cold hands

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have always suffered from cold hands even when young and fit. Now I am old and decrepit it's even worse. Went a ride the other day and even with two pairs of gloves my fingers felt like sausages. never yet found any gloves that solve the problem. Any suggestions. Why can't some clever inventor type person design some heated handelbar grips that run off the battery. I know. Just wishful thinking

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've suffered greatly with this lifelong, known as Reynaud's syndrome. As with you it's got worse with age and in the last few years my hands can go dead at as high as 15 degrees C.

Ordinary gloves are a waste of time, I've tried every design and type, but as soon as cold is sensed the circulation drops from the fingers regardless.

I've also had electric gloves and currently have a pair powered by three AA batteries each which I use between jobs in the nature reserve I work in at times. But the elements are on the upper palms so are vulnerable if I do hard gripping work with them. Of course those elements really need to be on the fingers, but I've only ever known of a pair of very expensive motorcycle gloves with that feature.

Reactions: gray198

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have always suffered from cold hands even when young and fit. Now I am old and decrepit it's even worse. Went a ride the other day and even with two pairs of gloves my fingers felt like sausages. never yet found any gloves that solve the problem. Any suggestions. Why can't some clever inventor type person design some heated handelbar grips that run off the battery. I know. Just wishful thinking
Maplins tend to offer such devices, not working from the bike battery but from other cells

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maplins tend to offer such devices, not working from the bike battery but from other cells
It's the Maplin ones I have at present, the elements at the upper palms so rather vulnerable. I've previously had two other pairs from other sources, one pair which failed and the other useless since the elements were on the rear of the hand.

They're all useless when walking, since heat from the hand elements rises so the fingers can still freeze.

Reactions: gray198

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
even with two pairs of gloves my fingers felt like sausages.
Ensure the two pairs are not tight around your fingers/hand. I used to make the mistake of thinking a nice tight fitting glove liner was needed until I realized it was restricting my circulation and making my hands worse. Now I use loose'ish liners with larger than my normal size gloves. They still feel the chill but are better than they used to be.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and gray198

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This too has been an issue for me but more so in my toes. I have tried heated insoles but they don't help. I think that the problem is that the heat that needs to be generated needs a better power supply than three aa batteries.
I bought some aldi waterproof socks that I wear on top of woolly thermal socks and then the thermal cycling boots.
Feet now are much better..
My feet just went white and numb without any pain but my fingers hurt just to touch anything. Has anyone seen any windbreaker that you see on motorbike handlebars?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there for stopping branches ect slapping ur fingers but i guess will help a bit.

bit steep at 55 euro tho tbh

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't wear other gloves underneath. They need to be as loose as possible.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
hi Gray198

I've camped out and fished through the winter for years. Many of us have spent hundreds on quality gloves and boots. But when your static for hours
Nothing beats an outside heat source.

These are great. Little hotties hand warmers. Quite cheap in bulk from Amazon.

Stuck them in my 150 quid Baffin boots before as well. To be honest I would rather some of these in a pair of trainers than the warmest fishing boot. However their are specific ones shaped for feet too.

Reactions: flecc and gray198

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
How would you like a pair of induction handlebar grips. The handlebar grips remain cold to the touch, but the rider wears a pair of special gloves that heat upon contact.
sounds good Eddie. Do I need a second mortgage ??