Creaking Noise & OCD Arghhhh

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Just when i'm happy with my bike Haibike xduro allmtn 2016, it develops a creaking noise. Noise only happens when riding, but even when not pedaling it's still there, but not so much.

Can i find where it's coming from, no. Tried quiet country lanes bending low on bike to try and identify it to no avail. It doesn't matter what mode i'm in, but noise is slight quieter when descending, but still there. Grrrrrr

Decided to call in the bike mechanic as the OCD is playing havoc!!.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
check the main pivot bolt is not coming loose the one above the rear sus left hand side then the bottom one were the ses wheel is then the back 4 on the rear of the frame.

i had to lock tight all of mine as was not done when new thus why i have the cable ties ;)

Reactions: IR772

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
I can feel your pain, I end up constantly checking suspension linkages, bottom brackets, cranksets, peddles etc. to find the slightest noise. drives me mad!

I used to go mountain biking with my Sister once a week, she had the same squeak for about 2 years :mad:

• :D
Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
check the main pivot bolt is not coming loose the one above the rear sus left hand side then the bottom one were the ses wheel is then the back 4 on the rear of the frame.

i had to lock tight all of mine as was not done when new thus why i have the cable ties ;)
Thanks i'll check that:)

Mortlake

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2015
Surrey
When my Yamaha equipped Haibike was new I traced a creak to a loose chainring bolt, recently an identical noise reappeared and luckily I remembered that I had fitted a new saddle, tightening the saddle rail clamp cured the problem. It seems that the various tubes and stays always transmit noise to the BB area.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I had the same though not on a Haibike. As above, check all the suspension linkages inside and outside for tightness, only 11nm torque so be careful. Then squirt them liberally with GT85 or similar, it cured mine. It could also be the seatpost, saddle or clamp, all can creak. Very unlikely to be bearing failure at that age though it cannot be ruled out.
Good luck.
Tom

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I have the same bike and also got the dreaded creak I tightened the crank nuts and they only moved a fraction but problem solved.

Reactions: Tom Rae

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Thanks for info guys. Decided to go for the full service £60, 3 hrs and he stripped bike down, lubed all and put back. only bits not touched was motor / front fork (other than lube and reset).

Pleased to say no creak, so very happy. The guy who serviced bike said it may have been pedals, dropper, rear sis link...go knows

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can feel your pain, I end up constantly checking suspension linkages, bottom brackets, cranksets, peddles etc. to find the slightest noise. drives me mad!
The curse of electric motor silence. We never had to worry about bicycle squeaks and rattles with two strokes. :)

Reactions: IR772

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if you want one then will be 8-10k and even then i doubt you could buy one till next year anyway.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I had a slight creak that was starting to get worse and really annoying on my sDuro yamaha.

After reading this thread I checked the tightness of the engine mounting bolts and the bolts that hold the chainring on.

The bolts for the motor were tight but the chainring ones would all take a quarter ish of a turn more without over tightening.

This morning on my ride to work all was blissful silence. Good tip lzzykerlike.

Related Articles

Advertisers