Commuter bike

benjamin Jones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2017
London
i am looking for a commuter bike to do 8 miles into Central London and am at a loss as to which one to go for.

I would like it to have a throttle (does this mean I need an older version?), be under £1000 and, in an ideal world, be available on cycle to work scheme.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you so much in advance!

Ben

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
With so many to choose from, you really need to try as many as you can, to get a better idea of what you do, and don't, like.

Gaz

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Our Sport, Classic, Poco and standard Compact all have throttles which are legal to 4mph. They can be set to a higher speed (15mph) but I'm sure you're aware that's not legal.

Roller and Compact Plus do not have throttles.

You can get a quote for the Cycle To Work Scheme by filling in the form at our website.

Hope this helps.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
i am looking for a commuter bike to do 8 miles into Central London and am at a loss as to which one to go for.

I would like it to have a throttle (does this mean I need an older version?), be under £1000 and, in an ideal world, be available on cycle to work scheme.

Ben
Good morning Ben,

I would suggest the Woosh Zephyr 2017.
It is a modern, well equipped, powerful and comfortable bike, with a range about 30 to 40 miles on a full charge.
E-bikes attract thieves in London. The Zephyr's in-frame battery makes the bike look less conspicuous.
We work with a number of C2W schemes. Which one does your company use?

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017

benjamin Jones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2017
London
I have an underground garage to park it in at work which should be very secure. I like the look of the Whoosh Karoo, can I just full throttle it up to 15mph? If I go off road, can I de restrict?

Is there anyway of testing one in London or would I have to come to Southend?

The cycle scheme is https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/
Is that ok?

Ben

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Ben
Hi Ben,

Are you looking for a step through, a cross bar bike or a small 20" wheel with folding capability?

If you could stretch to £1,099.00 we could get you onto a reliable Wisper SE series. We have dealers in London who would be able to demo the bike and let you have a test ride. They would also be able to service your bike in the ensuing years, very important for commuting.

705se
705se Black 1.jpg
806se
806se 1.jpg
905se
905se 1jpg.jpg

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have an underground garage to park it in at work which should be very secure. I like the look of the Whoosh Karoo, can I just full throttle it up to 15mph? If I go off road, can I de restrict?

Is there anyway of testing one in London or would I have to come to Southend?

The cycle scheme is https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/
Is that ok?

Ben
Hi Ben,
Hatti does not want to work with cyclescheme.co.uk
I've tried many times to ask her to sign up with them but she won't change her mind.
I am sorry.

• Dislike
Reactions: BornAgainCyclist

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
They can have, however unless you need it for medical reasons we would advise against it. Strictly speaking it does make the bike unusable legally in the UK anywhere the public have access. We do however have an ex demo 806Classic which was delivered into the UK before the law changed. We could certainly supply this one under the Green Commute Initiative.

https://wisperbikes.com/green-commute-initiative/

All the best, David

edge.bike

Trade Member
Jul 13, 2017
London
Hi Ben
We could help you at a great price. Below is our hybrid model which will easily do your commute. We are based in London so you could pop around to try one. Or we can send you a demonstrator to try for a week.
www.edge.bike

IMG_0436.JPG

(We are trade, just awaiting for the account to be upgraded)

D

Deleted member 4366

I just checked your website. There's a couple of things you need to change. It's a Bafang motor, not Bafung and you say peak power is 250w. I can't say that it isn't true because I haven't measured it, but if it is peak power of 250w, it would perform like a wet blanket. Most motors like that give peak power of about 500w from a 15A controller at 36v. Some give a lot more. The 250w written on the motor is the rated power. Basically, you need to change the word "peak" to "rated".

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That frame looks remarkably like the Oxygen....
You are correct Andy, it looks like a cheaper version of the Oxygen. A lot of importers use the same basic bike frames and battery cases, then specify the rest of the equipment on the bike depending on price points and add their logo and paintwork.

Nothing wrong with the bikes I am sure, assuming they have good support and spare parts availability.

Good luck guys at Edge, we wish you every success!

Are you anything to to with Green Edge?

All the best, David

EDIT Battery cases, not batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes
D

Deleted member 4366

That's right. It has cheaper gears, chainset and forks, no mudguards or rack, a much cheaper and less sophisticated control system (Oxygen has 18 levels) and, although the battery looks similar, who knows what cells are in it?

It looks reasonable for £1000, but don't try and compare it with the Oxygen just because it's the same shape. The oxygen is a completely different bike with a higher specification. Also, I'd be very surprised if the Edge could get anywhere near the Oxygen in a race, which is one reason why so many people buy Oxygens.