Country lane commute options

Hillhelp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2017
Oxon
I put a deposit on the Captus yesterday and submitted my Cyclescheme application. Thanks for all the advice – even though I appear to have ignored much of it! Will the Captus be better for my commute than a hub drive? Possibly not, but I’ll probably never know as I won’t have a hub drive bike to compare it to long term, and I expect to be using it for fun as well as the commute. I’m sure it will offer me huge benefits over my existing push bike and will hopefully keep me cycling to work everyday. I think I’ve got a good deal on it, and for me a relationship with my local shop is important.

One thing that swung it for me was thinking back and realising that over my cycling life I’ve had to replace more rear wheels than chains due to damage or wear – something that I guess would be more of a problem on a hub drive than a crank drive.

The important thing is that the decision is made and the sooner I get out there the better. I’ll let you know how I get on with it once I get it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will the Captus be better for my commute than a hub drive? Possibly not,
don't think about it, just enjoy your new bike.
Next year, you can always sell the Cactus and get something different on a new C2W.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
The important thing is that the decision is made and the sooner I get out there the better.
That is the most important thing.

So many are asking advice to the N'th degree and never going to buy, I pity Woosh and think the Pope might Canonise them for their patience one day.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: Gaz and Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I put a deposit on the Captus yesterday and submitted my Cyclescheme application. Thanks for all the advice – even though I appear to have ignored much of it! Will the Captus be better for my commute than a hub drive? Possibly not, but I’ll probably never know as I won’t have a hub drive bike to compare it to long term, and I expect to be using it for fun as well as the commute. I’m sure it will offer me huge benefits over my existing push bike and will hopefully keep me cycling to work everyday. I think I’ve got a good deal on it, and for me a relationship with my local shop is important.

One thing that swung it for me was thinking back and realising that over my cycling life I’ve had to replace more rear wheels than chains due to damage or wear – something that I guess would be more of a problem on a hub drive than a crank drive.

The important thing is that the decision is made and the sooner I get out there the better. I’ll let you know how I get on with it once I get it.
... Good call enjoy it. Why not ask the shop to slime the tubes before you take delivery and buy one of those car valve to presta adapter s .. about 2£ , so you can keep the tyres nice and hard. The only regret about the Captus /Motus is that they have those pesky valves.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I pity Woosh and think the Pope might Canonise them for their patience one day.
it has always been hard work for me to maintain the website and our presence on the forum and facebook.
One of the problems is that although customers like the features and the bikes, some find our prices are too low therefore there must be something wrong or something we are hiding.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
One of the problems is that although customers like the features and the bikes, some find our prices are too low therefore there must be something wrong or something we are hiding.
I know you mentioned before about the dealer's 30% making a big difference.
The C2W scheme employer place uses is only through Halfords....but you can buy anything on their website, so it includes manufacturers that I initially wouldnt have thought obtainable through this particular C2W....are the manufacturers having to pay the dealer cut to go through Halfords in this way?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
are the manufacturers having to pay the dealer cut to go through Halfords in this way?
They want 15% fees for the first job.
May go down to 10% if you do a lot of business with them.

• Informative
Reactions: phil01

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they get a bit from the employer and from the employee too.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
some find our prices are too low therefore there must be something wrong or something we are hiding.
Answer.

Bring out the exact same bike but paint them gold and green or bright yellow, call them the "premium line, when you demand excellence".

Charge £500 more to make the buyers feel secure in their purchase. Everything stays the same for you as its the same bikes and parts just "premium line", thinking about Soundwave put plenty of gold on them as Power Ranger chic is very much in fashion.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bring out the exact same bike but paint them gold and green or bright yellow, call them the "premium line, when you demand excellence".

Charge £500 more to make the buyers feel secure in their purchase.
Hatti has got a sales call this morning.

'Hello, I want to know where your bikes are made'

'China'

'So they are not made in the UK then? I've been to see X, theirs are made in the UK'

'No, X is designed in the UK but also made in China'

'But their motor is made in the UK though?'

'No, their motor is made in China, not far from the Bafang factory that makes ours'.

The caller is not convinced that he's been lied to.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz and IR772
D

Deleted member 4366

I had the same conversation with a guy (punter not salesman) in our local bike shop last week, who was telling me about various brands made in the UK. Naturally, I put him straight. He didn't believe me either until I told him that I've been there and seen them.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I had the same conversation with a guy (punter not salesman) in our local bike shop last week, who was telling me about various brands made in the UK. Naturally, I put him straight. He didn't believe me either until I told him that I've been there and seen them.
Naturally!

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I spoke to someone yesterday who had just purchased a captus from local shop as they are discounting some models, he had only had it a couple of days, I did 31 he stated until I told him display was in km.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Congratulations Hillhelp.

I think you have made a great choice.

I feel very lucky to be able to cycle to work and back and feel much healthier for doing so.

My round trip distance to work and back and my need to carry quite a weight of stuff in panniers meant that an ebike was the only solution.

I am sure more and more people will begin to use them as they realize how capable they are.

Hillhelp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2017
Oxon
Cyclescheme certificate arrived last night so hope to pick up the bike today – feeling like a kid at Christmas!

I read on another thread, IR772, that someone had been considering their prospective purchase for two years! I’d rather make a non ideal choice, get two years use out of it and learn more about what is good and bad and then buy a more ideal one than hang around for that long.

I’ve no problem with Presta valves, Danidl, having used them for years. I have a track pump at home so I always keep the pressure up. Might consider the slime though.

Nothing against your bikes, Woosh – a couple seemed to fit my needs and they’re a good price. I’m just happier buying bikes from my local bike shop 4 miles down the road. It’s not a national chain and this will be my 4th bike (if I include my son’s bikes) from this shop where we’ve always been well looked after.

I’m under no illusions that the Captus will be lovingly crafted by a bunch of blokes in Nottingham – I don’t mind where the Bosch power system is manufactured as long as the backup is there - even if final assembly was in Europe I would expect most of the component parts would be from Asia.

I’ll let you know my first impressions of the bike later.

Reactions: Danidl and IR772

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Cyclescheme certificate arrived last night so hope to pick up the bike today – feeling like a kid at Christmas!

I read on another thread, IR772, that someone had been considering their prospective purchase for two years! I’d rather make a non ideal choice, get two years use out of it and learn more about what is good and bad and then buy a more ideal one than hang around for that long.

I’ve no problem with Presta valves, Danidl, having used them for years. I have a track pump at home so I always keep the pressure up. Might consider the slime though.

Nothing against your bikes, Woosh – a couple seemed to fit my needs and they’re a good price. I’m just happier buying bikes from my local bike shop 4 miles down the road. It’s not a national chain and this will be my 4th bike (if I include my son’s bikes) from this shop where we’ve always been well looked after.

I’m under no illusions that the Captus will be lovingly crafted by a bunch of blokes in Nottingham – I don’t mind where the Bosch power system is manufactured as long as the backup is there - even if final assembly was in Europe I would expect most of the component parts would be from Asia.

I’ll let you know my first impressions of the bike later.
... Good on you you Enjoy!