CRANK FOR BAFANG 750

Oscdav

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2014
    • Hello all! I recently purchased a great bike kitted out with a BBS2 750w by a forum member.
      This experience has left me smitten and have purchased the same BAFANG motor for a bike conversion in Norway where I live. Below is the frame model and crank size details.
      My question is - will the Bafang fit this frame type?
    • Ghost AMR Plus Lector 7700 Suspension Bike 2009
      • Frame: AMR Plus HM Carbon/Alloy MIMS SCL
      • BB: Shimano Pressfit BB
      • Crank: Shimano XT 42-32-24
  • WIKI INFO on bottom bracket type
  • Pressfit BB: PressFit Bottom Brackets feature bearing shells that are directly pressed – and not screwed - into the bottom bracket housing. The larger housing width allows for a wider down tube. Greater support width results in increased stiffness. The screwless design improves stability and reduces maintenance.
  • Pressed Bearing Standards[edit]
    Bicycle frames utilizing pressed bearing standards do not have any threads inside the bottom bracket shell. The bottom bracket is pressed directly into the frame. Using pressed in standards allows frame manufacturers greater flexibility in frame design that many times offers greater stiffness and weight reductions. The current pressed-bearing standards (and developed by) are: BB30 (Cannondale), PF30 (SRAM), BB90 & BB95 (Trek), BB86 & BB92 (Shimano), BB79 (Cervelo’s BBRight), and BB386EVO (FSA and BH bicycles). In BB30, BB90 & BB95 systems: the bearings are pressed directly into the frame. For PF30, BB86 & BB92, BB79, and BB386EVO; the bearing is housed in a nylon plastic cup that is pressed into the frame’s bottom bracket shell. Pressed in standards usually require two-piece cranksets where the spindle is attached to one of the crankarms. Due to fixed spindle length and diameter, cranksets designed for one pressed standard may not be compatible with another. For example, a crankset made specifically for BB30 will not fit in a BB86 bottom bracket and frame. There are other instances where adapters can be used to fit a crankset made for one standard into another. For example, a Shimano (two piece Hollowtech II 24mm OD spindle) road crankset can fit into a BB30 bottom bracket shell (42mm ID) using aftermarket adapters.

• Thanks so much for help people :)! Oscdav.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You'll need to get a pair of plain bushes turned up to replace the BB bearings that you have. They need to be the same OD as your existing bearings, but with the ID to fit the BBS02 shaft. you also need to fabricate something to stop the motor rotating around the BB. A simple tie-bar and clamp to one or both of the anti-rotation bracket screws should do it.

There are some ready made adaptors available, but it depends which BB you have. They're designed to convert to a threaded BB, so not as good as making your own. Any local workshop would be able to make you a pair for less than what you'd pay for the adaptors anyway.

Another thing: PP-type bottom brackets are often wider than conventional ones. You might have a problem with the BBS02's shaft being too short. We had to use a 100mm shaft version. The standard one only goes up to 73mm BBs. which length shaft did you get?

Here's the bushes I had made:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oscdav

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2014
Hello all,
Got some great info pm'd from Dave, on my first attempt at Bafang conversion, BB types, sizes and bike types etc. Those best for conversion at least. Now I have sourced 4 Giant NRS….2x 2007… ex demo, 2x 2009…new and still boxed. Prices not yet agreed. Could be interesting.
Also came upon a strange arrogant guy here in Norway that was selling a Yeti 575 2011 at a give away price. Getting any info from him on BB type was a no-go! But I couldn't let it go….bought it. I got a cheap Uber type company to deliver it and bizarrely, he came with it same afternoon in his own Tesla X ! These lecci. cars are massively subsidized by the Government here.
But DELIVERY VAN…?
Turn's out that the Yeti 575 I bought has a screw in BB shell and is a 73mm wide Shimano Hollowtech . Not sure yet of diameter.Just doing some research on this fitting type.
Question… Are their peep's out there that have any experience of a Bafang BBS03, 68mm bottom bracket conversion. Using a Yeti 575 Hollowtech type 73mm BB shell. Spacers, I think are needed!

Cheer's all!

Oscdav