Confused,bike has no magnet PAS,but a crank /torque sensor ?

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to connect up everything and switch on, then turn the bike upside down. Stuff your voltmeter up the back of the PAS connector in the black and blue wires. Watch what happens to the voltage when you turn the pedals. From memory, it is 0v when not pedalling and 5v when the pedals turn, which is no good as a throttle. You need to test it to confirm that as it was a long time ago that I played with one.

Are you sure that your controller doesn't have a throttle connector. That would be very unusual for an older controller. It's very common now, but years ago, it was normally the other way round. That makes me think that there's still the possibility that the connector and controller can take a variable signal on that connector even if your PAS doesn't give one. You can test that with a 10k or 5k linear potentiometer or preset. Connect the outer two pins to the red and the black and the middle to the blue. See if it works like a throttle. Note that the controller won't give power after switching on until it sees a zero throttle signal first, so you have to turn the thing fully one way or the other, then it should give proportional power.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Resistor-Adjustable-Resistance-Linear-Taper-Potentiometer-B1K-to-B1M/122248907777?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=48421&meid=da79fdcda0164d9ea3839211c3647be3&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=152058500939&itm=122248907777&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

If that works, let us know and I'll show you how to use that pot to add a variable cruise control to your bike

Last edited by a moderator:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
You need to connect up everything and switch on, then turn the bike upside down. Stuff your voltmeter up the back of the PAS connector in the black and blue wires. Watch what happens to the voltage when you turn the pedals. From memory, it is 0v when not pedalling and 5v when the pedals turn, which is no good as a throttle.
hi d8veh sounds interesting.With the meters black / red probes on black and blue wires respectively the reading was 0.5v at rest. With motor running, turning pedals slow, around 2.5-8v . Climbing to 3.7v motor full speed. Probes on black and red wires read 12v.No change with motor running.Def no throttle connection on the controller.Thanks

Reactions: Jeffwrx
D

Deleted member 4366

That's a 12v sensor then. You can't connect a throttle. It's interesting that the controller gives no response at 0.5v and max speed at 3.7v, because that's more or less the same as a normal throttle signal. If you have hall sensors in your motor (3 thick and 5 thin wires), then a throttle might still work. You need a 5v supply, which you can take from the hall sensor wire.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
That's a 12v sensor then. You can't connect a throttle. It's interesting that the controller gives no response at 0.5v and max speed at 3.7v, because that's more or less the same as a normal throttle signal. If you have hall sensors in your motor (3 thick and 5 thin wires), then a throttle might still work. You need a 5v supply, which you can take from the hall sensor wire.
It indeed has those d8veh .The 5 thin hall wires, meter connected to the black,the red reads 5v ,the green ,yellow ,blue 4.6v

D

Deleted member 4366

OK. you can test it then with the pot I linked above. One outside pin goes to the thin red in the hall sensor connector (you have to poke it in the back of the connector), the other outside pin goes to any black ground, and the middle pin goes to the blue signal wire in the PAS connector (PAS disconnected). If it works (should do), you can fit any throttle to the same three wires.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
OK. you can test it then with the pot I linked above. One outside pin goes to the thin red in the hall sensor connector (you have to poke it in the back of the connector), the other outside pin goes to any black ground, and the middle pin goes to the blue signal wire in the PAS connector (PAS disconnected). If it works (should do), you can fit any throttle to the same three wires.
Nice one d8veh .Too impatient to wait for a pot. I ran a wire from the 5v hall sensor as u suggested and capped off the 12v . It worked ,one smoothly functioning throttle (the one that was giving me gip on the bbs) . 0.8v at rest ,up to 4.2v on full.
Am i right in thinking it will give the same power of assist on full, as the PAS setup provided and peddeling will still save battery ? If so thats a simple costless way of having full assist control,without getting a new controller.
I assume the variable cruise control with a pot. u mentioned was instead of throttle?
Is it poss with this controller to pimp its amps up a couple, for a bit more hill climbing power. I know u said the motors up to it.Much thanks d8veh

D

Deleted member 4366

Am i right in thinking it will give the same power of assist on full, as the PAS setup provided and peddeling will still save battery ? If so thats a simple costless way of having full assist control,without getting a new controller.
I assume the variable cruise control with a pot. u mentioned was instead of throttle?
Is it poss with this controller to pimp its amps up a couple, for a bit more hill climbing power. I know u said the motors up to it.Much thanks d8veh
That's right.

The cruise control involves adding a potentiometer or second throttle without a spring and a two or three position switch. The switch can switch between the two speed control devices, which saves your thumb and is easier to tide with a fixed half power or anything else.

cruisethrottle_zpsc5c476df.PNG

You can also butt something up against the throttle to give it some friction so that it stays in place.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
That's right.

The cruise control involves adding a potentiometer or second throttle without a spring and a two or three position switch. The switch can switch between the two speed control devices, which saves your thumb and is easier to tide with a fixed half power or anything else.

You can also butt something up against the throttle to give it some friction so that it stays in place.
Thanks d8veh for all the help.That looks easy enough.But first ill see how i get on with the current set up.