Conversion Kit for kids bike?

hobbes748

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2017
East of Scotland
Hi guys,

This may seem a little off the wall but I'm wondering if there's a conversion kit out there for a kids bike (probably something up to a 16 inch wheel).

My daughter is 5 and owns a PW50 motocross bike but is still too young, for insurance purposes, to come to a track with me (even the ones that have kids tracks - you need to be 6). We've tried local stubble fields etc but either get the tutting dog walkers, long distance name callers or worse.... We met a guy who was out with his daughter on an electric motocross bike who had been going through the same issues until he swapped for a leccy one. Now, no issues with anyone. So it must just be the 'put-put-put' that makes us sound like hooligans.

He told me the price of the leccy one - so I'm not going down that route but then thought about converting a kids bike with a kit that just has a throttle on it so she can work a bit on her control until her birthday. She's a demon on a bicycle and pretty good on the PW considering how much time she's had on it, but really wants to get out more.

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use any kit you want. Put a normal hub-motor from a 26" wheel in a 16" wheel and the bike will run at nearly half speed and double the torque, so should be perfect. Use a controller with current control, which means a KT controller with LCD, so you can turn the power down otherwise it will spin the wheel with too much torque. Alternatively, shave the shunt in the controller to cut down the current. Running a 36v motor at 24v will make it run at 2/3 the speed and 2/3 the power too, so that will help.

There you have it then. find a nice small 36v motor on Ebay, which will probably be in a wheel. Cut it out and lace it into a 16" rim (36 hole ones are not common, so be careful. Buy a cheapo 24v controller and throttle from Ebay. shave or crimp the shunt in the controller to get it down to about 6 amps. get a 24v cell-pack from Aliexpress and stick it in a bag behind the saddle along with the controller. the whole lot should cost about £150.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To ride in a field?
If the field is wholly private with no public access at all then you can use the bike with the owners permission other wise the letter of the law says NO.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
14 year old to ride an E-Bike but at least 10 year old to be prosecuted for any offence. The police would not want to open that can of worms.

hobbes748

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2017
East of Scotland
If the field is wholly private with no public access at all then you can use the bike with the owners permission other wise the letter of the law says NO.
Thanks, that's what I thought. But then I looked up the legislation and (to me) it looks a bit vague. It just says under 14s not allowed, it doesn't seem to differentiate between electric bicycles and electric bikes (e.g. Oset electric trial bikes). It also only mentioned dongles etc being fine on private land and made no reference to juniors being OK on the same.

For the record - I'm trying to create an electric bike and not an electric bicycle. I'd hopefully be loosing the crank and pedals in favour of welding on a pair of folding footpegs. I don't expect it to look pretty and it's only got to last her until the end of the year. It'll give me something to do while I'm waiting for my op for a torn rotator cuff.