Converting a Dutch bike to electric

Jimbob01

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2017
London
Hi all this is my first post
My name is Jim and I'm just ready for an electric bike.
I would like an old Dutch bike that I can sit up straight on , go 6-10 miles on at a time towing a trailer with around 50 kg in.
There is a very steep hill or two near me so I need torque.
I've never put a bike together but have spent a decade making various stuff...
Where to start?
I noticed the kits seem to be 26"
I don't no if it's doable on an old Dutch clanker....
Any pointers please ?!?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
would you post some pictures of the donor bike?
A kit suitable for pulling heavy load is usually based on a strong motor, BPM or BBS02. A strong motor needs a strong frame and good brakes.

Jimbob01

Apr 8, 2017
London
I still haven't decided on the Dutch bike....
I thought maybe any of the "sit up and beg" types....
Does it matter that the rear brake is back peddle or would a new brake system have to be added?
Also how would the gears work?
thanks jim

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does it matter that the rear brake is back peddle or would a new brake system have to be added?
yes, it does. If your Dutch bike has back pedal rear brakes and you want to keep them, you will have to have a front motor.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hi all this is my first post
My name is Jim and I'm just ready for an electric bike.
I would like an old Dutch bike that I can sit up straight on , go 6-10 miles on at a time towing a trailer with around 50 kg in.
There is a very steep hill or two near me so I need torque.
I've never put a bike together but have spent a decade making various stuff...
Where to start?
I noticed the kits seem to be 26"
I don't no if it's doable on an old Dutch clanker....
Any pointers please ?!?
Does it have to be a Dutch bike? This link is to the frame I bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-Newest-26-inch-Single-Bend-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Frame/1413140_2030626495.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.JzOZhd
It's almost identical to the original Woosh Santana I bought. The most comfortable bike I've ever had. I looked at Dutch bikes, but could not work out where the battery would go, and keep the weight down low. I bought a new electric bike from The Range, for my wife, which had a back-pedal brake, 3 speed and front motor. The weight is too high with the battery on the rack at the rear. An alternative to buying a frame is to look for something similar on EBay, with a central battery, (hopefully cheap!) and build on from there. I tow with mine, but not 50kg! Keep searching, and don't rush in. Mine cost, in total, about £700, but it would be more now. 15AH battery from BGA Rework. I'm not sure if the 3 speed Ezee Sprint is still available. It shows up on the Cyclezee website at £795.

Jimbob01

Apr 8, 2017
London
Many thanks for the replys ...
I may have to think a bit harder....
Or find a Dutch ebike?
Surely the Dutch must have electric bikes?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

Get yourself a Woosh Big Bear LS. Problem solved!-

brompton rail

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Many thanks for the replys ...
I may have to think a bit harder....
Or find a Dutch ebike?
Surely the Dutch must have electric bikes?
Yes the Dutch have eBikes - loads!

Gazelle is one manufacturer, with a range costing between about £1500 and nearly £3000. You do tend to get what you pay for. Realistically, with Brexit, prices will not get lower as the value of the £ falls. There are plenty of UK dealers too.
Try gazellebikes.co.uk

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
No , you don't need a 'Dutch' bike as such, just a about any bike with flat bars would suit, unless you really need an 'omafiets' or 'Ompafiets' which are heavy steel framed bikes with relaxed frame geometry, by the way, the Dutch don't seem to do trailers, but use Cargo bikes, they have a trike version with a cargo bed in front, or a solo one about the length of a tandem with a narrow cargo bed in front, commonly with a gaggle of kids in front.,

Tomfish

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2017
Nottingham
Jimbob, have a look at this site.
http://slowcycles.com/index.php/ebike

This is a Bafang mid-drive conversion onto a Pashley (similar to an old Dutch bike).

Seems to me that a Dutch bike is the ideal bike for relaxed e-commuting. Converting one I'd go for one with at least 3 hub gears, and a drum/roller brake on the rear instead of back-pedal (look for two brake levers on the handlebars).

Jimbob01

Apr 8, 2017
London
Jimbob, have a look at this site.
http://slowcycles.com/index.php/ebike

This is a Bafang mid-drive conversion onto a Pashley (similar to an old Dutch bike).

Seems to me that a Dutch bike is the ideal bike for relaxed e-commuting. Converting one I'd go for one with at least 3 hub gears, and a drum/roller brake on the rear instead of back-pedal (look for two brake levers on the handlebars).
Thanks Tom I'm having a look Jim

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Converting one I'd go for one with at least 3 hub gears, and a drum/roller brake on the rear instead of back-pedal (look for two brake levers on the handlebars).
in my experience, rollerbrakes on the shimano IGHs albeit adequate for normal bikes, don't have as much stopping power as V-brakes or disc brakes.
The BBS kits put out 3, 4, 5 times the pedaling power of a regular cyclist, think about the braking power you will need when looking into conversions.

Jimbob01

Apr 8, 2017
London
in my experience, rollerbrakes on the shimano IGHs albeit adequate for normal bikes, don't have as much stopping power as V-brakes or disc brakes.
The BBS kits put out 3, 4, 5 times the pedaling power of a regular cyclist, think about the braking power you will need when looking into conversions.
It's all very promising stuff.....may we all move towards e power ☺