Compatible PAS for Brainpower controller?

Sparkomatic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2023
Hi all,

Having a nightmare getting PAS to work properly with a Brainpower controller. I've tried a 12 magnet type which works however drive is activated whether pedalling forwards or backwards, regardless of which way the disc or pickup is orientated. I've since tried an 8 magnet with the same results plus the sensitivity is very low i.e. pedals have to be turning very fast for any drive to happen. I set the magnet number parameter (P13) correctly for each type.

Do Brainpower controllers require a specific type of pas?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all,

Having a nightmare getting PAS to work properly with a Brainpower controller. I've tried a 12 magnet type which works however drive is activated whether pedalling forwards or backwards, regardless of which way the disc or pickup is orientated. I've since tried an 8 magnet with the same results plus the sensitivity is very low i.e. pedals have to be turning very fast for any drive to happen. I set the magnet number parameter (P13) correctly for each type.

They normally work OK. I'm wondering if you have it connected to the throttle connector!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's definitely connected correctly, I've read the manual
If you connected the pedal sensor to the throttle, you'd get the behaviour that you describe. It might be a good idea to check the manual again or look for your own pedal sensor connector.

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
If you connected the pedal sensor to the throttle, you'd get the behaviour that you describe. It might be a good idea to check the manual again or look for your own pedal sensor connector.
Unless the controller is wired incorrectly internally, I've 100% connected the PAS to the correct connector. See pic below.

This being said, the manual shows the PAS connector (the female connector, left in pic) being wired as; red= +5v, black= ground (0v), and blue= signal. I've tested at the connector and found red to black tests as 4.2v, black to blue however tests at 5v? Weird.

IMG_20231215_201934420 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
Ok so I swapped the red & blue cable over today, ONE of my pas sensors now works and in the correct direction only, but pedals still have to be turning very fast before any drive is provided.

I've messed with parameters and not managed to make any difference. I think this controller is just duff unless anyone has any ideas? Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Try this: Disconnect the pedal sensor. On the controller side connector, get something that you can use to bridge between the 5v wire and the signal wire. Switch on and hold that bridge for about a second. If the motor goes all the while the bridge is connected, it's most likely a throttle connector. If it doesn't go, tap the bridge - tap, tap, tap, tap... to mimic the pulsing pedal sensor. That should make the motor go. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the controller or its settings.

Reactions: Sparkomatic

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
Try this: Disconnect the pedal sensor. On the controller side connector, get something that you can use to bridge between the 5v wire and the signal wire. Switch on and hold that bridge for about a second. If the motor goes all the while the bridge is connected, it's most likely a throttle connector. If it doesn't go, tap the bridge - tap, tap, tap, tap... to mimic the pulsing pedal sensor. That should make the motor go. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the controller or its settings.
Many thanks! I've tried this and got no drive at all doing either test

budwilson

Dec 7, 2023
Well if the magnet number parameter matches the number of magnets on your PAS, and You've done the wiring correctly, Most likely you've got a faulty piece. Did you figure out the issue yet?

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
Well if the magnet number parameter matches the number of magnets on your PAS, and You've done the wiring correctly, Most likely you've got a faulty piece. Did you figure out the issue yet?
Yes I ended up buying a new controller & display. All working now including all the pas sensors I'd bought so the other controller must be faulty

Sep 30, 2023
Hi all,

i have recently upgraded my carrera crossfire E 2021 model to a brainpower controller, yose 36v 14ah battery & thumb throttle & pas a lot of the wires are in the wrong order so you have to adjust as necessary to brainpower controller wiring .

Advertisers