Cube Touring Hybrid v Carrera Crossfire

Emmellar

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2018
Well we had a surprise yesterday regarding trialling different electric bikes and I wonder if others recognise our experience....

My wife took out a Carrera Crossfire E on Halfords 48 hr trial recently. We were told not to expect wonders given the Suntour rear hub drive versus the likes of the Bosch mid mount motors.

Anyway the Crossfire was a blast. A genuine delight up hills a hoot on the forest tracks around our place in the Highlands. Everyone wanted on it.

Fast forward much online research and a trial at our LBS on a Cube Touring Hybrid with the new Bosch Active Plus motor. We were expecting wonders given the x2 price tag and all we'd researched about crank motors being better etc.

But what a disappointment! Much more effort was needed on the hills with the supposedly better Bosch motor. It just didn't have that grin factor and left us underwhelmed.

We were then offered a MTB with the Performance CX motor and on eMTB mode it seemed on a par with the Crossfire! Certainly not noticeably different.

Is this a surprise? I would love to know...

We are now in a quandary and in fact I have started looking at converting my wife's Giant CRS 3 but that's going to be another thread!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
people are all different. When you say
Anyway the Crossfire was a blast.
I guess you refer to the amount of assist you get with the Crossfire for the same amount of pedaling from your part. The Crossfire may suit your physical fitness better than the Cube. There are bikes that let you program the amount of assist directy (as a percentage of maximum motor output) and motors that have higher maximum torque and output.
You idea of converting your bikes will save you a fair amount of cash.

Reactions: Emmellar

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I had the crossfire e for about 3 weeks before getting it replaced with the Crossfuse that has the Active plus Bosch motor. And I think you are right there is more oomph with the Suntour rear hub on the Crossfire. There were two big reliability problems with it though and so far in the 4 weeks with the Bosch there have been none
Mike

Emmellar

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2018
I guess you refer to the amount of assist you get with the Crossfire for the same amount of pedaling from your part.
Correct. Not over-thinking it, just initial impression and gut feel.

Thanks for recommendation for conversions. Was looking at them on your site and may get in touch once I've done some more digging.

Emmellar

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks Mike. Not just us then. Shame about the reliability issue. IV7 8GY had read about it elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Beware the Suntour system is very glichy and is not without it's issues. Reliability wise from many reports on here it is an issue that remains unresolved.

Gadfly

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2018
Lincolnshire
I have a Cube touring hybrid but it is a2017 model with the CX motor. There are certainly no issues with lack of power so I can only assume the Active line motor is the culprit The torque figure for the CX is 75nm as opposed to the Active Line Plus' 50nm. Says all really.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
We were then offered a MTB with the Performance CX motor and on eMTB mode it seemed on a par with the Crossfire! Certainly not noticeably different.

In eMTB mode you can get up to 300% assistance from the CX motor. You do however need to have a reasonable level of fitness before your legs are strong enough to get that assistance.

Did you try it in Turbo mode? This also provides 300% assistance, but you do not need to be pressing down anything like as hard on the pedals in order to get this assistance level.

Emmellar

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2018
Ah thats interesting. I whacked it straight into eMTB as I was led to believe that was the top mode - wasn't aware of the point you make regarding Turbo mode needing less oomph from the rider. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
turbo dongle mode is even better ;)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Ah thats interesting. I whacked it straight into eMTB as I was led to believe that was the top mode - wasn't aware of the point you make regarding Turbo mode needing less oomph from the rider. Thanks.
When you get a chance take a test ride with a CX motor and use Turbo mode. You will get up any hill with it. I have heard of other bike shops not telling people on test rides about Turbo mode.

I suspect they are worried about people having accidents. If you take off in Turbo mode it can be quite a shock until you get used to it. The bike surges forward with very little effort from the rider.

When new to these modes probably better to take off in eMTB mode and then switch to Turbo once you have built up a bit of speed. The change in momentum then is not so drastic.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
I have Carrera subway one fitted with 250w tdz2 mid drive kit power is 60nm.
I tried both of the halfords ebikes and found them more comftable than my subway one as they have front suspention.
but they did not hillclimb better than my tdz2 equipped bike.

the halfords ebikes are 50nm.

I then had the chance to buy ex dem ktm bosch which has the active line moter 50nm I do not find the bosch slower than the halfords bikes but you do have to put a bit of effort in , and then it feels fairly quick.

I also tried a 3k merrida ebike with 70nm moter and you can definitely feel the extra grunt.

the newer bosch ebikes have a different moter desighn the crossfuse sold by halfords the active line is 40nm the plus vertion 50nm

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
The Halfords Crossfuse is I think only supplied with the Active Line plus 50nm motor. It's OK and seems to have a very good range - better than Bosch's own brochures. But it does seem to run out of steam on long hills with a steep bit at the end - I have to rest mine for a couple of minutes then it seems to get a second wind and can tackle the last steep bit (in the Dales up Walden valley). But if you read Bosch's website carefully I think they are not suggesting that the Active Line or Active Line Plus even, are intended for doing much hill climbing work. They use the terms 'Visiting friends, enjoying nature, running errands' The implication is that if you are going to do a lot of hilly touring the performance line is better suited.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I’m new to ebikes and cycling in general. My Cube has the CX motor and it’s amazing for getting up hills in turbo mode. Off road I can do a 45 degree incline in the saddle. You need to turn turbo off when setting of in first gear as you can spin the back wheel or wheelie. It also puts too much strain on the drivetrain, especially if you are a bit of a lump like me @ 110Kg

Reactions: Nev