Connecting a thumb throttle

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Got one of those cheapo ebikes and wanted to add a thumb throttle after reading that my controller should support one, although not read anywhere that anyone has done this to my particular bike. Just want to check this is the right connection and what the best way to connect is (don't like just snipping and soldering!)

This is my controller:

And this is the throttle, red black and green

These are the two potential candidates. Without taking the controller apart, am I correct in thinking the throttle connecter is the 3 wired one in the middle, red black and yellow?

The one on the right is just a red/black connection, can this be used for the LED lights on the throttle or is this for something else? Also, the white wire which looks like it connects to itsself, is this the speed sensor?

As you can see, the connector for the throttle is different to the one on the controller, what is the best way of connecting the two, can I get an adapter from maplins or ebay? From looking at the wires they're in the correct order for a straight conversion.

Also, what is this out of interest? Not connected to anything, but covered by a plastic guard.

If this works OK, I'll have a dabble at soldering part of the shunt, if my controller is at 12a, and I imagine fuses are 20a so I should have a fair bit of give. Will have to test out Ohms law next weekend!

Cheers

James

D

Deleted member 4366

That funny connector with a tail is a programming lead.

The connector with red black and yellow could be the throttle one, but I'd need to see all the other connectors to confirm.
The red and black connector will be battery voltage. You can use the red for the LEDs, but don't get it mixed up. The other reds are for 5v devices.

If your connectors are different, you can get new ones from Ebay or your electronics shop. Any 3-pin connector will do, or you can cut them off and soldet directly. It's just as quick to cut the wires as unplug a connector.

The white wire is probably a speed limit, but they could be for anything. It's basically a decision point for the controller. If connected, do one thing. If not, do something else.

There's probably a thin red wire somewhere or a red and orange pair that need to connected to the battery positive or each other for the controller to give power unless it has a separate control panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jaydeeuk1

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Cheers, can take photos of the other connectors too, from memory there was another 3 pin one already connected, but the one I mentioned and the 2 pin connector were the only ones without anything conneced. With the white one, suppose I can try the highly technical disconnect it and see what happens logic.

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Fitted the throttle to the 3 wires I identified above and it works spot on. Can do gradual acceleration and the 3 power levels also seem to limit its speed still, only had a quick 2 minute run as its getting dark, will do a proper run tomorrow.

This is the throttle I bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201061300927

Any 3 wire throttle should probably work, I just went for a thumb one, and the length of wire it has is perfect, not too loose and not too tight so fits in nicely in to the box.

Hardest part was getting the handle grip off, didn't know about the fairy liquid trick until youtube!

This throttle upgrade will definitely work on the following bikes using instructions above

Viking electric bike (Amazon etc)
Eco electric bike (Sports direct)
Tesco eco bike with the 6 gears, may work with the single gear one

Will try soldering the shunt this weekend, didn't get chance today. If I can get a few more watts of power up the main road in Belper I'll be quite happy!

Last edited: