Clever new Rohloff e-shifting

mark sutton

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2016

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They both know we've no way of measuring it to check. ;)
But I've got an Audi so I could possibly/theoretically find some means of accessing diagnostic data, whereas a Rohloff E-14 isn't going to be coming my way in a hurry. Unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Been riding my Rohloff none Ebike since 2004, and the SpeedHub just gets better as each year passes.

I like the idea of the E-14, although is it realy nessacery, one day I may buy a Ebike with CD drive, and the plan is to remove the antiquated derrailure system and use my Rohloff SpeedHub.

To my mind though, Rohloff could do better, and team up with Bosch to have the SpeedHub gearing embedded into the CD motor unit, this would in my opinion be a far better solution, for the gearing of an Ebike.

Having the gearing built into the CD motor, would simplify the rear wheel setup, and remove unwanted weight from the rear of the bike.

Continental already have an ebike with CD drive that has internal gearing in the motor, this is definatley the way forward, and one day will become the norm for Ebikes.

D

Deleted member 4366

Been riding my Rohloff none Ebike since 2004, and the SpeedHub just gets better as each year passes.

I like the idea of the E-14, although is it realy nessacery, one day I may buy a Ebike with CD drive, and the plan is to remove the antiquated derrailure system and use my Rohloff SpeedHub.

To my mind though, Rohloff could do better, and team up with Bosch to have the SpeedHub gearing embedded into the CD motor unit, this would in my opinion be a far better solution, for the gearing of an Ebike.

Having the gearing built into the CD motor, would simplify the rear wheel setup, and remove unwanted weight from the rear of the bike.

Continental already have an ebike with CD drive that has internal gearing in the motor, this is definatley the way forward, and one day will become the norm for Ebikes.
Bosch is already too heavy. A Rohloff is too heavy as well. Put the two together and you have double too heavy.

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
How much do think this motor/gearbox combination will cost when fails out of warranty. Currently Bosch motors are about £600-700 for exchange motor.

With separate IGN you can transfer it to another bike.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
On the contrary d8veh, by combining the two, there would be an overall weight loss, compared to current set up's using the Rohloff Bosch combination, like what R&M do.

If it works for Continental, then it work even better for Bosch & Rohloff.

Trevormonty, I don't see the cost as an issue, if you want an ebike with Bosch motor and Rohloff igh the cost is always going to be high, just like the R&M at £5k which arguably is a stupid price to pay for an ebike, although many pay upwards of that for none ebike's.

What the industry needs is a company to mass produce an ebike with CD motor with embedded gearing and a decent battery.

It's not rocket science and I recon with the right volumes such an ebike could be brought to market for under £2k.

Look at what Tesla have done with the new Model 3, they have almost halved the cost of producing a decent EV compared to there previous Model S.

Of course it all down to market expectation's and I guess ebikes in reality are quite niche still, especially as they are restricted to 15.5mph, and many folk still would not consider one for commuting to work because of the this.