Cube Stereo Hybrid

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
The sunny side of the Alps
After months of waiting my Cube is finally here.
I only had a chance to drive it from the shop to my house, but I'm already more than happy with it.

I started driving in OFF mode, and only turned to ECO uphill. It is an incredible feeling. It almost feels like driving downhill all the time :)

After about 20 miles (and a few up and downhills, 100m in altitude on a rocky trail) I started to feel tired and I switched to ECO full-time for about 10 miles and the pain in the legs went away immediately. For the grand finale, I live on top of a hill. 300 meters of elevation in a few miles. I switched to TOUR and was smiling all the way to the top :)

Right before the end the first bar on the battery finally disappeared. I was getting worried it might be broken :)

Yes, I was a bit tired, and could use the battery more, but that is not why I bought the bike. I only intend to use the motor to help me climb the hills I have trouble climbing on my own because of a very high heart rate. And also in the mountains, where the trails are too steep to even try riding before.

A few more things I noticed.

Shifting when motor.powered is kinda hard and loud.
The chain/something(quick clicking sound) is VERY loud when riding and not pedalling.
Walk assist works great. It even works with me on the bike and not turning the pedals.(up to 4mph)
The chain does not turn when back-pedalling. Really didn't know that.
The brakes are MUCH weaker than expected. (My first disc-brakes) Seller said they would become stronger with use...?

More info with pictures follow soon!

Reactions: LeighPing

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
The disc pads shouldn't take that long to bed in. If you've done 30 miles+ and you've used them a fair bit, they should be ok. I normally bed mine in by doing some hard braking until they work properly.

Reactions: Fish2

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
The disc pads shouldn't take that long to bed in. If you've done 30 miles+ and you've used them a fair bit, they should be ok. I normally bed mine in by doing some hard braking until they work properly.
After a few more rides, the braking might really be a bit better. Will wait for a real "downhill" ride, before complaining to the shop.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
On the rear derailleur there is plastic level, this is clutch which when engaged (lies flat) puts extra tension on chain. Disengage it (reduces tension on chain) when removing wheel. Make sure you have it engage for off road, it will stop chain suck if chain dries out or gets muddy. Trust me you don't want chain suck on these bikes especially with the Cube engine cover.

• Agree

trillium11

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2017
Lancashire, England
Hi all, I've just ordered a cube HPA race 500 and can't wait to try out this new tech for commute plus MTB trails. I'll be back for any handy hints and tips but I've already got some :)

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
I just noticed there are no nuts on the valves. And I can actually push the valve inside the tire. Is that a new thing and it's normal?

All my older bikes have the nuts to keep the valve in place.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I just noticed there are no nuts on the valves. And I can actually push the valve inside the tire. Is that a new thing and it's normal?

All my older bikes have the nuts to keep the valve in place.
Slightly cheaper for the bike manufacturer which adds up over the thousands of tubes they buy, but doesn't make much difference to you as a user.

I prefer tubes with lock rings because many pumps are press fit so go on easier if the valve is held in place.

Nothing to worry urgently about, but I would look out for a tube with a lock ring at replacement time.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz and Fish2

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
My first real MOUNTAIN climb. Climbing 3280 feet in 6 miles. The terrain was very different. From tarmac to rocks, dirt, sand, roots....
I was keeping my heart rate at max most of the time, and using modes from ECO to SPORT. Made it to the top in an hour and a half. Riding uphill in sport is sooooo much fun. I'm sure it would be almost impossible to climb this mountain with a normal bike.

3.7 miles left with 4 bars remaining :) :) Yes it did help me A LOT!

IMG_20170510_121027.jpg IMG_20170510_122018.jpg IMG_20170510_124106.jpg IMG_20170510_115941.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

That's an average of 10% for 6 miles. nice going. Was it worse going down?

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
That's an average of 10% for 6 miles. nice going. Was it worse going down?
I actually enjoyed going up more. :) It was very cold and my fingers were frozen on the way down. I'll try again when it's nice and warm.

But it was nice anyway. Mostly because this is my first full suspension bike. And on top of that also first bike with a decent front suspension. It feels like sailing over the rocks.

Reactions: chris130256

Gl3n_uk

May 6, 2017
Great Britain
That looks amazing :) Nice bike, I have a non electric cube and tried the electric version. It convinced me to by an e-montainbike :)

I'm sold on them, I was in the forest at the weekend. We decide to go straight up to a fireroad. The non e-bike guys carried theirs up 30m

I took a look, put it in turbo and just rode straight up! Amazing, I keep the power down and my heart rate 125 -145

Feel great, stay out longer and smile more.

Would love to try those trails :)

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
Huh, I was in SPORT and couldn't keep my heart rate bellow 180. But the terrain was really hard and steep. Will probably ride some easier trails in the future.
But my HR is one of the reasons I got the eMtb.

Reactions: Gl3n_uk

Gl3n_uk

May 6, 2017
Great Britain
Ah should say I was not going very hard.

Like you I purchased mine to keep up with my mates, they are on normal bikes.

I'm out for over 4 hours now compared to less than 2 previously.

Hoping to get fitter, use less assistance. Even now I'm very careful to use as little as I can but if needed use it to help :)

Gl3n_uk

May 6, 2017
Great Britain
Ah, should have been

Like you I purchased mine to keep 'my heart rate down and keep' up with my mates, they are on normal bikes.

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
One month out of warranty and both wires fail... Not sure how to fix this!

IMG_20180616_144251.jpg

Overall very satisfied with the bike. 2000km mostly offroad with some heavy abuse.

The only thing I don't like are the brakes. Tried everything but are still quite week.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers