Crazy Insane laptop option.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I spent a while last night trying to get my tv hooked upto watch films from the laptop. Within minutes, I'd resorted to good old Google. I had the correct cable so just had go to control panel / appearance and personalisation / personalisation / display settings, then click on screen 2, mess with the resolution, and hey presto, it sort of worked. I had the decktop background but no icons on my tv. Anyway, I'll not bore you (too late I know), but after experimenting, I found myself with NO icons or mouse pointer on the laptop, NOTHING on tv, and no way to undo what I'd done. Well, how can you do ANYTHING with no mouse pointer!!!!!!!!!! And my main source of power (Google) wasn't accessible!

WHY THE FLIBBERTY FLOB WOULD ANYONE WANT THIS OPTION ?????!!!!!:eek:

Fortunately, I know 2 (and it's only 2) 'tricks' on the 'puter. Press and hold 'off' to turn it off when it all goes t1ts up. This didn't work, but combined with my other bit of knowledge (hold F1 whilst booting up, and entering safe mode) and with more luck than judgement, all became well and calmness returned. :)

I'm not sure if I fluked a fix, or the pc just got fed up with being interfered with and fixed itself.:)

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I did a very similar thing, except my video out was not working for some reason - ended up with 2 blank screens and it persisted through a reboot. Luckily I had another computer and found out that I had to press f8 4 times - hey presto the computer screen was restored.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Hah - I am fairly sure that I could duplicate my incompetence on any computer.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I'm not sure what point you're making Mussels as I've never bought any extra equipment for my Macs but I can watch films on a 50" Panasonic perfectly well.

Indalo

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi There I use a mac Video conferring is so easy I have a new i mac

with a built in camera Perfect

I just cant wait for my exchange upgrade to BT infinity

40 meg download 2 meg upload

They laid fiber to the local cabinet then copper to your house

Bt say my connection is to a exchange that supports infinity

switch on in June no extra cost to what i am paying now

Frank

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
You don't need a Mac to do it, my Windoze 7 laptop works perfectly with my TV through an HDMI cable. I guess if he has an older laptop then it may not be so good but he'd have the same problem with an older Mac.

Advertisers