Cube vs Wisper SE

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
I nearly pulled the debit card trigger on Cube commuter with Bosch Active line and 500 Power Pack. :)

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/e-bike-trekking/travel-hybrid/cube-travel-hybrid-500-havanna-brownnorange-2017-ee/

Then I stumbled across this post by egroover :eek:

Now I am back to square one.

I have looked at Gaz's signature and came across https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/wisper/ range.
Now they have commuters with a variety of battery sizes.

I have few questions please. o_O I understand it might be too much. I just need to live a little, I guess. :oops:
  1. How do these compare with Cube?
  2. Against Bosch systems?
  3. I have noticed some of those Wisper bikes have Cadence sensors like Bosch drives. Are they comparable in quality?
  4. How waterproof are these Wisper bikes? Comparable to Bosch drives?
  5. After sales support comparable with Bosch two year warranty?
Thanks,

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,

Before you pull the trigger, do have a try on a Wisper Torque, the build quality is as good, the battery is 575Wh, they are silent and very responsive. The torque sensor can also be turned off if you prefer cadence sensor alone and we have a throttle to regulate assistance. This can save a lot of sweat on a hot day!

We sell most of out Torque bikes to people that have tried Bocsh bikes first. Esp. the Raleigh Captus! Of course not everyone prefers a Wisper, but you should give it a chance.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Crockers and Gaz

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
How comparable are these 575Wh with 500Wh Bosch Power Pack please?
Are these Wisper bikes waterproof? Especially around the throttle?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The 575Wh battery is a classic, Samsung celled with our deep sleep mode, they virtually look after themselves.

The bikes don't suffer with water problems anywhere although the electronic parts should not be submerged. They don't like salt water much and if you do get the bike drenched in sea water for instance they must be hosed down with fresh. I wouldn't suggest using a jet washer on any ebike.

I hope that helps.

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: ncpdnc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
batts wont double in range any time soon more like 2020 and will be silly money at the start.

regen wont work as ur not going 100mph and braking so any system atm is useless if it has it.

if you got the cash go for the bosch but id go with the cx motor and 500w batt as will have better resale value.

a new 500w bosch batt is £700 i have had a 400w one since 2014 and lost about 25% range but i hammer the crap out of it ;)

• :D
Reactions: ncpdnc and Gaz

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree Soundwave, batteries will get better but will cost a fortune for a good few years.

The 575Wh will last a long, long time and when you eventually need to replace they cost just £499.00. This has nothing to do with quality, we simply don't need to make the same profits as Bosch, our overhead is slightly lower!

All the best, David

• Agree

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I have looked at Gaz's signature
Now I'm blushing! :oops::oops:

Have to say I very much like the look of the Cube in your link. If it were me, I'd want to try them both, and make my mind up from there.

The pull from the get go on the Torque is really rather impressive. Better than my Shimano STEPS I'd think.

Gaz

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
batts wont double in range any time soon more like 2020 and will be silly money at the start.

regen wont work as ur not going 100mph and braking so any system atm is useless if it has it.

if you got the cash go for the bosch but id go with the cx motor and 500w batt as will have better resale value.

a new 500w bosch batt is £700 i have had a 400w one since 2014 and lost about 25% range but i hammer the crap out of it ;)
Great.
That cube bike has Active line with 500Wh pack. Commuting objective.

Will there be any noticeable difference in life, range, support, power or any thing at all whilst among London traffic?
The Cube Travel has hub gears and is a relatively low maintenance bike (I guess). I am comparing it with Wisper foldable one. Wisper 806 Torque

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the active motor has 50nm performance has 63nm and cx 75nm.

tho on the flat i doubt you will feel the difference i have not had any batt or motor problems with my bike ;)

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
I own a Cube with Bosch CX motor for a 15km+15km commute. On most days i barely sweat on it, even in really hot italian summer days. And I really love the feeling of the motor.
Having said that I agree that you should test drive the different kind of motors, understand the strengths of each system and finally chose the one that fits your own needs.
Also do note that the cube that you selected is quite different from the Wisper torque step through (28" wheels, hub shifter etc.). If you pick one with similar specs to the wisper the price is going to be a bit closer (but still higher).

Reactions: ncpdnc and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Having both, I'd say the hub motor is your better commuter.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The CX motor is great, very similar in power to the Wisper Torque motor. The Active is very much weaker (and cheaper). I'd give that one a miss. If you are going Bosch certainly go CX, it's a good motor, although in my opinion not a patch on the Shimano Steps MTB8000.

Hi Spinellino! Just back from a trip from Venice, to Catollica, to the mountains between Umbria and Tuscany. I was amazed by the number of eBikes, especially in Catollica, and some really very old models.

What a beautiful country! You are very lucky.

All the best, David

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the active performance and sclass motors are all the same just software limited nm wise buy bosch.

the cx motor is just a bit smaller ;)

• Informative

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
Having both, I'd say the hub motor is your better commuter.

Gaz
Hub motor vs hub gear between these two systems, I guess. :rolleyes:

I have tried Crossfire E from Halford. :) I liked the hub motor but I just can place what exactly I like more about mid drive. May be a price/perception thing? :oops:
I feel like the mid drive has more of a smooth step up to the power compared to a little jarred experience on the hub motor. I have't tried a different hub motor bike though, the one I tried could be a defective one perhaps. :confused:

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
the active performance and sclass motors are all the same just software limited nm wise buy bosch.

the cx motor is just a bit smaller ;)
Now that is definitely interesting. :) I will have to do more reading on that in some dubious blogs to quench my curiosity. :p

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
I own a Cube with Bosch CX motor for a 15km+15km commute. On most days i barely sweat on it, even in really hot italian summer days. And I really love the feeling of the motor.
Having said that I agree that you should test drive the different kind of motors, understand the strengths of each system and finally chose the one that fits your own needs.
Also do note that the cube that you selected is quite different from the Wisper torque step through (28" wheels, hub shifter etc.). If you pick one with similar specs to the wisper the price is going to be a bit closer (but still higher).
Is it the one on the picture? May i ask is it the touring version with derailleur?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I spoke to someone last week who had wisper 905se, and I mentioned the ability to swop between cadence and ts modes via the lcd.
not on this model which was about 1k he said.
so what is the difference in moters as regards nm in the wisper range as the 705 torque is 1600 pounds.
the bosch have no throttles I assume the cube is the same.
why do you think the 800 steps is better than cx
I thought bosch and steps were very similar systems