Cube Reaction versus Cross Hybrid

Mogberi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
Durham
After trying half a dozen ebikes I had more or less decided to buy the Reaction Hybrid 500 at £1999. However a forum member suggests I look at the Cross Hybrid Pro All Road which is about the same price and has some 'commuting' features which I do like. Unfortunately local dealers do not have it in stock. Does anybody have any experience of this alternative option from Cube and when will it become available.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Both have rather low end bike components.
Cheap forks, brakes and tyres.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Both have rather low end bike components.
Cheap forks, brakes and tyres.
The components are far from bargain basement, unlike some ebike manufacturers that don't even bother (or more likely ashamed) to state there components on spec sheets.

Deore are good mid range shifters, they've given me 1000s km over 15yrs of trouble free operation. The M355 ( version of M315) brakes on my hard tail have proved to be excellent and reliable, unlike low end Tektro's on our other bikes. Suntour coil shocks are not in same league as airshocks but they are considerably better than likes of Zoom an Topgun.

Most importantly Bosch CX drive is best drive you can get.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The components are far from bargain basement, unlike some ebike manufacturers that don't even bother (or more likely ashamed) to state there components on spec sheets.
You would expect from a £2000 bike £1400 on the electrics and £600 on the bike. Not for the suggested two.
The SR NEX-E25 is inexpensive, worth about £60. The Shimano BR-M315 are also the cheapest from Shimano, £16.99 each.
I will stick with Cube. There are enough comments on here to convince me that Cube bikes are both quality and good value.
I don't think there is anything wrong with Cube bikes but I reckon these two are not good value for money. I suggested one of them based on your top limit budget of £2000.
Cube bikes are better value for money when you start a little higher.
For £200 more, you have better shocks, drivetrain and wheel hubs.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Reaction-Hybrid-HPA-Race-500-27-5-2017-Electric-Bike_97706.htm

The shocks are RockShox Recon Silver TK AIR instead, the drivetrain is SLX and XT not Acera.

Mogberi

Apr 22, 2017
Durham
You would expect from a £2000 bike £1400 on the electrics and £600 on the bike. Not for the suggested two.
The SR NEX-E25 is inexpensive, worth about £60. The Shimano BR-M315 are also the cheapest from Shimano, £16.99 each.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Cube bikes but I reckon these two are not good value for money. I suggested one of them based on your top limit budget of £2000.
Cube bikes are better value for money when you start a little higher.
For £200 more, you have better shocks, drivetrain and wheel hubs.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Reaction-Hybrid-HPA-Race-500-27-5-2017-Electric-Bike_97706.htm

The shocks are RockShox Recon Silver TK AIR instead, the drivetrain is SLX and XT not Acera.
Thanks. I will look at that. I don't mind spending an extra £200 if it makes a real difference.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, I think it would. Acera and Suntour coil forks are the stuff I put on my £800-£1,000 bike. I've put better stuff on my £1,000+ bikes.
Crank drives rely on slick gear change to reduce wear and tear on the drivetrain. There should not be any basic stuff there.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
£200 is worth it alone for air shock, with added bonus of top end gears.

At £2200 you will have excellent hard tail, capable of doing it all, touring, commuting and advanced MTB tracks.

Allow for new chain every 1000miles, new cassette and chainring every 2000miles. A service of shock and brakes every year or two. Brake pads well depend on how and where you ride.
These running costs may seem expensive but a savings on a month's worth of commuting should cover it.
The health benefits and smile factor you can't put a price on.

Mogberi

Apr 22, 2017
Durham
£200 is worth it alone for air shock, with added bonus of top end gears.

At £2200 you will have excellent hard tail, capable of doing it all, touring, commuting and advanced MTB tracks.

Allow for new chain every 1000miles, new cassette and chainring every 2000miles. A service of shock and brakes every year or two. Brake pads well depend on how and where you ride.
These running costs may seem expensive but a savings on a month's worth of commuting should cover it.
The health benefits and smile factor you can't put a price on.
Many thanks Trevor and everybody else.