Chrisrmas presents?

E

Erin0110

What are you going to present to your friends and family?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I am not buying for any children so I am buying nothing for friends and family. We have all decided that the money is better spent paying for the current and future price increases in food etc

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
What are you going to present to your friends and family?
I/we have bought some presents (books) for close friends and my wife. (The books are not about cycling or ebikes :D). I have rebelled over Christmas cards (particularly to my Australian relatives) and are about to send ecards/greetings today and making a donation to Homeless Action (part now of QSA) instead.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I gave up buying prezzies over 20 years ago, as buying for someone can be hard .
Even the Mrs dosen't get anything , I tell folks it is better to spend the money and buy something for themselvesbthta suits their taste far better , rather then feel underwhelmed or unappreciative which often happens with some choices. I always remember as a child the typical responses to relatives gifts on opening , ' ah what I always wanted '.
For this years Christamas I have bought a 21v hand held small chain saw for cutting up firewood and a thermal imaging device.

Christmas Eve morning is a bit more special here this year as a we are going to collect a 10.5 y/o female feline who is in desperate need of rehoming. Her owner has gone into a home and no family or any friends want's her and rehoming centres are over whelmed and refusing new intakes. The foster carer says all she wants is food and lots of affection esp when she rolls over for tummy rubs.
My 12.5 & 1 y/o felines are in for a surprise.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I gave up buying prezzies over 20 years ago, as buying for someone can be hard .
Ditto.

Xmas, Black Friday, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Halloween, Easter are all just commercial rackets, as even Guy Fawkes Day was becoming some years ago before people got their fingers burnt, literally.

My car is safely locked away in the garage and won't see the light of day again until 2023, and if the weather continues as at present, nor will I !!

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I couldn't resist a couple of Shimano new unused 504Wh batteries for £132 each, delivered after an ebay discount voucher. But those are for me!

They are the same model I use on my solar setup, but not seemingly widely sought after. Usual price is towards £500 each...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I couldn't resist a couple of Shimano new unused 504Wh batteries for £132 each, delivered after an ebay discount voucher. But those are for me!

They are the same model I use on my solar setup, but not seemingly widely sought after. Usual price is towards £500 each...
That's a good score! Do they work? If so, you could sell them on for a profit, and buy more solar panels for your MkII

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
That's a good score! Do they work? If so, you could sell them on for a profit, and buy more solar panels for your MkII
Not expected until early Jan, and may have sat on a shelf for a while. But hoping they will be close to as new capacity. There may be a diyed bike with shimano electrics some time in the future, already have everything but the display. It was too much battery for too little money to resist.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not expected until early Jan, and may have sat on a shelf for a while. But hoping they will be close to as new capacity. There may be a diyed bike with shimano electrics some time in the future, already have everything but the display. It was too much battery for too little money to resist.
You might be lucky - I bought some "Old new stock" batteries for laptops long out of production, and worried they would be totally unresponsive to my chargers... but they worked, despite being in storage for years, and are still working. Mind you, odds of old laptop battery packs being functional are probably higher, because they contain far fewer 18650 cells.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
Oh, I understand your point about presents :D I live in another country and I would like to send my mum and sister flowers for Christmas, I found this delivery (spam link removed) if someone has had the experience of delivery from another country, share, please. I'm afraid they won't be delivered on time.
A Bot now starting threads?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Christmas Eve morning is a bit more special here this year as a we are going to collect a 10.5 y/o female feline who is in desperate need of rehoming. Her owner has gone into a home and no family or any friends want's her and rehoming centres are over whelmed and refusing new intakes. The foster carer says all she wants is food and lots of affection esp when she rolls over for tummy rubs.
;) Only 97 to go...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Taking on an old cat is quite brave. Has the new one settled in? It can be weird introducing new cats. My two (now sadly deceased, I miss them) were brothers from the same litter, teamed up tag-team style to destroy the other neighbourhood moggies. They were massive monsters - one trademan told me I wasn't allowed to keep panthers lol. I believe their smells have to mix before "Yours" and "Mine" becomes "Ours", for cats - maybe rub bedding of different cats together? I don't know what the advice is. Worst case is if one cat is chased away - they're very territorial beasts. Keep them indoors for at least a month?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A Bot now starting threads?
That particular bot has done well by using a disarming profile pic, staying under the radar and by posting rarely...

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My new batteries arrived yesterday, much sooner than the January date I was expecting. In original Shimano packaging, with original shipping label to the company I bought them from, dated April 2019. So unused but 3.5 years on a shelf.

Opened up, power button shows three out of five bars of charge, so I will fully charge and then connect to the bike and see what range the display thinks I have. A perfect score is 180km in level 1.

Bated breath...

20221229_105233.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Considering they are canbus one can't quibble at the price, which is a very good one at that. I doubt you will see much depreciation in capacity if they have been stored at 3 bars which is likely around storage volatge value.

The cells will be grade A ones and not a lesser quality grade cell.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The results are in for the first one:

IMG_20221229_151704258_HDR.jpg

168/180 = 93%, so anyone who said 2% loss of capacity per year would be spot on.

Good enough.

Last edited:

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Even the Mrs dosen't get anything , I tell folks it is better to spend the money and buy something for themselvesbthta suits their taste far better , rather then feel underwhelmed or unappreciative which often happens with some choices. I always remember as a child the typical responses to relatives gifts on opening , ' ah what I always wanted '.
For this years Christamas I have bought a 21v hand held small chain saw for cutting up firewood and a thermal imaging device.

That's fantastic you are adopting that cat and hope it works out well. Any chance of a picture of her? You can see my cat as he is top left of my post, that is Conker and he is a very mischievous cat.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
She's a feisty old girl but is so loving , any one human is a friend.
My two felines aren't put off by her feistiness and are keen to see and get to know this girl. We are into day 6 nearly so still early days yet, the vociferous screaming at them and scowling has gone though she grumbles under breath at them if they get closer then 6- 7 feet and will chase then off swearing at them.

Miss Molly.
She has Iris freckles which leads to believe she has Iris melanosis which means the pigmentation cells are benign vs cancerous melanoma of blocthes however Glaucoma could be a future issue.
She is portly and over weight when I visualy body scored her, her previous diet has been predominantly devils food aka dry/biscuit food. This has already been put aside to feed the foxes and like my other two are on good high content meat wet grain free food. She currently is at 5.2kg so aiming for 4.5kg (during the comingyear) to start with to see how she body scores.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Glaucoma could be a future issue.
Speaking as a non-vet, the irises can be damaged by infections as a result of cat flu, I don't think you need to worry about glaucoma, if you're worried because of how her irises look.

My two felines aren't put off by her feistiness and are keen to see and get to know this girl. We are into day 6 nearly so still early days yet, the vociferous screaming at them and scowling has gone though she grumbles under breath at them if they get closer then 6- 7 feet and will chase then off swearing at them.
They'll eventually establish and accept a pecking order, easier if there is an abundance of food. I'd keep them indoors for weeks, until there's complete social cohesion. Else the weakest may be chased off.

Last edited:

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
Same this end , but unlike you my three can’t ride a bike , checked your site and seems nothing bigger than hand size

Advertisers