Commuter Ebike

Tobeeornot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 13, 2015
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new ebike mainly for commuting and I am prepared to spend circa £2500-2700 for a bike with mudguards, pannier rack, lights, etc. I'm torn between these options:

1. http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/kalkhoff-bikes/integrale_i8.html
  2. http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/speed-e-bikes/roadster_touring_hs_black.html
  3. http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/cube-bikes/kathmandu_hybrid_sl_500_di2.html
  4. http://www.certini.co.uk/30526/products/2017-cube-touring-hybrid-exc-500-e-bike-in-black.aspx
I really like the Kalkhoff and it is on sale until midnight by 20%. But I really want something that has the capacity speed assist to above 17.5 mph, to around 28 mph, like the Bosch Performance Speed motor system can do.

Any suggestions or alternatives bike or places to buy with good deals would be most welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't recommend any of those bikes for commuting. A bike with a hub-motor would be better. The Oxygen S-cross City has everything you want, including a speed of up to 28 mph assisted. and is much cheaper too.

Read about the reliability problems with Kalkhoff Impulse bikes and the Bosch motors. Not are there motor reliability issues, but you will have much more regular servicing of the drive train than you would with a hub-motor. A hub-motor gives you a much better ride too, especially for journeys with a lot of stops and starts.

Reactions: Tobeeornot

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
I wouldn't recommend any of those bikes for commuting. A bike with a hub-motor would be better. The Oxygen S-cross City has everything you want, including a speed of up to 28 mph assisted. and is much cheaper too.

Read about the reliability problems with Kalkhoff Impulse bikes and the Bosch motors. Not are there motor reliability issues, but you will have much more regular servicing of the drive train than you would with a hub-motor. A hub-motor gives you a much better ride too, especially for journeys with a lot of stops and starts.
Many thanks but I am not sure I really like the look of that one. More of a personal preference. I would prefer something that is fully kitted out with mudguards, pannier racks, lights, etc. Do you have any other recommendations?

D

Deleted member 4366

Many thanks but I am not sure I really like the look of that one. More of a personal preference. I would prefer something that is fully kitted out with mudguards, pannier racks, lights, etc. Do you have any other recommendations?
Are you looking at the right one? It has a pannier rack, mudguards and lights!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Saddle..... check
Handlebars..... check
Pedals........ check
Chain..... yup

:D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new ebike mainly for commuting and I am prepared to spend circa £2500-2700 for a bike with mudguards, pannier rack, lights, etc. I'm torn between these options:

2. http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/speed-e-bikes/roadster_touring_hs_black.html
  3. http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/cube-bikes/kathmandu_hybrid_sl_500_di2.html
  4. http://www.certini.co.uk/30526/products/2017-cube-touring-hybrid-exc-500-e-bike-in-black.aspx
I really like the Kalkhoff and it is on sale until midnight by 20%. But I really want something that has the capacity speed assist to above 17.5 mph, to around 28 mph, like the Bosch Performance Speed motor system can do.

Any suggestions or alternatives bike or places to buy with good deals would be most welcome.
You can fit dongle to CX drive bikes which take them 30mph in theory. NB its illegal if caught. The 11spd XT will give gear range with larger chainring ie 18T while still giving good low gear for climbing. Only down side is CX loves 11spd chains expect 1000-1500kms from chain plus new chainring and maybe cassette every 2-3chains. 10spd 11-42 cassette will give almost as much gear range while drivetrain components a bit cheaper and maybe slightly longer wearing. 9spd wont have gear range for big hills but is lot cheaper to replace.

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015

Hi d8veh,

Thanks for your comments. It is most appreciated.

Just wondering why you would favour a hub motor as opposed to a drive train? Is it purely the reliability of the motor and the relative difference in repair costs or does it run deeper than that? My understanding is that hub motors don't have the same amount of torque so the power you get is limited. I stopped myself buying the Kalkhoff on sale last night as my existing bike is a Kalkhoff and the motor packed in and I didn't want to experience the same issues again a few years later with a more expensive bike.

Are there any other commuter bikes you would recommend other than the Oxygen? If I am 100% honest, I am not sure I like the look of it.

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
You can fit dongle to CX drive bikes which take them 30mph in theory. NB its illegal if caught. The 11spd XT will give gear range with larger chainring ie 18T while still giving good low gear for climbing. Only down side is CX loves 11spd chains expect 1000-1500kms from chain plus new chainring and maybe cassette every 2-3chains. 10spd 11-42 cassette will give almost as much gear range while drivetrain components a bit cheaper and maybe slightly longer wearing. 9spd wont have gear range for big hills but is lot cheaper to replace.
Hi Trevormonty,

Thanks for your comments.

Is there any commuter bikes you would recommend?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My understanding is that hub motors don't have the same amount of torque so the power you get is limited.
I think you meant to say the torque on hub motors is more limited.
The power is what the controller pumps from your battery to the motor. The crank drive motors put the power through the gears before reaching the wheels so their range of torque can be potentially wider than geared hub motors'.
I sell both crank drives and geared hubs to commuters, so I don't recommend one type over the other but generally speaking, CD bikes are easier to repair punctures and geared hubs are cheaper to buy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi d8veh,

Thanks for your comments. It is most appreciated.

Just wondering why you would favour a hub motor as opposed to a drive train? Is it purely the reliability of the motor and the relative difference in repair costs or does it run deeper than that? My understanding is that hub motors don't have the same amount of torque so the power you get is limited. I stopped myself buying the Kalkhoff on sale last night as my existing bike is a Kalkhoff and the motor packed in and I didn't want to experience the same issues again a few years later with a more expensive bike.

Are there any other commuter bikes you would recommend other than the Oxygen? If I am 100% honest, I am not sure I like the look of it.
I recommend the Oxygen because you want to go fast and it has everything you need as a fast commuter.

The oxygen is very reliable. If you were unlucky enough to still get a problem, everything is cheap to repair and spare parts are readily available from a number of sources.

The torque/power is more than enough for average people with average hills. For anyone over 90kg with particularly steep hills, there might be better options.

I recommend hub-motors for commuting because they give a better ride. You can get the power regardless of which gear you're in, so if you have to stop suddenly and get caught in the wrong gear, you can just pedal to get the power from the motor and sort out the gears when you get going. You can't do that on a CD bike. They're a right pain to get going again if you have to stop in a high gear. That's with derailleur gears. Also, the constant banging every time you change gears becomes tedious on a CD bike , and it makes you wonder when something is going to break, which is what I mean by not as relaxing. You have one already, so I guess you know what I mean.

For commuting, the only sensible tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They last for an easy 10,000 miles, so taking wheels off with a hub-motor is not an issue. In 5000 miles and 3 1/2 years, my wheel has been off twice. Both times was to try a new motor, not because it needed to come off.

For alternatives to the Oxygen, there's Wispers, Freegos, Woosh, and Kudos that could all be derestricted last time I checked, but none are as fast as the Oxygen. Most can cruise at about 20 mph, but the Oxygen will do a relatively easy 23 mph, and the assistance carries on all the way to about 28 mph.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but none are as fast as the Oxygen.
how can you be so sure?
In my experience, a crank drive gives a higher no load speed than comparably equipped geared hub.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hi Gaz,

I take it you have one?

If so, how do you rate it?

Can you recommend any other ebikes?

Toby
Hello Toby

No, I’m afraid I don’t. I was being flippant as Dave had shown you one of the better models that ticked your boxes.

Hub drive is generally considered better than crank drive for commuting as there’s not so much pressure and wear on the chain and sprockets. Having said that, I use my Whyte for commuting quite happily although having also used my Wife’s 705 I can see why a hub drive is the better commuter.

As for other options, there’s a huge range, so try as many as you can. Don’t discount a Wisper 905 Torque - surprisingly good value and well built. Good support from Amps too.

Gaz

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Hi,

We stock Kalkhoff and a great range of other commuter bikes. Unfortunately we don't stock any of the speed variants due to the laws within the UK. Are you local to any of our stores at all? We would be happy for you to try a few different models so you can get a feel for the different motor options.

Many thanks,
Luke

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
I recommend the Oxygen because you want to go fast and it has everything you need as a fast commuter.

The oxygen is very reliable. If you were unlucky enough to still get a problem, everything is cheap to repair and spare parts are readily available from a number of sources.

The torque/power is more than enough for average people with average hills. For anyone over 90kg with particularly steep hills, there might be better options.

I recommend hub-motors for commuting because they give a better ride. You can get the power regardless of which gear you're in, so if you have to stop suddenly and get caught in the wrong gear, you can just pedal to get the power from the motor and sort out the gears when you get going. You can't do that on a CD bike. They're a right pain to get going again if you have to stop in a high gear. That's with derailleur gears. Also, the constant banging every time you change gears becomes tedious on a CD bike , and it makes you wonder when something is going to break, which is what I mean by not as relaxing. You have one already, so I guess you know what I mean.

For commuting, the only sensible tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They last for an easy 10,000 miles, so taking wheels off with a hub-motor is not an issue. In 5000 miles and 3 1/2 years, my wheel has been off twice. Both times was to try a new motor, not because it needed to come off.

For alternatives to the Oxygen, there's Wispers, Freegos, Woosh, and Kudos that could all be derestricted last time I checked, but none are as fast as the Oxygen. Most can cruise at about 20 mph, but the Oxygen will do a relatively easy 23 mph, and the assistance carries on all the way to about 28 mph.
Hi d8veh,

I have been doing some research into CD vs Hub drives and I have come to the conclusion you are right concerning the reliability issues of CD bikes, especially in terms maintenance and heavy expense of keeping them on the road if something goes wrong. I therefore have been looking at hub drive bikse in relation to the Oxygen you suggested, and would be grateful for your thoughts how these two commuters stack up in terms of quality of components, speed derestriction, and brand reliability:

Volt Pulse X
http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/pulse-x-hybrid-electric-bike.php

Wisper 905 Torque Crossbar
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p117284/wisper-905-torque-crossbar-375wh-2018-electric-hybrid-bike

Any feedback would be most welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

They're all good bikes. The Volt might not be de-restrictable, so if that's important for you, check with them first. The Wisper is smoother and quieter than the Oxygen, but, IIRC, it's nowhere near as fast, even when derestricted.

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
They're all good bikes. The Volt might not be de-restrictable, so if that's important for you, check with them first. The Wisper is smoother and quieter than the Oxygen, but, IIRC, it's nowhere near as fast, even when derestricted.
Thanks D8veh - I spoke to Oxygen today and they said de-restricting their bike invalidates the warranty (which is fair enough) but it can be done and pointed me towards the forums. Is there a link to a thread on this forum that tells you how to do it?

D

Deleted member 4366

If you buy one, I'll tell you how to deresrict it. It takes about 10 secs with no tools.