Convert a Kona Cinder Cone to an electric bike; please help!

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Thanks for ALL the info guys; much appreciated ;) & Michael: build that bike!!!
:) Sneak peek

Really do hope I don't need to send the motor back because of the brake cutoff issue when it's so near completion!

Michael

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Now looking more likely the motor will have to go back. When I pull the brake levers, rather than cutting power to the motor it cuts the speed sensor! Speedo drops to 0 even though I'm going along. Also if I'm still pedalling then after a short while it returns Error 21, which is the speed sensor error. Great shame as other than that the bike is ready!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
have you checked for shorting in the main waterproof cable and the LCD? if it's just one of them, then you wouldn't have to remove the motor.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
No I haven't. You mean unplug the single main plug and check all the contacts for connectivity between themselves? Would I be able to check back to the motor as well using this method? Of course the speed sensor is a different cable from the motor anyway, so if there is a short with that then it would be within the motor housing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you are right, if there is a short within the motor housing then the motor will have to go back. Somehow I was hoping that the short just inside the LCD.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Thanks trex. I'll check continuity tonight and see. I have of course informed EclipseBikes who are checking with their suppliers.

Thanks for your help - it's a conundrum and a pain!

Michael

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I got the Eastway.

Now got to get the motor! :p
Congratulations!

One element of crank drive d8veh touched on earlier in the thread but that I hadn't fully appreciated before riding is the issue of motor and crank speed. It came up regarding top speed and gearing, but for me the more significant point is the linkage between motor speed and human cadence.

As a cyclist my natural cadence is probably 80-85 rpm - I'm more a spinner than a grinder as can be demonstrated by the fact that my road bike is still on its original chain and sprockets even after nearly 7k miles. The BBS01 provides its peak torque at a significantly slower speed. It is starting to run out of puff as I am just beginning to get into my comfortable cadence. However if I take it to a cadence where I start adding meaningful power I know I can always get the bike to go faster by changing up a gear, out of my useful cadence and back into the power zone of the motor.

That is one area where a hub drive is better - you are not mated to the specific gearing ratio between motor speed and cadence as you can adjust the gearing completely so you are at a comfortable cadence. We'll see how much of a problem it is after using the motor for a period - see if I've adjusted to provide power at a different rpm, if I end up running at the transition speed between motor rpm and comfortable cadence, or if I end up spinning more slowly, not using too much of my own power but using the maximum assist power.

Michael

Reactions: Sylvester

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks Michael. I'm probably going to get the 350w motor. Have you built that bike yet???

If Nealh is reading this, then my apologies for not getting over to his house and seeing his bike. :(

I'm just flat out with work at the moment. Not enough hours in the day... :confused:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Thanks Michael. I'm probably going to get the 350w motor. Have you built that bike yet???
I did but the motor had to go back for a new controller to try and sort out the brake cutout issue. Sylvester had a very similar issue and found he could use the original brake switches so if a new controller doesn't do it then I'll have to look at the other options.

My comments on cadence above were based on trying out the bike. The motor came programmed for maximum of 60% current to be available when using PAS and actually this was ample - any more and the battery drain would be too excessive for my journey. If I were you I'd get the 250w motor as it's identical in hardware to the 350w, is legal in the UK and France, and is a bit cheaper (£320 vs £345 at Eclipse). Should you find you need the extra power you can always reprogram it to 18A rather than 15A, although I'd imagine the warranty would be void.

I'll let you know when the bike's done - hopefully the motor will be back with me soon!

Michael

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
OK, been a long time without posting (sorry - been sooooooo busy!) but I've finally got a BBS01 for the Eastway.

I've removed the BB on the bike, but I've encountered a problem whilst trying to fit the 8FUN.

It will go so far in, but seems to stop when it hits the opposite side thread :(

I tried it from the other side (yes, I know it only goes one way) and again, it stops when it hits the far-side thread.

The cable guide underneath the frame has been filed down and the 8FUN doesn't touch it. There are no burs, or bumpy bits inside the BB shell (see pics attached).

Any ideas?

edit: it originally had a 68mm shell in it.

Attachments

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the shell may narrow a bit in the middle, where the tubes are joined. I'd put a bit of grease on the BBS01's bottom bracket to trace where the narrowing is then dremel it out.

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks, but I don't have a dremel, but I'll try the grease option.

Back online in 10 mins...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Scott good to hear again, I had to use a chain saw round file on my Norco BB as I had your problem with it not going through, A few thou removed hear and there and a bit of grease and in it went. On my Cube it went in straight away, build quality/quality control varies for different marks.

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Hi Neal,
Thanks for the info, but the grease worked!

Speak later, mega busy!!! ;)

Thanks all!

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
dhuez.jpeg annecy.jpg 20150613_115557.jpg OK, it's been a while since I started this thread, but I managed to get the missus on the bike and both handled Alpe d'Huez with ease! The battery had only used one bar by the time She had reached the top.

I was quite taken aback by the amount of electric bikes I saw in the mountains in France and the 46 chainring was perfect for the Alps. I must admit, 'twas funny seeing the missus speeding past all these club riders with ease (me included!) :confused: There was a lot of MTB's with Bosch motors attached and there seemed to be a lot of interest in electric bikes at the Decathlons that we visited throughout France on our travels. It's a matter of time before they are the norm... o_O

The only issue I had, is the Bafang brake sensors are utter PANTS!!! :mad:

They keep failing and I have to send them back. They keep sending me new sensors, but when I get time I'll try the original Bafang levers with the sensors enclosed as a part of the unit.

Anyhow, I would like to thank all whom helped me on this forum, but especially Nealh and mfj197 for their help getting mobile!

Thanks again all! Much appreciated!!! ;)