Currie queries

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
The Izip thread has got me thinking and I was wondering if someone could help with some queries please.

1) What sort of maintenance does a Currie require?

2) How easily is the rear wheel removed (thinking punctures)?

3) Can speed limiters be turned off for that Land's End to John o' Groats car park?

4) Is it possible to pedal past the motor's assistance point, be it due to the limiter or the motor's own limits?

5) What sort of Currie setup would give similar performance to my Bionx li-ion 350? The Currie seems to offer better torque, but how would the Izip otherwise compare with my Bionx, for range and top speed, etc?

My wife has ridden my Bionx and likes the idea of an electric bike for her commute - 8ish miles each way of undulating country roads. She doesn't like the price tag of the Bionx though, and the Izip looks interesting - even if the components are pants, presumably they can be replaced as and when, assuming that the frame itself is OK.

Thanks for any info, ideas, comments, raspberries, etc.

Cheers
Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Nick

Pending one of the long term owners of an Electrodrive coming in:

1) Maintenance should be minimal on this modern version, the days of frequent intermediate chain adjustment and the like are long gone.

2) Wheel removal about the same as that for a hub brake bike, just the torque arm bolt needing to be disconnected in addition to the wheel nuts. The wiring can stay in place for tube or tyre change of course.

3) I don't know about any speed limiters on the Izip version, those I knew had none, but 50cycles may be able to help there. It doesn't actually say anything about a limiter on the 50cycles site, so if it's the usual Currie motor it's speed will go well beyond you know what.

4) Yes. Pedal as fast as you like, the motor has an integral freewheel.

5) I don't have personal experience of the BionX so cannot really compare. I don't think it would lag behind very much though, if at all. Could be a bit slower on the hills though, as it's bound to be quite heavy, steel frame and lead acid batteries. That 8 mile run isn't a problem, but it would probably be necessary to top up the charge before the return run. They don't have a reputation for long range on those SLA batteries.

NiMh batteries are available with other bits from Electrodrive, a bit pricey though.

Last edited:

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi there, and thanks for the info - interesting stuff!

Oh, and how long before we get you 30mph, 1 in 4 unassisted, 100 mile range jobbie - for 50p and a conker that is!

Cheers
Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judge from this Nick.

Nearly 57 years ago when I entered the cycle and motor cycle trade, the newly introduced pushbike add-on petrol motors meant that 50cc was just about enough to operate like our electric motors do on a bike now. The one 32cc model was far too weak.

Today 50cc is enough to drive a moped (scooter) and rider at well over 30 mph and they have to be governed to keep them down to that. They can climb quite steep hills and carry two up in moderate going, and have long range as well. 50cc also powers the Honda goods trike with canopy, windscreen etc that's used for inner city light delivery businesses. There are also 50cc race style road going motorbikes that can be ungoverned to do nearly 60 mph.

So the answer to your question is, probably when you're almost too old to benefit! Such is life. :(

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Hi Nick,

I have the Currie motor on my bike but I don't have IZIP, but I should imagine its not too different.
As Flecc said maintenance is miniminal, only cleaning the electric points to the battery and controller in the 2+ years I've had it.

Taking the back wheel off is no more effort than having no motor as the motor has a quick release from the frame, all easy really.
Its not as powerfull as some of the high tech stuff thats out there but it aint too bad a kit.

I think given the price of the motor £309 on powerscoots.co.uk and £325 on electrodrive the IZIP looks a good bargain at £395.

I wouldn't mind getting the Bionx system, but still no UK dealer :mad:

Flecc... on another post you helped with my problem of the motor cutting out, I got myself some new batteries and now it seems as good as new!
I had to opt for the SLA batteries £60 from powerscoots as I couldn't hold of anyone at electrodrive for the NiHm's maybe they had a long crimbo break!

Maz.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad that's ok now Maz.

Tony Castles is the chap at Electrodrive, and I think he did have a long break! I'd been communicating with him before Xmas but got no email response just after. Maybe he's trying out one of his souped up electrodrives on a snowboard in the Alps. :)

I think I'd be tempted to stick to the SLAs, since that £60 is so much less than the NiMh price.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Judge from this Nick.

Nearly 57 years ago when I entered the cycle and motor cycle trade, the newly introduced pushbike add-on petrol motors meant that 50cc was just about enough to operate like our electric motors do on a bike now. The one 32cc model was far too weak.

Today 50cc is enough to drive a moped (scooter) and rider at well over 30 mph and they have to be governed to keep them down to that. They can climb quite steep hills and carry two up in moderate going, and have long range as well. 50cc also powers the Honda goods trike with canopy, windscreen etc that's used for inner city light delivery businesses. There are also 50cc race style road going motorbikes that can be ungoverned to do nearly 60 mph.

So the answer to your question is, probably when you're almost too old to benefit! Such is life. :(
Yes I remember the Yamaha FS1E (50cc) that could do almost 60mph! I also remember the Yamaha RD125R that could be de-restricted to hit 105mph - crazy!

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Yes I remember the Yamaha FS1E (50cc) that could do almost 60mph! I also remember the Yamaha RD125R that could be de-restricted to hit 105mph - crazy!
The first motorbike I ever owned back in NZ when I was 15 (the mnimum licence age there/then) was a Yamaha RD50, it was similarly fast at getting me to and from school and could carry a pillion passenger. There were no restrictions on motorbikes over there. I was considering upgrading to a more 'racey' Honda MB5 Wasp which could do about 120 kmph :cool:

Although electric motor performance will continue to improve with technological advances, the limiting factor for electric bikes is always going to be the legislation. Thats why I think that the future of the best electric bikes will be with systems where the motor power goes through the drive train for maximum efficiency and flexibility rather than with simpler hub motor designs.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Unless hub-motors get more sophisticated.

I was interested to see that the guy who designed the drive system for the Swizzbee, also had a patent for a similar system integrated into a hub-motor....

Last edited:

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Unless hub-motors get more sophisticated.

I was interested to see that the guy who designed the drive system for the Swizzbee, also had a patent for a similar system integrated into a hub-motor....
Electronic wizardy such as wave form changing and pole switching will never exceed the pure efficiency and flexibility that you can get through using a mechanical transmission with a very efficient electric motor on the end. The only way I can see for a future hub motor system to offer much better flexibility for good speed on the flat while having the capability for excellent hill climbing and overall high efficiency is to have some form of transmission in there as well. Given that there's already a mechanical transmission assembly on the bike and weight is critical, I cant see the advantage to having a seperate transmission in the hub rather than sharing that on the drivetrain (my ideal Swizzbee would have full hub gears with no derailleurs or cassettes). I think the Swizzbee patent users have done the right thing to choose the patent option they have rather than a hub motor arrangement. I imagine that the designer probably just wanted to receive credit and payment should anyone try to use the idea in a slightly varied way so covered all the bases.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Personally, I'd prefer everything out of the wheel. Integrated epicyclic gearbox and motor above bottom bracket (as in the G-Boxx standard), single chain drive to rear sprocket.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Personally, I'd prefer everything out of the wheel. Integrated epicyclic gearbox and motor above bottom bracket (as in the G-Boxx standard), single chain drive to rear sprocket.
That's my favourite too, making the rear wheel simple to drop out and having the motor and gear parts separately and easily accessible for service. In this connection the bottom bracket, motor and gears would ideally be in a single detachable housing Twist fashion, making for an easy exchange scheme on all the complex items in the one unit. This would help overcome the problem of the limited technical abilities of cycle dealers.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
It would also give you the chance to get a decent rear suspension system :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dead right Miles, minimum unsprung weight, unlike these front hub motors that try to rattle one's teeth over the bumps.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Look, just stop it, OK!

I remember the days of Fizzies, though a friend's Garelli Tigercross was more fun!

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Nearly 57 years ago when I entered the cycle and motor cycle trade, the newly introduced pushbike add-on petrol motors meant that 50cc was just about enough to operate like our electric motors do on a bike now.
I don't quite remember those times, and must have been lucky to avoid those bikes, but my dad assured me of the value of LPA (light pedal assistance).

Having just bought a mail-order Cyclamatic Folding bicycle (24v, 8Ah Lion battery, on the small side) for leisure riding only, I'd say the pedelec has already exceeded what those first mopeds would do!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having just bought a mail-order Cyclamatic Folding bicycle (24v, 8Ah Lion battery, on the small side) for leisure riding only, I'd say the pedelec has already exceeded what those first mopeds would do!
In almost all ways that's true, only the higher speeds of some of the 50cc motors better than some. Today's e-bike hill climbing is markedly better.