Converting a Marin Palisades Trail MTB

Chrisk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2017
Kent
Good evening,

I've been reading the forum for some time and I'm now decided on getting a Electric Bike Conversion Kit for my Marin Palisades Trial MTB.

I have a few questions and I'd appreciate some support as I want to make sure I buy the right kit for my bike.

My Marin has 21 gears which are Twist Shift Gears. Would this cause any problems with a conversion kit?

I am going to use the bike to commute, it's a very hilly commute hence wishing for an electric bike to make it less of a chore. I will be doing up to 20 miles a day round trip to the station and then getting the train. How secure are the kits as I'd need to lock my bike up at the station.

I weigh around 154lbs

What Electric Bike Conversion kit would you recommend? My budget is up to £500

Many thanks, your input is really appreciated
Chris

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Vandalism or theft is going to be your problem as it will be left in the same place every day for some hours so eventually some low life will take it and how secure is the station lock up. The battery is removable so always take it with you.
For 500 you are looking at hub kits try looking at cyclotricity or if still on offer the very good Oxydrive cst kit.

Chrisk

Jan 12, 2017
Kent
Thanks Neal,

That is my major concern, I've just been looking at the local train station online and the bike racks aren't even covered which isn't great.

I'll have a look at the Oxydrive cst kit, thank you for the recommendation.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Leaving a ebike locked up is one thing but if not covered then bad as they won;t stand the test if left in the rain all day.
Think about a folding ebike that can go on the train with you.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrisk

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Security of the bike is a big issue, our local Metrolink station has a Cycle Hub, which is supposed to be secure, the Hub is fully enclosed with CCTV and a Pin Code and Card is required to gain entry, to the fully enclosed small building.

I am told Bikes have been stolen from the Hub, and probably explains why there are so few Bikes in it when I pass.

Such a pity, that the Hub is not staffed, the bikes that are in there are locked to the stands by the bike owners, which says it all really.

How hard can it be to make bike storage at a train station fully secure?

As for conversion kit, if was ever to go that route I would opt for the Bafang 8fun Crank Drive, although that would be around double your budget with battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

For something like that, forget about a decent MTB. Instead, get the cheapest, crappiest bike that you can find. Put a small rear hub-motor in it, like a 201 rpm Q100H. Buy a football boot bag from a sports shop or Ebay (much cheaper), cut a piece of 5mm plywood the same size as the inside of the bag and bolt through it to the rack. Get a 48v controller and 10Ah battery. Clamp the controller to the front of the plywood. Glue padding (polystyrene or foam) to the plywood so that it makes the right size hole for the battery. When you leave you bike, take the battery with you.

Get a good lock and lock the bike to something solid.

Here's one I made from a £5 bike:

http://s451.photobucket.com/user/d8veh/media/XD motor/20140403_151613_zps8f23ae76.jpg.html

Chrisk

Jan 12, 2017
Kent
Thank you for the input, really appreciated and a lot of options to consider.

I have now dismissed the option of leaving my bike at the station as it'll either get ruined or stolen.

I've been thinking about the options of a cheaper bike to convert or a fold up bike. Although great suggestions I want to use the bike in my free time too so really need to stick with the Marin.

I'm now looking into the option of hiring a secure locker for the bike.(Something more secure than the metrolink hubs) Hopefully, this will be possible and get my project back on track.

I'll keep you updated.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Stephen

Nov 5, 2013
If you are sticking with the Marin, I can recommend the 350W rear wheel conversion from EBC at £425. Works very well on my marin.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes that is the old law you will be going back to after brexit... :rolleyes:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ah, you've opened the can of worms.......
The motor labled as 350 watts is illegal. If a manufacturer rates the motor as 250 watts it passes as legal even if it can do 500+ watts like the bbs01? The law is an donkey or summat.

Chrisk

Jan 12, 2017
Kent
If you are sticking with the Marin, I can recommend the 350W rear wheel conversion from EBC at £425. Works very well on my marin.
Thank you, that sounds good.

I'd like to use it legally on the road but it'd be great if at weekends I could take it on track and go a bit quicker if need be.

Is it possible to have this rated at 250W and then change the settings for more power on weekends?

Also what mileage are you getting on a charge?

I'm still waiting to hear back about the cycle storage, but another options is cycling to work, a 35 mile round trip that is very hilly so Ideally I'd like the kit to cope with that.

Thanks again.

Chrisk

Jan 12, 2017
Kent
For something like that, forget about a decent MTB. Instead, get the cheapest, crappiest bike that you can find. Put a small rear hub-motor in it, like a 201 rpm Q100H. Buy a football boot bag from a sports shop or Ebay (much cheaper), cut a piece of 5mm plywood the same size as the inside of the bag and bolt through it to the rack. Get a 48v controller and 10Ah battery. Clamp the controller to the front of the plywood. Glue padding (polystyrene or foam) to the plywood so that it makes the right size hole for the battery. When you leave you bike, take the battery with you.

Get a good lock and lock the bike to something solid.

Here's one I made from a £5 bike:

http://s451.photobucket.com/user/d8veh/media/XD motor/20140403_151613_zps8f23ae76.jpg.html
That you for this, I've had time to look through the pics and I'm really impressed. You've done an amazing job!

Sadly, I don't have your skill level. Very impressed and thank you for sharing

Stephen

Nov 5, 2013
Thank you, that sounds good.

I'd like to use it legally on the road but it'd be great if at weekends I could take it on track and go a bit quicker if need be.

Is it possible to have this rated at 250W and then change the settings for more power on weekends?

Also what mileage are you getting on a charge?

I'm still waiting to hear back about the cycle storage, but another options is cycling to work, a 35 mile round trip that is very hilly so Ideally I'd like the kit to cope with that.

Thanks again.
You can change the speed limit in the lcd if you really want to. The motor tops out at 18mph anyway though. The max distance I've done on mine is 30miles using power levels 1 to 3 and occasionally 5 for a very steep gravel hill which it flew up with light pedalling! It was still displaying quarter charge at the end and 36v. Not sure how many more miles that would translate to.