Concerning gloves...

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I can understand why mountain bikers wear gloves, and I can understand the utility of wearing gloves in winter, but being a brand-new pedelecer (?), I'm not clear if most riders wear gloves on their bikes, and if so, why? I will wear them until my brain remembers how to balance on a bike for longer than 100 feet in case I take a header. What about others?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0109_01.JPG
hand brake :(

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Gloves on the trike because of insects and stones, looking for summer ones at the moment. I wear a helmet in summer even on the upright because it is more comfortable than a cap for sun protection and it keeps bees and wasps out of your eyes when you are doing over 40 km/h... :eek:

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Gloves on the trike because of insects and stones, looking for summer ones at the moment. I wear a helmet in summer even on the upright because it is more comfortable than a cap for sun protection and it keeps bees and wasps out of your eyes when you are doing over 40 km/h... :eek:
I'd be worried about bugs on my teeth at 40 km/h.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I try to keep my mouth shut and breath through the nose... :rolleyes: Seriously last year an unidentified flying beast struck me right in the tonsils, I almost suffocated trying to spit it out. I eventually swallowed it. :eek:

Reactions: Steve Bowles

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Gloves for grip in summer (sweaty palms!)
Gloves for warmth in winter
Gloves for indicating in winter (reflective strips)
But
Gloves for protection all year round !

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Fingerless gel padded gloves in summer (carpel tunnel).
Padded reflective full-fingered gloves in winter/cold periods.
Always wear a helmet, plus snood in winter to reduce cold and wind through vents.
Shades in summer, clear wrap-arounds in winter

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0283.JPG
DSC_0635_01.JPG

D

Deleted member 22539

I never wear a helmet but always wear gloves, even in summer.

Generally your hands are first to hit the ground to protect yourself if you have a spill.
No lid you must be mental

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I can understand why mountain bikers wear gloves, and I can understand the utility of wearing gloves in winter, but being a brand-new pedelecer (?), I'm not clear if most riders wear gloves on their bikes, and if so, why? I will wear them until my brain remembers how to balance on a bike for longer than 100 feet in case I take a header. What about others?
@ around 45 seconds into the video I take my gloves off to assess the damage sustained. I assume that they protected me, at least somewhat? :oops:

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
After a recent knee op and speaking to the anesthetist about my ebike plan after recovery - he commented how he’s seen some nasty elbow injuries from people coming off bikes :eek:
I am seriously considering some knee and elbow protection going forward :cool:
Are you riding a speed e-bike? Do you think knee and elbow padding is appropriate for a 25 km/h e-bike? At 68 I think I would shatter if I hit the ground no matter what speed I was travelling.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Are you riding a speed e-bike? Do you think knee and elbow padding is appropriate for a 25 km/h e-bike? At 68 I think I would shatter if I hit the ground no matter what speed I was travelling.
No,no, ...you won't shatter, you might bounce and skip and skid about a bit just like Barnes Wallis's bouncing bombs!

P.s.just noticed your name, maybe you would just bowl along till you clatter into a set of skittles

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
And your point is? o_O

Your post is neither relevant or doesn’t add any substance to the thread what so ever...

Last edited:

Advertisers