Could this actually work for me?

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
Hello all,

I've been a long term lurker with no login for a while. In that time I've toyed with the idea of converting a mountain bike I already own, buying a second-hand hybrid and putting a crank motor on it and buying a fresh new one.

I, like a lot of people on here it seems, can't justify 2k+ on an e-bike, therefore, total acceptable price is in the region of about 1k. The cycle to work schemes seem to really take the sting out of it when in that price territory which makes building your own a poor choice from a purely cash out of the door point of view.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that a Woosh Karoo or a Kudos Stealth is the way forward for me. I'm in the target weight/height category, want to go quick while actually doing some pedaling and price wise it is in the right area. Tony has been excellent at answering my pretty intense questions. The only problem I see is me getting to Southend to try one out.

My use case is a 15 to 18 mile commute from roughly Selsdon to the City of London a couple of times a week. Reasonably fit but not confident in doing there and back without some assistance for various proper reasons not just being mildly lazy. There is a bit of a grim hill at the end of the ride home which has seriously put me off even doing the journey once on a normal bike plus the number of lights which I believe an electric bike will help me get away from. This hill pushes me to an ebike with gears hence some of the discussed bikes in this range have been discounted.

I've read the Crowborough review, still not sure how bad the hill was compared to the hill I have to deal with and having read a number of threads it sounds like a tyre to the marathons, an NCX seat post and swapping the grips for some GP3s and a thumb throttle are worth considering. Mudguards and racks are just a fact of life for my use case. 13A or 15A is also a consideration for the distance as I feel I could be very close to the limit of a 13A range wise.

I'd be really interested to hear from anybody who has been through this journey of ebike discovery recently that looked at these bikes / this kind of bike and really interested if they have one of these two and live around South London with a similar commute.

Safe and happy riding,
James

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum James. Is the hill you have at the end Upper Selsdon Road? Not too steep but very long at the end of a day.

I haven't ridden that one but have a few times ridden nearby Sanderstead Hill in the past on an e-folder after dropping a car off at the former Saunders Abbott garage (now Ancaster).

Also long ago ridden the long Purley Downs Road hill up from the Royal Oak Centre a few times with e-bike and large trailer, including once towing a second bike lashed to the rear of the trailer by its forks, all up weight 61 kilos.

So an e-bike is a good solution for you, but I'd recommend that 15 Ah battery to be sure, since you wouldn't want to arrive at the foot of the climb with the battery dying near the end of the day's riding.

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
Hi and thanks for the welcome. It sounds like you know the area well. With regard to the route, pretty much. From South Croydon onto Upper Selsdon Road and when half way up turn right into Elmfield and into the maze with more hills. Both Sanderstead Hill and Purley Downs Road are the other options, I'm thinking up a bit, then along a bit and then up a bit more is the way to tackle it hence the zig zagging. Coming from London it would be the shortest route to do the Upper Selsdon Road.

15 A feels like the safe bet to me too. The idea of an e-bike's weight and those hills at the end of the day isn't great.

Good choice of Purley Downs Road for that rather monstrous tow, a nice wide road with the occasional level off for a breather. Was it a left or right at the end as the right bit to the roundabout / duck pond is steep? I think it is a 20+%er.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Buy a second charger and leave it at work or carry a second battery? Weight is really not an issue unless you are carrying up stairs. Im doing a similar profile climb and descent commute half the length but I can match the distance over 2 days on one charge at full power.

• Useful
Reactions: BornAgainCyclist

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good choice of Purley Downs Road for that rather monstrous tow, a nice wide road with the occasional level off for a breather. Was it a left or right at the end as the right bit to the roundabout / duck pond is steep? I think it is a 20+%er.
It was the steep right up to the roundabout, but managed ok. It was the e-bike and trailer below with the towed second bike's forks bungeed to the rear of the trailer:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Buy a second charger and leave it at work or carry a second battery? Weight is really not an issue unless you are carrying up stairs. Im doing a similar profile climb and descent commute half the length but I can match the distance over 2 days on one charge at full power.
the OP wouldn't have to.
The Karoo is supplied with 13AH/15AH or 17.5AH battery and having narrow fast rolling tyres and a rigid fork, you can hit 70+ miles with a 13AH battery, 100 miles with a 15AH battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hats off to you. Have you had a go at Succomb's Hil yet, with or without assistance?
No, but not through steepness but how potentially dangerous it is with so much traffic and that narrow, tight, left hand bend near the top.

But I have ridden a bit worse not far away, White Lane off Titsey Hill, leading up to Clarks Lane. That's 1 in 3.3 in part and closed to through traffic, but I ignored that restriction once and just managed it on my converted Quando hub motor e-bike. I was over 70 at the time and it half killed me, so never again!