Complete Wheel set for 29er

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Yes, I can go tubeless and there are bits of wire as well.

The wheels are a double layer construction, the spokes do not enter the tyre chamber, I suppose to make TL easy.

Ok will sort disks out as that is the best way for simplicity.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tl ready wheels dont have the holes in the rim :) not sure what the wire is for??

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yes, I can go tubeless and there are bits of wire as well.

The wheels are a double layer construction, the spokes do not enter the tyre chamber, I suppose to make TL easy.

Ok will sort disks out as that is the best way for simplicity.
Fitting a tyre with tubes to a tubeless rim is harder because the well is shallow, and the bead seals against a ledge on the inside of the rim.

With that in mind, I would seriously consider going tubeless.

Fixing a flat on an inner tubed tubeless ready rim at the roadside can be difficult.

The bead can take some releasing, and the shallow nature of the well means there's not a lot of room for the tube.

Also, you need a bit of pressure to push the bead fully back onto the rim, which is not easy to achieve with a hand pump.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
There are wire bits. Its all out in the shed will look closer tomorrow.

Will hold off building until I have the right disks as well.

I will carry on with my 40 psi tyres for the moment!

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Fitting a tyre with tubes to a tubeless rim is harder because the well is shallow, and the bead seals against a ledge on the inside of the rim.

With that in mind, I would seriously consider going tubeless.

Fixing a flat on an inner tubed tubeless ready rim at the roadside can be difficult.

The bead can take some releasing, and the shallow nature of the well means there's not a lot of room for the tube.

Also, you need a bit of pressure to push the bead fully back onto the rim, which is not easy to achieve with a hand pump.
Trouble is I like to swap tyres, I have a few sets now from expensive self testing.

Magic Mary is a bitch to change so that is staying put, I do not fancy tube sealer everywhere each time I change tyres so I was going to try and stick with tubes. I will see how it goes any way, I do have tube sealant just no inclination.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i just pull the tyre from the rim and fill it up like that, just top it up every 3 months i have never had a flat from a puncture ;)

Reactions: Steve A

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Trouble is I like to swap tyres, I have a few sets now from expensive self testing.

Magic Mary is a bitch to change so that is staying put, I do not fancy tube sealer everywhere each time I change tyres so I was going to try and stick with tubes. I will see how it goes any way, I do have tube sealant just no inclination.
You might be lucky and your chosen tyres pop on no bother.

But there's no doubt tubeless ready rims and inner tubes is the worst of both worlds.

You have all the (possible) aggro of fitting tubes and the tyre, but none of the benefits of tubeless.

The wheels you have are good quality, but you might have been better off with traditional non-tubeless wheels, which would also have been cheaper.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
those rims are procore ready but id not like to fit that and fit my super g tyre on it lol fkn mission that will be.

i cant see running tubes will be any problem tbh.

Reactions: IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
They look and feel really good.

Quite classy really and are eMTB rated which I like.

So I just need to sort them out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will save about 100g each wheel if you go tubeless and the less waight the better as you will get more range with a less heavy bike :)

a carbon seat post and handle bars will save a few more grams.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you not got them things on yet ?

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
CR out of stock of disks until April so ordered them from Winstanley bikes, now waiting for delivery.

Hopefully have everything else.

Can I go tubeless on Smart Sams or Marathon plus MTBs?

Going to leave the Mary where it is as I do not fancy removing it (ever).

Was going to get a Mary or like you HD for the rear. So off road tyres on sDuro rims and put either Smart Sams or Marathon plus MTBs on the new rims for road and summer.

Like the Marathons but they are 2.1 and look a bit narrow compared to the Sams.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
as long as the tyre says tl ready then yes as for changing the mary it will go on and off a bit more easy now you have used it a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Winstanley only have one disk in stock so still looking for the second

Not a project for this weekend then.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
CR out of stock of disks until April so ordered them from Winstanley bikes, now waiting for delivery.

Hopefully have everything else.

Can I go tubeless on Smart Sams or Marathon plus MTBs?

Going to leave the Mary where it is as I do not fancy removing it (ever).

Was going to get a Mary or like you HD for the rear. So off road tyres on sDuro rims and put either Smart Sams or Marathon plus MTBs on the new rims for road and summer.

Like the Marathons but they are 2.1 and look a bit narrow compared to the Sams.
The Magic Marys are the least puncture resistant of your tyres so would benefit most from tubeless.

Putting Marathon Pluses on your new lightweight rims is a bit daft given Marathons are among the heaviest push bike tyres.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
The Mary is SG and I would say the same protection as the Smart Sams greenguard, but you need to handle a Mary to know what a lump it is.

Marathon plus MTB's are the next level similar to the Big Ben's in thickness of puncture protection.

The wheel weight is a new consideration, perhaps not too important for me.

What I really wanted was a set of easy swap wheels (tyres), but that is not so easy to achieve. I am hopeful though!

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

Related Articles

Advertisers