Commuter bike Wisper 905 Torque or Oxygen MTB.....probably

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Hi All

I'm new to this and will try to post a strava result of my commute and a bit more background info later.

My commute is 14.5m each way (best time 1h22m) and bowl shaped (down hill, flatish, uphill).
When I tried it for a few months last year on my old Mongoose Tyax I could only manage to take the bike to work on my car.
Well I did ride it home and back again in the morning too but that was as much as I could manage.
I tried a couple of times to step it up to twice a week but my legs couldn't cope and the uphill bits at either end of my journey made it all a bit unpleasant.

I'm 5'9" and at least 3stone overweight at 16stone. I would like to commute 3 or 4 times a week and do some bike trails with my partner who is about to take delivery of her Wisper 705se very soon.

I think I'm edging towards the Wisper 905 Torque with the larger battery but can't afford the £1800 price. I would be wanting to put a £1000 cyclescheme voucher towards the price.

I have seen on Wisper website a Mk1 at £1399 which seems good value but not sure on all the differences between that and a mk2.

This whole e-bike thing can really send you round in circles so I have spent a while reading the forum and doing some basic test rides before coming on here.

Will the Wisper be up to dealing with some rough-ish paths (and even rougher roads!) and a bit of mud and gravel or should I reconsider the Oxygen MTB. Is it a tougher bike? Is that why it says MTB. I can't say I've ever actually done any real mountain biking but I've always had a mountain bike. Answers on a postcard or preferably on this post. Cheers guys.

P.s. This is a fantastic site with some great people on it but it's very addictive, even watching from the sidelines.

Jez

D

Deleted member 4366

Both are good bikes and would do the job. The Oxygen is cheaper and faster (derestricted). It's perfect for rough trails and things like that. Out of the two, it's no contest as far as I can see. You'd need the bigger 14Ah battery. On smooth roads, it would be much more difficult to choose between the two.

Reactions: Jerrymond

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I don't think you'd be disappointed with either bike. Why not test both and take it from there?

Gaz

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have an older Oxygen and it is fantastic. It's nearest new equivalent is the MTB, although I would say that the S Cross CB is closer to the Wisper in riding position.

I regularly take my Oxygen on bridleways and it handles them with aplomb. It's also very good on tarmac & very fast, even on setting 6 of 18. If riding on-road most of the time, I'd say consider changing the tyres to something faster like Schwalbe Land Cruisers or the very puncture resistant Schwalbe Marathon Plusses.

I average 18-19MPH on my undulating commute of between 8 & 11 miles.

I can't comment on the Wisper except to say the team were very affable when I had a chat with them at the NEC Bike Show.

It's quite an investment, so do as suggested up thread and try both bikes & others to see what you like.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have an older Oxygen and it is fantastic. It's nearest new equivalent is the MTB, although I would say that the S Cross CB is closer to the Wisper in riding position.

I regularly take my Oxygen on bridleways and it handles them with aplomb. It's also very good on tarmac & very fast, even on setting 6 of 18. If riding on-road most of the time, I'd say consider changing the tyres to something faster like Schwalbe Land Cruisers or the very puncture resistant Schwalbe Marathon Plusses.

I can't comment on the Wisper except to say the team were very affable when I had a chat with them at the NEC Bike Show.

It's quite an investment, so do as suggested up thread and try both bikes & others to see what you like.
... Its only an investment, if you use it to reduce the cost of another service e.g buses trains cars which might otherwise cost more. , Otherwise it is an expense. A pleasurable expense hopefully, perhaps but an expense nonetheless

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was hoping the wisper would be ok for some of the following reasons; it has a bigger battery, I could swap batteries with the Mrs smaller one at weekends to even us out and get a similar range, mudgaurds, lights and rack with a more upright position.

None of those are deal breakers though and I will get down to j e James and SYEB this Sunday to try some bikes.

Regards the more upright position I found that I had to get some swept bars for my Mongoose and an ncx seat post to alleviate some lower back pain I was getting. The other thing I struggled with was my big apples just not quite enough grip at times. I think I've managed to upload a strava now if anyone knows the route.temporary_file1103441776.jpg
Thanks again for the advice I think my only worry now is seeing all those shiny too expensive bikes and getting out the credit card.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was hoping the wisper would be ok for some of the following reasons; it has a bigger battery, I could swap batteries with the Mrs smaller one at weekends to even us out and get a similar range, mudgaurds, lights and rack with a more upright position.

None of those are deal breakers though and I will get down to j e James and SYEB this Sunday to try some bikes.

Regards the more upright position I found that I had to get some swept bars for my Mongoose and an ncx seat post to alleviate some lower back pain I was getting. The other thing I struggled with was my big apples just not quite enough grip at times. I think I've managed to upload a strava now if anyone knows the route.View attachment 20311
Thanks again for the advice I think my only worry now is seeing all those shiny too expensive bikes and getting out the credit card.
... I am speculating that "your big apples" is some reference to bicycle tyres, otherwise it's just too much information!!!

• :D
Reactions: Jerrymond and Gaz

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
:) you are in fine form tonight Dan!

For the grip you might try Big Bens when you change Jerrymond. I am extremely satisfied with their grip. They are showing signs of wear (well the front one) now after 1750 km so I am thinking that the compound is sticky and tender and that is the reason they are good on hard braking.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The Wisper Mk1 has exactly the same running gear as the Mk2. The first Torque sensors we used had to have a larger housing around the BB.
We have upgraded these bikes to the latest BB Torque sensor so the housing is not needed, but is still there. They look different but that's all.
The Wisper motor is set up to develop hi torque so is a good hill climber, because of this it's top speed is not as high as the Oxygen. We can set it to 17mph on request. Which is still within the legal limits. (15.5mph +10%)

All the best, David

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Both are good bikes and would do the job. The Oxygen is cheaper and faster (derestricted). It's perfect for rough trails and things like that. Out of the two, it's no contest as far as I can see. You'd need the bigger 14Ah battery. On smooth roads, it would be much more difficult to choose between the two.
Thanks for the speedy response D8veh. The oxygen website says a 13ah battery would this be enough? They seem to have a solid warranty and back up which is reassuring. I could get a mk1 wisper torque for £1399. I will definitely try both out.

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
The Wisper Mk1 has exactly the same running gear as the Mk2. The first Torque sensors we used had to have a larger housing around the BB.
We have upgraded these bikes to the latest BB Torque sensor so the housing is not needed, but is still there. They look different but that's all.
The Wisper motor is set up to develop hi torque so is a good hill climber, because of this it's top speed is not as high as the Oxygen. We can set it to 17mph on request. Which is still within the legal limits. (15.5mph +10%)

All the best, David
Thanks for the reply David could you pm me please as I have no idea how to do it.

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield

Cheers Warwick great info and sound advice, will do.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
many thanks for your kind comment, jerrymond.
We work with a number of cycleschemes but not the cyclescheme.co.uk and halfords' own scheme.