Convert high end 29er mountain bike or buy existing?

Craig88

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2018
Hi all, I moved to London about 2 months ago and bought an entry level ebike(ammaco) which has been great for getting around. I wanted to upgrade and was thinking about having my GT Zaskar 29er hardtail shipped over and converting that. Ideally, a kit that could do around 35kmph max for when I'm on the faster non-residential type roads.

Another alternative is getting a preowned high-end ebike. I saw a riesse muller with sports motor bosch(45kmph) for around 1,500. Naturally, the second option is more expensive but would be the better bike.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I would convert but two things to think of the cost of the kit bafang mid drive and the battery cost :rolleyes: and the terror of leaving a nice bike in London just to pop in the shop:eek:

Reactions: Craig88

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Another challenge to the OP is the disappearing QR rear axle on top spec 29ers for rear hub drive

If the OP goes for mid drive, there are variable bottom brackets widths to contend with, and possible clashes with the chain stay once an appropriately sized chain ring is fitted

Whichever drive option the OP goes for, battery fitment is a major headache (nothing less than an xl, to have a fighting chance of downtube installation on a full suspension). Oh and then there’s the extra carbon challenges if you want to take that option

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
best bike for commuting in London is the Woosh Zpehyr. The battery is nearly impossible to steal, the bike can be folded so can be taken into trains if necessary, hydraulic brakes, good suspension, Bafang SWX02 motor, about one of the lightest full size bikes you can buy under £1500, not much more than a BBS conversion.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2018