Check your rear car bike rack before buying a E bike

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Thought i would let you guy,s know about my rear car bike rack i going in my motorhome for a 6 week holiday and taking my e bike with me + my wife,s light weight bike.

I have a Thule 9502 rear bike carrier and this is the first time i have used it from i bought my Oxygen e bike back in November 2011. I have found that the e bike wont fit properly
onto the WHEEL HOLDER of the bike rack the e bike is to long for the carrier and i would think that it is far to heavy for the bike rack. So i wont be taking my e bike with me on holiday so will have to revert back to the my light weight bike .

So a word of warning check that your e bike that you are buying fit,s your bike rack and remember about the weight of the bike .

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
and why we changed to E bikes with a normal wheelbase. You have to select a rack with care as many only have a 30-35kg payload. Thule do an E bike specific rack.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
That is a shame David but you're not the first to discover that problem. I do hope you still manage to enjoy your time away nevertheless. That's why folders are so popular with the camping fraternity although, as Eddie states, there are other ebikes better suited to bike racks and my alternative bike for that purpose weighs 17Kgs with battery, about 15Kgs without and that has a normal wheelbase which fits my Fiamma rack.

Hey!.....it's a great excuse to go out and buy another bike.

Indalo

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
That was one of the reasons I didnt go for the Raleigh Dover.......wheelbase too long for my motorhome rack......Tonaro fits great.....though I wouldnt put more than one on it....well, I did once without problems but better safe than sorry.

That is a real pain that you cant take your new e-bike ....no chance of changing your rack ?

Lynda :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
cant you extend the wheel holders somehow? Sure I remember someone recently,who managed to reverse brackets, and this meant it was OK for the e bikes....cant remember who said it

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Cant extend the WHEEL HOLDER and been looking all morning on the web for a tow ball bike rack that would suit but no luck. Been to a fabrication company with the bike and rack and they say that the whole rack would need to be remade to take the weight and length of the bike and as a one of it would not be worth it best bet is to sell the bike and start over again. So when i come back from my holidays i think i will sell the bike and look for one that suits the rack and a bit lighter one i might look at is Kalkhoff Agattu 8-speed Ltd Edition but that may heavy to . This has been a very expensive lessen for me and yet they sell bikes like the oxygen at the motorhome shows so when on holidays i will look around for a alternative e bike .

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I don't know about the weight, i don't know what your bike weighs, but the Agattu is listed at 25KG.
I have an Agattu and don,t have a problem with weight, the length is a different matter. It was me who suggested turning round the wheel mounts, it's how i got round the long wheelbase problem on my Mont Blanc bike rack.
Many, many years in engineering also helps :D

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
i have been onto Thule about there e bike carrier and they tell me that it is OK for the weight of a 25kg bike but it only takes the stanard size bike like what in the picture.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
i have been onto Thule about there e bike carrier and they tell me that it is OK for the weight of a 25kg bike but it only takes the stanard size bike like what in the picture.
but the video on link I posted shows 2 e bikes? second with stretched wheelbase, with battery behind seat post (like yours and a Kalkhoff) rack also has a 60kg payload........

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
OK thank,s for the information eddieo i will look at this video again i did speak to Thule and sent them a
photo of my bike and the came back to me and said that the rack was not suitable for my bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
check with Tom what kind of bikes he has...Just make sure! got to be easier then a new bike...

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Have travelled many hundreds of miles with a ProConnect diamond frame and Pro connect step thru' on the Euro916 ebike carrier. It's been excellent with absolutely no problems. Previously had another Thule carrier on which the ends folded inwards for storage. Again no problems and travelled widely in Europe. The E916 is easier to fit and better suited to ebike as it has a wider separation between the bikes (only a bit!) and stopped the need for anti-rubbing pads between the bikes and it's better for the slightly longer wheelbase. Mind you had no problems with earlier model.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Some racks are big enough. I was a bit worried when I took my 906 over the QE2 bridge as it needed transporting on their shuttle service, it fitted on the Thule rack with a bit to spare despite being possibly the longest ebike* on the market.

* Tandems and cargo bikes excepted.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
My Wisper 905sel just, but only just, fits on the Thule 916 and I use the Thule 9151 Loading Ramp to wheel it on. You have to be very careful not to overshoot the wheel supports; assistance to keep the bike steady until the wheel rim straps and retaining bar are secured is recommended.
:)