Considering the 500w BPM kit

Bachgen_o_Gymru

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2017
UK
Hi. My first post on here but I've been lurking a while. I have a front-drive bike which has poor hill climbing ability. I want to replace its current setup with a more powerful one. I'm thinking of getting the 48V 500w front-drive BPM kit from BMSBattery. I want to get the slow wind option, 201 rpm, as I'm not bothered about top speed but instead want it to have high torque for the hills. There are some very steep hills round here.

Am I right in saying that everything that is needed other than the battery is included in this kit? I noticed that it doesn't seem to include an LCD display. I would want to have an LCD display to be able to adjust the power assist level and to see how much battery is remaining.

What battery would be recommended for this kit? There is a 48v 14.5ah bottle battery listed on the site. Would that battery be suitable?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

edit: I haven't included a link to the battery I mentioned because doing so causes the message to get stuck in moderation. However, if you type the following into google search, the first link that comes up is the battery that I mention: "48V14.5Ah Case-08 Bottle Panasonic Battery Pack No Controller with a USB Charger"
And if you type the following into google, the first thing that comes up will be the kit that I mention: "Bafang BPM2 48V500W Front Driving Bike Conversion Kit"

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Instead of us searching don't be lazy put the link up for us to see the exact item you have looked at .

Bachgen_o_Gymru

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2017
UK
Instead of us searching don't be lazy put the link up for us to see the exact item you have looked at .
I tried that and the post got stuck in moderation. I re-posted it without the link included, and it worked. It looks like we're not allowed to include links in our posts on here.

If you type the following into google search, the battery I mentioned is the first thing that comes up: "48V14.5Ah Case-08 Bottle Panasonic Battery Pack No Controller with a USB Charger"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That motor and controller give really serious torque. The wheel will spin every time you open the throttle, so you need a new tyre every couple of hundred miles. Don't think about fitting it in anything but strong steel forks.

Personally, I wouldn't entertain it as a front motor. Get a rear one, which will be much better. Make sure that the battery weight is well forward to stop the bike from doing a wheelie when you open the throttle.

The controller isn't detailed, but they used to give the 30 amp KU123 with it that's very basic. Assuming that it's the same (might not be). don't think about using the pedal sensor. It's absolutely diabolical. It gives power in proportion to how fast you pedal, which is the exact opposite of what you need. This setup only works as an electric motorcycle. If that's what you want, it's perfect (rear only). You'll need double torque arms on the axle.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I wouldn't consider a front wheel drive bike for hill climbing, we have hills in the Basque Country too where I have tried one but only on a dry day. I can foresee problems in the wet because I had slippage in the dry...

Look at this:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/774-48v116ah-case-08-bottle-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

and

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/769-q128c-135mm-500w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html?content_only=1

If you have a steel frame that is a drop in/ plug in install. Add torque arms for aluminum frame. If you have a 7 or 8 speed cassette you can keep those too.

If you ever need more range plug another battery in parallel: pswpower have some cheap ones with no tax/duty for the EU.

Bachgen_o_Gymru

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2017
UK
Thanks for your replies. I want a bike that I can pedal while riding rather than one that functions as an electric motorcycle. The 48V BPM setup actually also seems a bit overkill, and having read your replies, I think a rear motor would be better than a front one. That 500w Q128C motor looks interesting, as do the 36v rear BPM kits on their site. Is it possible to get a speed-control setup rather than a torque-control setup from BMSBattery?

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just re-read the BMS battery page for the first time in a while, the in battery controller isn't up to 500W... Shame it is a very clean solution.

You want 500W because you are a big chap?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's difficult to gauge what you need because we don have a point of reference. What do you have now? How heavy are you? How far do you need to go? What sort of hills? Etc.