Computer Scammers

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

They disappeared for a while, but they're back again now, ringing me about once a week. I was a bit bored this morning, so I thought I would play with them a bit.

"Good morning, sir, I'm calling from Microsoft support. We can see see that your computer is sending out malicious code and has problems, but don't worry, we will help you to fix it."

"No, not again" - should have been a clue for him, but he didn't get it.

They changed it a bit this time. They've become greedy, they want to charge you for loading their remote control program that will hijack your computer. I guess they will then do two things. Firstly they look for bank details, then they load some code, which sometime later will encrypt and scramble all your data. They then offer to unscramble it for a fixed amount of money.

He told me that there would be no charge for sorting minor issues and a charge for sorting major issues.

I told him that my computer takes a long time to boot because it has so many issues. He didn't mind waiting. He kept asking how many computers I had, and seemed particularly interested in laptops for some reason. I told him that I had a broken leg, so I was stuck in bed and could only access the one slow computer.

Curious to see if thry had changed their methods, I played along for a bit. Like before, he took me to the Windows event viewer that shows errors in the computer. He told me that these events show the problem. From the previous calls, I know that, next, they take you to a website where you can download their hijacking software. I tried to slow it down by discussing what the logged errors meant, but he must've smelled a rat, so he put the phone down on me. Game over - until next week. It kept him from scamming other people for about 30 minutes. I need to practice my delay tactics.

Shall we have a competion to see who can keep them on the phone the longest?

Reactions: SteveRuss

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
They disappeared for a while, but they're back again now, ringing me about once a week. I was a bit bored this morning, so I thought I would play with them a bit.

"Good morning, sir, I'm calling from Microsoft support. We can see see that your computer is sending out malicious code and has problems, but don't worry, we will help you to fix it."

"No, not again" - should have been a clue for him, but he didn't get it.

They changed it a bit this time. They've become greedy, they want to charge you for loading their remote control program that will hijack your computer. I guess they will then do two things. Firstly they look for bank details, then they load some code, which sometime later will encrypt and scramble all your data. They then offer to unscramble it for a fixed amount of money.

He told me that there would be no charge for sorting minor issues and a charge for sorting major issues.

I told him that my computer takes a long time to boot because it has so many issues. He didn't mind waiting. He kept asking how many computers I had, and seemed particularly interested in laptops for some reason. I told him that I had a broken leg, so I was stuck in bed and could only access the one slow computer.

Curious to see if thry had changed their methods, I played along for a bit. Like before, he took me to the Windows event viewer that shows errors in the computer. He told me that these events show the problem. From the previous calls, I know that, next, they take you to a website where you can download their hijacking software. I tried to slow it down by discussing what the logged errors meant, but he must've smelled a rat, so he put the phone down on me. Game over - until next week. It kept him from scamming other people for about 30 minutes. I need to practice my delay tactics.

Shall we have a competion to see who can keep them on the phone the longest?
I came home from café where I used internet yeste4rday and couldn't access an email address I use to purchase stuff - my usual password didn't work - so, being a neurotic sort, I frantically changed my password. then, around half an hour later received an email from Hotmail about "unusual activity on my email account" - I accessed a log of previous activity and it appeared that someone from Ukraine had accessed my account at the time I was in the café. more disturbing I saw from the log that a similar attempt had been made, but unsuccessfully, from Indonesia a week before. This never happened before, but is definitely worrying, I don't know that PayPal would give one the same kind of protection a credit card company does for fraudulent transactions

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I always use Microsoft remote desktop to hop to my home PC whenever I have to use my laptop on a public wifi. There are so many scammers about - their usual trick is to offer you a free wifi hot spot. At airports for example, it becomes difficult to work out which ones are genuinely free and which ones are scams.

Reactions: selrahc1992

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't tend to get repeat calls from the pretend Microsoft scammers. When they ring and tell me I have a computer problem, I just say in a surprised voice, "I don't have a computer".

There follows a nonplussed silence, followed by the disconnect click.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I get regular calls from someone abroad who has a strong Eastern accent.
They tell me that they have been looking at my broadband and it is running slow.
I always just put the phone down.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I came home from café where I used internet yeste4rday and couldn't access an email address I use to purchase stuff - my usual password didn't work - so, being a neurotic sort, I frantically changed my password. then, around half an hour later received an email from Hotmail about "unusual activity on my email account" - I accessed a log of previous activity and it appeared that someone from Ukraine had accessed my account at the time I was in the café. more disturbing I saw from the log that a similar attempt had been made, but unsuccessfully, from Indonesia a week before. This never happened before, but is definitely worrying, I don't know that PayPal would give one the same kind of protection a credit card company does for fraudulent transactions
My mother had what you had yesterday.

Anyone this happens to, needs to make sure they've not got the same passwords for their PayPal, Apple ID, Amazon accounts etc + their social media, because the main purpose of all this isn't to access your email, it's because most people have the same email/password combinations for the accounts they've got payment details on. The hacker (a bot perhaps) then buys loads of crappy chinese ringtones or apps from a company which feeds their boss the funds, until your credit card is maxed out.

Reactions: selrahc1992

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I always use Microsoft remote desktop to hop to my home PC whenever I have to use my laptop on a public wifi. There are so many scammers about - their usual trick is to offer you a free wifi hot spot. At airports for example, it becomes difficult to work out which ones are genuinely free and which ones are scams.
Just use your phone as a wifi hot spot and use your mobile data.
A lot safer.
I also use different passwords on different payment log ins, and they also differ from my email etc. and none of them are saved on the pc.

We get the same phone scammers in Oz, I just very impolitely decline their services.
I did try to play then along once but I got bored after a few minutes :)

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I usually string them along looking for the start button, then ask "where's the start button on a mac?" That's when they hang up.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A useful way to see if anyone has successfully gained access to your e-mail account, is to use the 'check recent activity' feature of your e-mail provider.

Unless you've been abroad and accessed your account there, all login attempts should flag up as United Kingdom. You should recognize the attached IP address too.

I looked at my log from the past month, and saw someone/bot has entered an incorrect password from Turkey, Argentina, Philipines and Egypt.

So it goes to show that these tossers are always having a pop at our accounts :mad:

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I keep getting an annoying phish from what seems to be a perfect Paypal site saying that I have bought some junk for about £100
However, the delivery address is not mine.
This mail has a button to push if you dispute the amount etc.
Best way to check is to go to your Paypal account where for me, there is no sign of the transaction

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
If you use Gmail try the two-step authentication - there is a snazzy app (Authenticator) for your phone which generates a code even if you are not connected. Makes Gmail pretty much unhackable it seems to me.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
I had one a while ago ,it went like this, Nice young lady- Hello,this is Microsoft support ,blah blah, code fault etc.
Me, hello.
MSS, are you near your computer ?
Me, yes.
MSS, could you press -blah blah keys
Me, yes.
MSS, what is on your screen?
Me, nothing.
MSS, (after pause)- press any key.
Me( after pause), I haven't got an any key.
MSS, no just any key
Me, you've lost me
This went on for a while pressing this and that
Me, will the fools and horses key do ?
MSS er, the what?
Me, the fools and horses key, you know the one with Del on it.
MSS yes ok ,how does your screen look?
Me, fine
MSS which version of windows do you have installed ?
Me, double glazed
MSS, No NO the number of your windows, like seven or eight
Me, hang on I'll check
MSS, hello hello
Me, it's fourteen
MSS, that's wrong ,check again
Me, I know how many bloody windows I have in my house.
MSS, No no just tell me what's on your screen
Me, nothing
MSS, Nothing??
Me, yes it's not switched on,you never mentioned switching on
Click.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Just a question. Are these calls to a landline? I never get anything like that on my mobile and haven't had a landline for well over ten years.

D

Deleted member 4366

There wouldn't be any point in ringing a mobile because you wouldn't have your computer with you, would you?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I don't get to many of these calls but when I do I just ask them to hold whilst I get the computer owner, in reality I make myself a cupa and then go back to the phone for a chat. Strangely there's no one on the line ?

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Did the same. pretended to be gullible old man...played them for half an hour then said my son told me to put the phone down. They were so sure I was on the hook ..lol...how bored must I have been that day ...should really have been cycling instead.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
There wouldn't be any point in ringing a mobile because you wouldn't have your computer with you, would you?
Quite often I do. Laptop when away working and a multitude of options when home.

I'm glad they don't bother the mobile phone users though!!

Advertisers