Considering an E-bike - Overloaded with Infomation!

uptonogood

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2017
Southampton
Hey,

Considering an purchasing an E-Bike. I ride motorcycle's all year round. My main bike is way too nice to ride during winter months when the road's are salted etc so I usually purchase a basket-case that I spank throughout the winter months before selling in spring. I am considering purchasing an e-bike for leisure use in summer and commuting in winter (5 Mile round trip). I have tried a bit of internet research but have found the information a little overwhelming so thought someone here might be able to help.

Id be purchasing through cyclescheme so £1k would be my budget. Reliability would be very important to me, im not so concerned about suspension as journey is short and roads relatively good. "twist and go" capability (ie not pedalling) would be a nice bonus, but Ive read that these bikes have shorter motor lifes?

Needs to be able to tackle hills without much difficulty - there is a fairly steep and prolonged hill on my route to work and hence why I want an E-bike rather than a traditional treader!

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Upton :)

Any e-bike will help you up the hill, but if you want it to do it without input from you, you'll be wanting a higher AH battery and stronger motor. It'll also be very dependent on your size and weight.

Have a look at the Woosh range, or if you can stretch to a bit more, a Wisper 905. There's also plenty to chose from on the Bay of e's.

Perhaps go have a chat with your local indy bike shop and try some out wouldn't be a bad thing as it's hard to recommend, what's good for the goose, and all that jazz...

Gaz

Reactions: mountainsport

uptonogood

May 6, 2017
Southampton
I'll keep an eye out for those. As I wanna use cycle scheme I'm kinda limited in where I can get one, I guess?

I've seen this https://www.cyclerepublic.com/carrera-vulcan-650b-electric-mountain-bike-2017.html

It doesn't have a mud gaurd or a rack but I could fit one easily, and 11.5ah 37v battery. I don't mind pedaling a bit up the hill but I don't wanna be shagged by the time I get to the top!

I can't find any reviews for it though? Only for its non electric version.

D

Deleted member 4366

"twist and go" capability (ie not pedalling) would be a nice bonus, but Ive read that these bikes have shorter motor lifes?
Whoever wrote what you wrote hasn't a clue about electric bikes. The motor gets the same power whether it comes from the pedals or the throttle.

As a motorcyclist, you might think a throttle is a good idea, but the pedal systems are so good that you'd hardly use one, though they are good if you're hampered in any way (carrying stuff, injured, broken chain or pedal, etc). they're also good to help you get started on hills, and they can give you vital respite when you have a sore backside.

How well e-bikes handle hills depend a lot on your weight. If you tell us your weight, we can guide your choice.

Reactions: LeighPing

uptonogood

May 6, 2017
Southampton
Whoever wrote what you wrote hasn't a clue about electric bikes. The motor gets the same power whether it comes from the pedals or the throttle.

As a motorcyclist, you might think a throttle is a good idea, but the pedal systems are so good that you'd hardly use one, though they are good if you're hampered in any way (carrying stuff, injured, broken chain or pedal, etc). they're also good to help you get started on hills, and they can give you vital respite when you have a sore backside.

How well e-bikes handle hills depend a lot on your weight. If you tell us your weight, we can guide your choice.
It did seem a little iffy to me, too!

Er, currently 99kg, planning to be 92kg by time I get bike

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
As a biker who has just ordered an electric bike: A cheap motor bike/scooter will probably be more cost effective than an electric bike but an electric bike will keep you fitter and is more fun along the country lanes.
So, leisure use in Summer, yes, but as a Winter hack, I'm not so sure?

D

Deleted member 4366

If you can get down to 90kg, most e-bikes would have sufficient power.

• :D

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I'll keep an eye out for those. As I wanna use cycle scheme I'm kinda limited in where I can get one, I guess?

I've seen this https://www.cyclerepublic.com/carrera-vulcan-650b-electric-mountain-bike-2017.html

It doesn't have a mud gaurd or a rack but I could fit one easily, and 11.5ah 37v battery. I don't mind pedaling a bit up the hill but I don't wanna be shagged by the time I get to the top!

I can't find any reviews for it though? Only for its non electric version.
Take into strong consideration that pedals are included.

MS.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello Upton :)

Any e-bike will help you up the hill, but if you want it to do it without input from you, you'll be wanting a higher AH battery and stronger motor. It'll also be very dependent on your size and weight.

Have a look at the Woosh range, or if you can stretch to a bit more, a Wisper 905. There's also plenty to chose from on the Bay of e's.

Perhaps go have a chat with your local indy bike shop and try some out wouldn't be a bad thing as it's hard to recommend, what's good for the goose, and all that jazz...

Gaz
That is so so true Gaz.

MS.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reliability would be very important to me, im not so concerned about suspension as journey is short and roads relatively good. "twist and go" capability (ie not pedalling) would be a nice bonus, but Ive read that these bikes have shorter motor lifes?
Hello uptonogood,

May I suggest the Woosh Karoo?
It's simple, lightweight yet very capable and comes with a large capacity battery and a throttle and is within your budget.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

• Informative

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
have tried a bit of internet research but have found the information a little overwhelming so thought someone here might be able to help
You need a test ride next. No-one can recommend an exact bike without even knowing your height!
Where do you live UTNG?

uptonogood

May 6, 2017
Southampton
Hello uptonogood,

May I suggest the Woosh Karoo?
It's simple, lightweight yet very capable and comes with a large capacity battery and a throttle and is within your budget.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo
Thanks woosh! I had seen that bike yesterday and thought it was very nice. Only problem - My employer operates via cyclescheme who you cant/don't work with. Do you have any resellers who might?

JuicyBike said:
You need a test ride next. No-one can recommend an exact bike without even knowing your height!
Where do you live UTNG?
Im 5' 9" and live in Southampton.

uptonogood

May 6, 2017
Southampton
As a biker who has just ordered an electric bike: A cheap motor bike/scooter will probably be more cost effective than an electric bike but an electric bike will keep you fitter and is more fun along the country lanes.
So, leisure use in Summer, yes, but as a Winter hack, I'm not so sure?
Yeah. I currently do 45 minutes on the treadmill each morning, I was hoping to substitute this with cycling during the winter months so started thinking push bike. Then remembered how much of a bitch it is getting up the hill to work and thought an E-bike might take the pain out of that part of the journey?

Would a 500w kit be more suited to hills? Does more watts = More torque, or are the higher wattage kits more aimed at speed? (And yes I know, not road legal).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks woosh! I had seen that bike yesterday and thought it was very nice. Only problem - My employer operates via cyclescheme who you cant/don't work with. Do you have any resellers who might?

Im 5' 9" and live in Southampton.
Hi uptonogood,

We have signed up with cyclescheme this week.

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
Warren Avenue - going to General Hospital
Yes I've been up it. I'm same height & similar weight.

I ride a cargo trike which is heavy & does not have a throttle. I'm quite fit and ride on the lowest assistance level, 1 of 5, until I get to a hill. On Warren Ave I go 1 gear lower and up assist level to 3. At the top I'm breathing hard but not sweating.

As @d8veh often says it all depends how much effort an individual puts in. I put as much in as I can but the great thing about electric assist is if I don't feel 100% I can turn the power up & just keep the pedals turning slowly.

It might be worth going to Freego in Portswood to try a few. I've not been there as they don't sell what I wanted, a cargo trike. There are several hills in Portswood to test a bike on.

Buying locally seems to be the second most important thing next to choosing a bike that does what you need.

uptonogood

May 6, 2017
Southampton
Yes I've been up it. I'm same height & similar weight.

I ride a cargo trike which is heavy & does not have a throttle. I'm quite fit and ride on the lowest assistance level, 1 of 5, until I get to a hill. On Warren Ave I go 1 gear lower and up assist level to 3. At the top I'm breathing hard but not sweating.

As @d8veh often says it all depends how much effort an individual puts in. I put as much in as I can but the great thing about electric assist is if I don't feel 100% I can turn the power up & just keep the pedals turning slowly.

It might be worth going to Freego in Portswood to try a few. I've not been there as they don't sell what I wanted, a cargo trike. There are several hills in Portswood to test a bike on.

Buying locally seems to be the second most important thing next to choosing a bike that does what you need.
Cheers for the heads up mate! I'll pop down to freego when I get a day off and see what they got in there.

Im currently looking at 500w & 750w kits on Ebay and wondering how they would fit on a "dutch style" bike.... heh

• Informative

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
My employer operates via cyclescheme
Cyclescheme are really slick, the best that we have worked with, from many over several years.
They charge retailers 10% which is just about acceptable for us. Other schemes charge up to 15%, which is when we have to ask for a 5% contribution from the rider as as top up.

• Informative