Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA SL 500 (2017)

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Hi all!

I was surfing around looking for a new commuter. I mostly bike roads but also a little gravel and trails sometimes. Now I have a "trekking" bike with 60mm fork and front hub drive. It feels like I should need something more trail-oriented with mid drive. As I live in a quite hilly area and want to go everywhere.

So I have searched alot, Haibike and others, until I found this Cube. Awesome price for a CX-motor which is, as it seems, amongst the best choices? And it is so beatiful I think! Very nice bike.

Anyone has some opinions of this one? Guess I will need to change front sprocket. And I am also a little worried that the built-in motor will overheat?! But I guess that's not a problem (I have that problem now and hate it).

https://www.cube.eu/sk/2017/e-bike-hardtail/reaction-hybrid/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-sl-500-blacknglossy-2017/

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When I clicked the link one of the images of a blue/black/red cube had upside down forks and a big gap over the wheel. Have had a few beers but that's how it looked in that one image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oh yes I got the full page but spotted that which looked interesting so isolated it and did a screen grab.. didn't realise upside downers were out there.. looks kool

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Why do you think that the motor will overheat?

I'd have thought that the standard 16t front sprocket would also be okay for reasonably hilly areas, especially with the 11-46 cassette.
well, since there as so much extra sorrounding the motor. But I guess they have considered that one so it should be a non-issue.

Yes, I think it is ok for mtb'ing, but image if one should use a dongle and be able to pass the cruise state. Then it could be nice with bigger. But I have seen lots of other sprockets. I hope they are easy to change so you can change over to the 16T again when doing only forrest. And put on the 18T or whatever you chose when monday comes and ready for commuting. Or maybe that ain't no issue at all with such a wide cassette.

Whatever, that is not a deal-braker. Easy to "fix" afterwards.

I like that bike more and more. Prepared for mud guards and I guess a simple rack will fit also. Perfect for all-round use it seems.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
well, since there as so much extra sorrounding the motor. But I guess they have considered that one so it should be a non-issue.

Yes, I think it is ok for mtb'ing, but image if one should use a dongle and be able to pass the cruise state. Then it could be nice with bigger. But I have seen lots of other sprockets. I hope they are easy to change so you can change over to the 16T again when doing only forrest. And put on the 18T or whatever you chose when monday comes and ready for commuting. Or maybe that ain't no issue at all with such a wide cassette.

Whatever, that is not a deal-braker. Easy to "fix" afterwards.

I like that bike more and more. Prepared for mud guards and I guess a simple rack will fit also. Perfect for all-round use it seems.
SW has a double front cog conversion and I bought some mudhugger guards that were excellent

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you can kick it over with ur foot but might chop ur toes off lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes but its on the inside of the big sprocket is the only pita so can only change the inside sprocket.

tho if you could grind down a cheap sprocket to make a spacer that should work as that all it is.

the lock ring will need the thread all the way to the end tho as my other one has a space so will not screw on.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
REACTION HYBRID HPA SL 500 - This top of my Santa's list
+1 (but I might make santa come earlier)
I just discovered there are like 20 different models. Anyone knows the difference between the SL and SLT (except that the SLT comes with 2.6" tyres (and Fox fork), I really hope frame is the same so you can fit 2.6" on the SL also)
/edit: The SLT frame has "boost" (and X12) whatever that is

https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/e-bike-hardtail/reaction-hybrid/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-sl-500-blacknglossy-2017/
https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/e-bike-hardtail/reaction-hybrid/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-slt-500-blacknflashyellow-2017/

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
The SLT frame has "boost" (and X12) whatever that is
ok, boost is a little wider dropout, and X12 is the axle for it. It might well be because of that the SLT use 2.8. So this is a huge factor when considering (and it's also about €500 more).

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
didn't realise upside downers were out there.. looks kool
KTM are enjoying great success with that at both world level racing and at amateur level racing.

Their eMTB's fitted with USD front forks don't look too shabby either. I'm even actually tempted to sell the Macina Lycan in favour of one. :) Not that I can find the limits of the existing bike, just my own.

Reactions: IR772

Related Articles

Advertisers