs?

For example get a 500w cst motor and a programmable controller. That way you can dial in speed and/or torque you need without burning either

That kit looks a whole bag of cheap. And direct drive. 360 quid later and hours to fit.....for it to last how long ? Minutes ? Days ? Weeks ?

You just need a good battery , a good controller and a good motor. And good wiring loom or quality cable and connectors if doing yourself

Which of these do you have already ?

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That kit is one of the Yosepower kits we have been buying and discussing, you are obviously not up to date Cwah. They all use KT 15A controllers with julet connections and are excellent value for the money. In the listings rpm varies from 270 - 320 rpm.

I have over volted mine using 13s & 20a controller 28mph in pas 5. They are 350w geared hub very much/similar to Q128C/Q100C & about 3kg in weight.

The motor wheel needs no dishing as it is already centralised when sat in the dropouts.
If Cwah uses it as it is then he shouldn't break it but we know he can't resist the call for more speed.

Thread for it
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yosepower-hub-kits.30061/

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I haven't been overvolting motor and controller for a while now.

It's just that I keep having issue.

Here s the list of issue I had recently:
1. leafmotor 48v DD with 72v kelly sine wave controller. Battery at 15s:
- I have 3 failed motor hall sensor in 3 years. 1 / year. I changed twice by opening the motor but now I'm just tired
- failed throttle something like 5+ times. I tried many many different type of throttle tbh.
- wiring issue due to water ingress... Can't count how many time it happened anymore.
- recently the controller failed. Probably due to water ingress, but maybe not

2x Bbs02 48v:
- I'm using it as is. Manufacturer controller and setting. It's just my battery that is 60v but it should be ok
- motor has developed a tick tick noise when pedaling
- when raining, the throttle run automatically
- now I have an error 30 and I'm tired of fixing.

So as you can see, it's not a burned motor, it's various part breaking gradually . I think in my ebike time I managed to fix most ebike part......

Diagnosis is very time consuming and I don't have time for that anymore.

What else is reliable enough? I m considering that part will fail at some stage whatever I do... Bear in mind that my cycling conditions are harsh (heavy rain and lot of miles) and even normal bike part breaks.

I m looking for recommendation for anything better tbh. No more bafang please, they all break even with their original kit.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

To get reliability out of any DIY installations, you have to pay particular attention to waterproofing, wire routing and things like that. That's more important than having the best motor or controller.

If you're going to leave it out in the rain, it might be better to only have a PAS and no throttle.

Reactions: cwah

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you want a system that can be rained on all days of the week? start with a rack battery.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
D8ve yes wiring is so important that I soldered all connections lol

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
you want a system that can be rained on all days of the week? start with a rack battery.
Woosh, surprisingly, battery the part requiring the least maintenance and probably the most reliable part I had so far. Thanks ncr18650pf!!!

Are you able to sell reliable kit, or at least have some sort of rapide After sale service when a part fail? I'm happy to buy it all from you except the battery as it's the only part that always works

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the reason I recommended the rear rack battery is because the controller box is well sealed and placed well away from surface water. That box protects the controller and connectors and usually is large enough to allow the controller to lose some heat - this is usually the fragile part of the system where faults occur. The motor if exposed to rain will require yearly maintenance - replacing the bearings and grease. There is not much you can do to protect the LCD against rain water. A small LCD is less prone to condensation than a large one.
Most of my kits are similar in composition to the one you picked, the difference is really down to the brand and model of the components. I use more expensive Bafang, Lishui controllers and King Meter LCDs. I will bring in lower cost KT parts and cheaper motors in the summer.