Cube 2016 Travel Pro step through sizing

Howard Thomas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2016
Bucks
Hello All,

I'm looking to buy our first e-bikes - mainly for exploring when at campsites in our Motorhome. Like most I've trolled the internet to find the right model and found sites like Pedelecs really useful (Thanks)

I've also visited a few dealers within a 30 mile radius but disappointed with the lack of stock and demonstrators in my preferred style/size - probably the swop to 2017 models the likely cause

I've got a budget of £1600-£1800 and I'm getting mine first to learn the ropes before buying another one for my wife.

I'm in my 60's and narrowed my choice down to a step through frame with central drive and circa 400/500w battery. There's quite a few options out there and I particularly like Kalkhoff and Cube.

I've found some great deals on Cube from internet sellers - they generally have 50cm and 54cm step through frames sizes available. Cube's size chart is not helpful (why don't manufacturers list floor to seat height like motorcycle makers do?)

So here's the question - I'm 5'10" with a 29.5 inside leg. Should I order a 50cm or 54cm for relaxed country lane cruising with feet down capability?

Many thanks for any advice

Cheers

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Hello All,

I'm looking to buy our first e-bikes - mainly for exploring when at campsites in our Motorhome. Like most I've trolled the internet to find the right model and found sites like Pedelecs really useful (Thanks)

I've also visited a few dealers within a 30 mile radius but disappointed with the lack of stock and demonstrators in my preferred style/size - probably the swop to 2017 models the likely cause

I've got a budget of £1600-£1800 and I'm getting mine first to learn the ropes before buying another one for my wife.

I'm in my 60's and narrowed my choice down to a step through frame with central drive and circa 400/500w battery. There's quite a few options out there and I particularly like Kalkhoff and Cube.

I've found some great deals on Cube from internet sellers - they generally have 50cm and 54cm step through frames sizes available. Cube's size chart is not helpful (why don't manufacturers list floor to seat height like motorcycle makers do?)

So here's the question - I'm 5'10" with a 29.5 inside leg. Should I order a 50cm or 54cm for relaxed country lane cruising with feet down capability?

Many thanks for any advice

Cheers
I have a Cube hybrid e-bike in 19 inch or 48.3 cm,i am 5`11``,you could do a Cube frame geometry search for the model you like.
If you are thinking about kalkhoff do some research on the motor because caution is advised.The problems are well documented on this forum.

Howard Thomas

Sep 3, 2016
Bucks
I have a Cube hybrid e-bike in 19 inch or 48.3 cm,i am 5`11``,you could do a Cube frame geometry search for the model you like.
If you are thinking about kalkhoff do some research on the motor because caution is advised.The problems are well documented on this forum.
The model I'm looking at is a Travel Hybrid Pro

Thank you for the feedback. Yes I'm put off Kalkoff too and they're quite pricey when specs compared to Cube.

This is the model I'm looking at.....

https://www.cube.eu/en/products/e-bike-trekking/travel-hybrid/cube-travel-hybrid-pro-400-darkbluenflashblue-2016/

There's frame geometry details there however it's not referenced to rider height, inside leg etc

Is this similar to your frame style?

Thanks again

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011

Thank you for the feedback. Yes I'm put off Kalkoff too and they're quite pricey when specs compared to Cube.

https://www.cube.eu/en/products/e-bike-trekking/travel-hybrid/cube-travel-hybrid-pro-400-darkbluenflashblue-2016/

There's frame geometry details there however it's not referenced to rider height, inside leg etc

Thanks again
Mine is the hybrid race 500 carbon model,looking at the geometry for the step through it looks like the 54 would suit,the 50 could be a little cramped.
Cube make great bikes and if you can buy local do so because it cuts down on the hassle if anything goes wrong.

Howard Thomas

Sep 3, 2016
Bucks
Mine is the hybrid race 500 carbon model,looking at the geometry for the step through it looks like the 54 would suit,the 50 could be a little cramped.
Cube make great bikes and if you can buy local do so because it cuts down on the hassle if anything goes wrong.
Thanks again Nemesis,

I've just found a size guide buried in the FAQs under the 'Service' section of the cube website.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/service/faq/

Based on height they confirm I'm a 50-54 as expected. Using the alternative inside leg formula it works out to 54.78, however they say deduct 5cm if there's a suspension seat post (there is), so that makes it 49.78. Call me Mr Inbetween!
They do qualify the above by saying if you're in between - go smaller for sporty, go larger for comfort.

Think I'll go 54 as you suggested as I'm definitely in the comfort riding camp these days

If they gave a min/max saddle height I could have easily compared this to my other bikes

Reactions: nemesis

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool

Thanks again
Don't know anything about the specs, but that's a very nice looking bike, love the styling

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Howard
There is three golden rules you are missing before buying a bike.
1 test ride, a selection of bikes,
2 test ride some more
3 test ride even more.
Spending over £1k it has to be worth visiting a few dealers and doing the above.
Good luck

• Agree
Reactions: Crockers and IR772

Howard Thomas

Sep 3, 2016
Bucks
Thank you Dave - the problem is finding demos on the ground in the 2016/17 changeover. I've had a couple of demos and talked to any ebike owner I came across.
Unfortunately I missed the NEC show which would have been the best opportunity to test and compare.
In the end I took the plunge and ordered a Cube 500 Travel pro from an online retailer. It arrived yesterday. I ignored the sellers sizing guide and using the manufacturers formula, went smaller - still a massive piece of kit and heavy but generally very well made. Unfortunately the rear wheel looks like it got buckled in transit and has a big run-out, so it's going back.
Starting to think uncomplicated and light is becoming more appealing and tempted to have a Gtech trial, trading all the toys for simplicity

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Thank you Dave - the problem is finding demos on the ground in the 2016/17 changeover. I've had a couple of demos and talked to any ebike owner I came across.
Unfortunately I missed the NEC show which would have been the best opportunity to test and compare.
In the end I took the plunge and ordered a Cube 500 Travel pro from an online retailer. It arrived yesterday. I ignored the sellers sizing guide and using the manufacturers formula, went smaller - still a massive piece of kit and heavy but generally very well made. Unfortunately the rear wheel looks like it got buckled in transit and has a big run-out, so it's going back.
Starting to think uncomplicated and light is becoming more appealing and tempted to have a Gtech trial, trading all the toys for simplicity
Or, try your buckled bike for size just to make sure you like where everything is. Then wait for the replacement.

The Cube looks a lovely bike, it is a lot more money than the Gtech but, gears, big battery etc would make the difference for me.

I would guess they will still be making the cube in 3 years time as well.

You have been unlucky, give it one more go, you won't be disappointed as that Cube is a looker.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If it fits, you could get the wheel trued for about a tenner and keep it.

That decision may depend on how much faff and cost it is to send it back.

You would also then have some leverage with online retailer for a few quid in compo, or a decent discount off a bike for the wife.

D

Deleted member 4366

Funny you should post about a Touring Pro step through I was just drooling over this http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-touring-pro-lady-frame-black-grey-lime-498036/wg_id-8680

54 cm, internal cable run, wired for lights, 50€ and the right colour... :) I am enjoying my bike but it is a 48 cm frame and though I am not perched as I was on the tiny frame I am missing a couple of cm here and there. Ah! How we strive for perfection... :rolleyes:
It says,"Cube Touring Pro Lady Frame black grey lime".

Is there something you want to tell us?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Acht! Germans!

Structurally if you want the same strength from a single tube step through you increase the weight by at least 800 grams, often 1.2 kg.

And what I want to say is COMFORT! COMFORT! COMFORT! I don't miss the top bar at all.

The big fashion thing here is the very fine tubed mixte frame style, even big burly rugby players have been seen on them.

Timbo

Sep 5, 2016
Cork
Howard,

I'm the same size as you, and found that the Cube 54cm step-through was a good fit. For some finer adjustment, I've replaced the cruising handlbars with straight ones, and fitted a shorter stem, but that's just a personal preference - useful to consider if you need to alter anything.

Howard Thomas

Sep 3, 2016
Bucks
Thank you - that's really helpful. I ordered a 54cm from a well known online retailer. I agree it was probably the closest fit and could be tailored further to make it right. Sadly the one I had came with a buckled rear wheel (think the box had been dropped and the heavy battery probably did the rest). Nicely made bike though.
Hopefully the replacement will be ok