Commuting to work on ebike in London

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

Has anyone commuted half-way and left their bike locked up for hours on the streets of London? How safe has it been and what security measures & locks would you recommend?

Cheers,

Urbanpuma

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a high risk option, you will get away with it for a while. A routine will get notice, time /day and how long left for then some scumbag will have it away in a few seconds.

A small battery angle grinder or some croppers will not take long to disable any locks.

D

Deleted member 4366

It would almost certainly end in tears. You need somewhere secure to keep your bike. The patrolling thieves will give it a miss the first few days when they see difficult locks, but when they see it there every day, they'll soon figure out what they need to do to get it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will go. They only need to defeat the lock attaching it to street furniture before popping into the back of their van, which is how many bikes in London get lifted. Any other locks they remove at leisure back at base, it's a well set up industry here.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Have been using it daily for 4 years in London and never had issue with any decent lock.

If it's unique they won't steal it because they don't know how to sell it either!

For safety, you need to ride in a way you consider any driver want to kill you. Always have decent margin of safety to escape if they do a sudden U-turn.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If it's unique they won't steal it because they don't know how to sell it either!
you certainly cannot buy one like his in the shops.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Have been using it daily for 4 years in London and never had issue with any decent lock.

For safety, you need to ride in a way you consider any driver want to kill you. Always have decent margin of safety to escape if they do a sudden U-turn.
Cwah, what bike have you got?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cwah's bikes are usually diy builds there uniqueness is the unfetching diy look that makes then look errrr unique.
So much so that they don't look like a bike that anyone would be interested in taking. That said as long as the bike does what you want it to do, it doesn't have to be a nice off the peg looking bike.
The crappiest unloved look it the way to go for a leave it & lock it bike though you do need to make sure wheels and brakes are secured.

If you want a nice sparkly good bike get one as a run about /leisure bike or make sure that it is let locked in a secure compound.

• :D
Reactions: cwah

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
cwah - I guess you call that looks only a parent could love :)

what about vandalism? Lots of temping bits of wire on an ebike

I am lucky that our local city centre train station has secure staff patrolled bike parking - but our little commuter station down the road doesnt. So I only ever ride in to the City on my ebike as I figure, sooner or later, some plonker will mess with the bike

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
O
Cwah's bikes are usually diy builds there uniqueness is the unfetching diy look that makes then look errrr unique.
So much so that they don't look like a bike that anyone would be interested in taking. That said as long as the bike does what you want it to do, it doesn't have to be a nice off the peg looking bike.
The crappiest unloved look it the way to go for a leave it & lock it bike though you do need to make sure wheels and brakes are secured.

If you want a nice sparkly good bike get one as a run about /leisure bike or make sure that it is let locked in a secure compound.
Ah I see lol. It seems too risky to leave them anywhere unless one has the skill to do what Cwah has done. I'm enquiring for a friend. I think she's just going to buy a cheap folder, but I'm going to try to convince her to get an ebike for leisure. Thanks for advice, lots to think about :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ideal world tv for a cheap leccy folder, take it to the office type of bike. Though of no use if onward travel is by bus or tube.

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
Here's my current bike:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq7rj31rcjonjfu/MVIMG_20180226_093910.jpg?dl=0

You can note that even the wheels are off odd size (20") which makes them harder to sell.

The only thing thieves are interested in are the bag surrounding the frame. However when they open it they see load of black and red wires and get discouraged..
Wow, tank bike, awesome. Only missing the machine guns and turret although are surely stealth installed.

Glad I’m not the only one using bin bags as battery weather protection.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Wow, tank bike, awesome. Only missing the machine guns and turret although are surely stealth installed.

Glad I’m not the only one using bin bags as battery weather protection.
Ahah yeah its the tank v1. Wait for the V2 coming up, it should be ready soon. This one will be bigger and heavier!

And as bonus, designed to carry sexy chicks ;)

And I take extra care to protect the batteries from rain and damage. It's a double layers of heavy duty canvas protecting the battery. I recognise it has been doing quite well so far

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was very disappointed the first time someone said "Oh what a nice looking bike". I had failed my mission... :( But in the city it is in closed parking at the station. The entrance is opposite a police station front door and there is a camera.

Now what will I do with the trike? o_O Current idea is to cover it with a rain cover when parked to discourage children from trying the seat. It will fit through the door of the secure parking but there isn't enough space for a trike, maybe parked vertically?

KwikFold

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2018
Midlands
www.kwikfold.co.uk
Hi all,

Has anyone commuted half-way and left their bike locked up for hours on the streets of London? How safe has it been and what security measures & locks would you recommend?

Cheers,

Urbanpuma
What bike do you have?

I used to leave my bike chained up however I didn't really care much for it, and seemed thieves didn't either as it never got stolen.

However, now I WOULD NOT leave my KwikFold biked locked up, luckily I can take folders into the office with me.

Kind Regards

Josh