Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redalexx

Pedelecer
Hi,

i'm a member of the german pedelec forum and collecting information about the Impulse2 life time (endurance) and the occurence of failure like clacking or squeaking. I have the idea to make an mileage estimation for the occurence of the different failure mechanism.

Thanks to Tomtomato for giving the first infomation and the idea to look in the UK pedelec forum.

Again the link that mguzz posted already:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQ6DqHS4uXCNybjnlXZD3dOU_ylw5Qwsc0_89coCsF0/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQ6DqHS4uXCNybjnlXZD3dOU_ylw5Qwsc0_89coCsF0/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks. Alex

Mr MSJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
Welcome to the forum Alex!

Mr MSJ

Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
Dear 50cycles, Tim, Matt Goodes, Joe,

In short.

I have bought bicycle in 03.2013. Didn't ride much due to illness...And 2 months bike being in your workshop. 10 months in my hands.

1st Motor replacement 03.2014 after begging you that bike was not safe to drive and video evidence provided. My illness got worse further which meant I could not drive it most of the time.
May 2014 Nexus 8 IGH failed, I asked for replacement, it went silence from you..

Motor Clacking started to appear April 2016 and motor pawl failed May 2016.
I called to east Sheen London store and employee has been spoken to me as I'm "LITTLE PERSON" making me left completely emotionally disturbed..(good service, I suppose. I am sorry that I called to your company, 50cycles..) it took a month to clean up my head from the past conversation with your employee in Sheen store.
I again approached yourselves this time through Joe in June 2016. He said I'm well outside the warranty period (ie 2 months, lol) after new motor was fitted in March 2014 ( even though describing my circumstances and very low mileage on the motor).
Got a bill of £500 and a new motor with two years warranty. Why £500? You may ask? I have disability, my wife in the wheelchair, both not able to work, two kids... We are beyond stretched I said.. I can fit the motor myself to ease the price- I said. Ok then, £500 is the bottom price- Joe said. And he threw new chain wheel in the parcel free of charge.

Well, 50 cycles....

To the forum members. I have promised to ditch the bike all together after that "Sheen London store" experience.. but I couldn't... I adopted bike to my needs greatly. Extremely upright position for the wrist and back problems, different handlebars and adjusting height position steam. Balloon tyres (60mm) reducing road "noise", new mudguards . Nuvinci 360 hub for stepless transmission (after Nexus failed within warranty, 50 Cycles..). It was quite difficult to put my head together to look for another bicycle ( I've tried but it took lots of mental energy and I could not succeed..) so I chose to go new motor way... it is my personal failure to give away another £500 to the ticking problem, but whoever of you had (I hope temporary) mental difficulties in your life , I believe, you would understand why I took that choice..

Great to be in the forum fellow E bikers.

Thanks.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My Woosh folder (Gale) is now 3 years old.
Battery still fine,
Bike still fine. It has stood a lot of abuse, riding along beaches etc., bashed the derailleur mechanism silly on a large pebble, bent it back to shape and it still works as it always did.
Cost £540

Reactions: Mr MSJ

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
My Woosh folder (Gale) is now 3 years old.
Battery still fine,
Bike still fine. It has stood a lot of abuse, riding along beaches etc., bashed the derailleur mechanism silly on a large pebble, bent it back to shape and it still works as it always did.
Cost £540
Mike how very dare you to imply your Chinese budget bike is a reliable steed. Just stop it it's not German quality you know.

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
Hi All,

I hope you are all enjoying the great cycling weather.

In light of this situation to assure all our customers that own a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 bike that we at 50cycles on behalf of our loyal customers have managed to get Derby Cycles to extend the 2 year manufacturer motor warranty to be applied from the date of the unlikely event that a new Impulse 2.0 motor is fitted. Every time the motor does not last 2 years from the date the replacement was fitted.

This is unheard of in any motor or cycle industry warranty guidelines and we feel it shows that Derby Cycles are confident in the reliability of its own motor system.

If you do experience a motor problem please contact Joe directly on after-sales@50cycles.com

Our workshop has space available to book in for either Bronze, Silver or Gold services. If you own any brand of electric bike and are local to any of our locations in London, Bristol, Brighton and London please Email Joe for more details.

Best regards

50cycles Team

Mr MSJ

Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
3rd time.. Cut and paste ... No human touch..

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Our workshop has space available to book in for either Bronze, Silver or Gold services. If you own any brand of electric bike and are local to any of our locations in London, Bristol, Brighton and London please Email Joe for more details.

Best regards

50cycles Team
And they have the nerve to tout for business come on Tim you should be better than that.o_O

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
And they have the nerve to tout for business come on Tim you should be better than that.o_O
Dear Dinger,

Sorry you feel that way. All the messages have been different and adapted in response to the forum replies.

Our service to our customers and all electric cyclists we take very seriously indeed and when that comes in to question, we need to get the message out loud and clear that if your motor fails it will be replaced as many times as it needs to be. If the motor fails within 2 years of it being fitted it will be replaced. This is not an extension of warranty from 50cycles but from the manufacturers Derby Cycles themselves.

To ensure that all Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 owners and potential owners get the message we will continue to copy and paste the bulk of this message so it is not lost as a service to all Kalkhoff owners. If you motor fails, email us and we will test, update software and replace motor if needed.

Again in light of this recent situation to assure all our customers that own a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 bike that we at 50cycles on behalf of our loyal customers have managed to get Derby Cycles to extend the 2 year manufacturer motor warranty to be applied from the date of the unlikely event that a new Impulse 2.0 motor is fitted. Every time the motor does not last 2 years from the date the replacement was fitted.

This is unheard of in any motor or cycle industry warranty guidelines and we feel it shows that Derby Cycles are confident in the reliability of its own motor system.

If you do experience a motor problem please contact Joe directly on after-sales@50cycles.com

We do hope you enjoy the rest of the cycling season and look forward to seeing you all at the Cycle Show 2016 where you can test ride the latest models that the electric bike world has to offer.

Best regards

50cycles Team

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Dear Dinger,

Sorry you feel that way. All the messages have been different and adapted in response to the forum replies.

Our service to our customers and all electric cyclists we take very seriously indeed and when that comes in to question, we need to get the message out loud and clear that if your motor fails it will be replaced as many times as it needs to be. If the motor fails within 2 years of it being fitted it will be replaced. This is not an extension of warranty from 50cycles but from the manufacturers Derby Cycles themselves.

To ensure that all Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 owners and potential owners get the message we will continue to copy and paste the bulk of this message so it is not lost as a service to all Kalkhoff owners. If you motor fails, email us and we will test, update software and replace motor if needed.

Again in light of this recent situation to assure all our customers that own a Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 bike that we at 50cycles on behalf of our loyal customers have managed to get Derby Cycles to extend the 2 year manufacturer motor warranty to be applied from the date of the unlikely event that a new Impulse 2.0 motor is fitted. Every time the motor does not last 2 years from the date the replacement was fitted.

We do hope you enjoy the rest of the cycling season and look forward to seeing you all at the Cycle Show 2016 where you can test ride the latest models that the electric bike world has to offer.

Best regards

50cycles Team
Thanks for the response'

However good that gesture is there will be point when enough is enough,so a suggestion might be is that any Kakhoff with the replacement Impluse 2.0 motor fails then a full refund of the purchase price or pro ratio refund be given up to the 2 years from proof of purchase would be the better offer.:)

Mr MSJ

Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
"To ensure that all Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 owners and potential owners get the message we will continue to copy and paste the bulk of this message so it is not lost as a service to all Kalkhoff owners. If you motor fails, email us and we will test, update software and replace motor if needed."

Thank you for explaining "cut and paste" bit.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks for the response'

However good that gesture is there will be point when enough is enough,so a suggestion might be is that any Kakhoff with the replacement Impluse 2.0 motor fails then a full refund of the purchase price or pro ratio refund be given up to the 2 years from proof of purchase would be the better offer.:)
50 cycles have been in a tough position not of there own making.
They bought and sold a premium bike in good faith. Then it started to fail due to manufacturers ....
But the as retailers had to carry the can. They have been insulted and under verbal siege. What could they do. The cost of replacing all the bikes they sold would bankrupt them. The repair work and additional time spent on this will have slashed there profits.
Derby have made effort to replace the motors 50 cycles are doing the dirty work for virtually nought.
Don't try to drive them into bankruptcy please.

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
Thanks 50's cycles. i am very happy with my bike and feel very reassured that I will get good service. I am sorry that a few are making it hard for you on here. I just love my Tasman. Thanks.

• :D
Reactions: tillson

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
50 cycles have been in a tough position not of there own making.

The cost of replacing all the bikes they sold would bankrupt

Don't try to drive them into bankruptcy please.
That's the last thing we all would want to do,but when you've spent a lot of money on a product that's not fit for purpose and reading that how many times these motors and replacement ones have failed it must come to a point it makes more financial sense to refund on a pro ratio also don't forget most of the Kalkhoff owners do not live around the corner and therefore you have the hassle of the courier and don't forget the costs involved.:)

Phil1701

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I have also moved away from kalkhoff and the impulse because of two motor failures.The bike i have now has the Bosch CX motor and so far no problems after being well used since february with a x3 dongle.
This time i bought fairly local to cut down on the hassle.
Hello Nemesis, can I ask where you bought your Cube ebike from? Somewhere in the Manchester area?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Hello Nemesis, can I ask where you bought your Cube ebike from? Somewhere in the Manchester area?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
I bought it from Mtb Monster who are in Lancashire,great people and even had a small discount.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
In fairness, I think 50 C have made a reasonable offer. If I have interpreted their words correctly and your motor breaks after 23 months, you will get a new one fitted with a new two-year warranty on the replacement motor only.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a bike costing between £2000 and £4000 to last for five years without incurring major expense. This offer is a a start in the right direction.

• Agree
Reactions: countarthur
Status
Not open for further replies.